Take a big breath BEFORE reading...

More
14 years 9 months ago #19494 by DiDi
Warning - this story will upset a lot of people but rather than ignore this situation, I think we have to be aware of who is adopting? animals and for what reason.

www.stuff.co.nz/national/2756912/Owner-r...mily-pet-in-barbecue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #288974 by JEF
ehhh , who cares , the spca says it was killed humanely , food is food for some people

More
14 years 9 months ago #288991 by Kiwi303
I agree, some people have gotten hissy about my suggesting they eat their kunes when they got too large and no longer so cute... but it's still pork. I wouldn't eat dog regularly myself, but if I'm somewhere where it's common like in Vietnam or China, nothings wrong about sitting down to a nice dish of a real regional delicacy. So long as it was killed cleanly, and treated humanely before becoming dinner, who cares what's being eaten.

mind you theres a difference between a regional delicacy that the locals eat, and a regional delicacy that gets fed to tourists with smothered sniggers :P who here has read Terry Pratchetts "Jingo"?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 9 months ago #288995 by OakhengeFarm
If you ever go to Southeast Asia, DON'T eat the "Jogging Beef!

I know it's common in Vietnam, Cambodia and the like, and I think Koreans eat dog and cat, but I didn't know it was popular in the Pacific Islands. Anyone been to Tonga recently? Is this true, or was this guy just trying it on?

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
14 years 9 months ago #288999 by Birman Babe
Well they no longer live in Tonga & they should obey our rules on animal welfare or get prosecuted. Actually I didnt think dog was a Tongan delicacy.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289001 by kate
I wouldn't eat dog or cat myself but then vegetarians feel the same way about me eating beef or lamb so I'm in no position to argue. The article said that the dog was humanely killed and the Animal Welfare Code doesn't really apply to what happens after an animal is killed.

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #289003 by Isla
There's a recession. It was a pitbull-terrier cross. It was killed humanely.

What's all the breathing about?

More
14 years 9 months ago #289006 by JEF

Birman Babe;271187 wrote: Well they no longer live in Tonga & they should obey our rules on animal welfare or get prosecuted. Actually I didnt think dog was a Tongan delicacy.

he did obey the rules or he would be in trouble right now , he was investigated , the dog was a pit bull and theres a recesion on so he was doing himself and the comunity a favour we dont need pit bulls and one less is spot on in my books, the only person who did wrong that i could see was the people that stole the leftovers of his meal , whats he gonna have in sandwhiches for the rest of the week?

More
14 years 9 months ago #289013 by Birman Babe
I dont think the breed of the dog comes into it really ~ so I will now bow out of this conversation ...

More
14 years 9 months ago #289016 by reggit

Kiwi303;271179 wrote: who here has read Terry Pratchetts "Jingo"?

:D :D

Personally, I don't like the idea of eating dog or cat...but I also don't fancy deer or goat or horse or rabbit or...[xx(] plenty of other critters that plenty of other people eat routinely.

And yes, my initial reaction was of shock - mainly because the title of the article and Didi's warning made me assume that the dog had been someone's beloved pet that this guy had got his hands on under false pretences...

But...taking a step back and away from cultural revulsion at eating particular animals...

To me, isn't the most important thing that the animal was killed humanely (as far as the SPCA is concerned - again, I couldn't for the life of me knock a dog unconscious, but I also couldn't do it with any other animal, even pest ones or vermin like rats, still working up to the roosters...), and the chap hadn't misrepresented himself buying/taking a pet dog from someone else who thought he was going to keep it as a pet himself (as probably often happens with plenty of 'pet' sheep and goats after they have been finished with for calf club etc, as their fate cannot be dictated after they have been given away or sold, even if the new owner says 'of course Lamb Chops will have a good home' - by which he means his tummy :()..

Having said that, he has probably broken local council bylaws about slaughtering animals in his backyard, as do those who slaughter sheep and goats and pigs in backyard operations for family feeds...

PS: I have to admit that my first reaction to the breed of dog concerned was 'pitbull - tough, stringy, unpleasant, and leaving a bad aftertaste, which I also have to say is my reaction to them alive as well [}:)] - sorry if that offends anyone, but my experience of pitbulls has not been good...:(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #289039 by DiDi
Well - it seems that I am too soft for you lot. I think it is totally disgusting for a person, given a dog that they didn't like, to hit it over the head (what with a machete?) and then fry it.

Am I meant to believe that a Pit Bull has a weak enough skull to be knocked out with one hit from a bit of four by two? Serious? Hell that sounds feasible. Feel free to correct me but having seen a dog being "bashed" with a piece of 4 x 2 - I will take some convincing that this dog was killed humanely and that is what I am reacting to mostly.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289045 by reggit
I get the feeling, given the comments from the SPCA inspector, who obviously found the whole thing pretty distasteful, that if there had been any hint of breach of the welfare rules, he would have stomped on this guy from a great height.

Where did the idea of a machete come from? :confused: Or a 4 x 2? Doesn't mention the implement used, does it?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #289047 by AdoubleJ
Just saw on TV

Because it had fleas!!!!

Can't think of a better reason ..........NOT!!! [:(!][:(!] [:(!][:(!]

I'm with you Didi

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
14 years 9 months ago #289051 by Seaside
Isla! Welcome back. I love the 'look' the bull is giving on your avatar!

Well, I wouldn't choose to eat dog. I guess this highlights the whole pet v food animal debate. Some people have pet rabbits, goats, sheep, pigs, guinea pigs, fish, others raise them for food.

Was the dog killed humanely, as one of our pigs would be? I suppose that's the main issue. The other is whether the original owner was looking for a new home where the animal was cared for, or did they not care less (I haven't read the article, but half heard it on the news). We gave our dog to a large scale sheep farmer in good faith on the understanding that she was going to a better (working) life, not his dinner plate. I'd be disappointed if he ate her.

Still, I realise that other cultures have different values when it comes to what is OK to eat, and who am I to say that my values are right and others are wrong?. You know, deep fried beetles, sea cucumbers, opium and turkish delight with beetlenut wrapped in a leaf. And to be honest, pigs and dogs aren't entirely dissimilar - yet one I would fry up and the other I would cuddle up to.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 9 months ago #289059 by BillyTheTractor
I just got back from a holiday in Tonga last week, and yes, we heard it was not uncommon to eat dog there.
Certainly way less common than pigs which freely roam around the place, but definitely something that happens.

( ps our holiday was amazing)

Wee Farm

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds