I am organising a pet day

More
14 years 11 months ago #19487 by FraSla
Last year I approached the local primary school and asked the principal if I could organise a pet day for the kids, she said no. So I decided to organise one myself this year and make a big fun day for the whole family.

Its going to be on 17th October - a saturday -, I've got the entry forms out, i've got sponsorship for prizes from CRT, I've got funding from Meridian for other things (probably a bouncy castle and card for certificates). This week I'm going to ring the RDA about horse/pony rides.

Anyway I'm pretty well organised, what I wanted to ask was is there anyone in the district with any friendly animals that they would like to bring along on the day for a petting area? and any who would be prepared to lend a pet to a child who doesn't have one but so they could enter? :D I've put on the bottom of the entry form if any doesn't have a pet and really wants to attend to contact me. So far I haven't had anyone do so but just in case... I have two cats and one dog that I can lend. I wouldn't be thinking you just hand it over and hope for the best, more organise a way for the child to spend time with the animal before the day and get to know it and you be there to supervise just in case (and so you feel more comfortable!)

Also anyone with a house cow that would be milking then? For a demonstration perhaps? Our house cow isn't due to calve until November, and I will try to take my pig Fraggle but i don't honestly know how I would get her on a trailer!!!! :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I'm open minded and I'm looking to learn something everyday. [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jack
14 years 11 months ago #288910 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic I am organising a pet day
Gidday

Bloody good onya mate.

Sorry but we are a bit far away, like one and a half hours each way. but would have loved to help.

You go for it.

More
14 years 11 months ago #288918 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic I am organising a pet day
Good Luck I used to run the farmyard at the waikato A&P show.. and had every animal but horses..alpacas werent available then.. try to get some help.. you will not believe what peeps think that they are allowed to do to animals and have spare cages and pens available to pop a stressed animal or the owner into!!!!
see if the highschool have some volunteers to help you [who have had some animal handling experience].. I had the polytech students to help muck out and they did 4 hrs on 2 hrs off for the 3 days.. dont forget the poop bins and shovels and realise that some will be stolen .. just cos they are there .. and you might be able to sell the fresh manure..
extra water containers and for the humans to wash their hands.. the number with poop phobia will amaze you let alone slober phobic parents, as they blow cigarette smoke into their kids lungs!!!
oh and ban cigarette smoking in the area.. I know its a less of a problem these days but I had major issues, including the ambassador of one country, had a cigar that I had to ask for him to snuff it.. nearly a political upset, but he did send his rep back to apologise. the animals were in deep litter [hay and wood shavings] I got told Id never get a job in the diplomatic corp...

If you really want to take a big piggy then teach her to collar/harness and lead and set up a ramp and feed her in the trailer several times, between now and then.. if possible leave the trailer in the paddock and she can find the food herself, as for the pen when she is there.. after my Sadie pulled the post out holding the gate shut 2 days ago and the damage from her freedom.. Id find a little piglet.. that also can be trained to harness then life will be a breeze
good luck
pack hankies/panadol/bandaides/icepacks/spare leads/brushes/towels etc

More
14 years 11 months ago #288941 by FraSla
Replied by FraSla on topic I am organising a pet day
I won't have time for that unfortunately although it would be cool, and I think i'll give up with Fraggle now i've got too much else to do.

shit have to go just noticed cows have discovered I don't have the hot wire on stopping them from getting to mums pea straw!!![}:)]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I'm open minded and I'm looking to learn something everyday. [:D]

More
14 years 11 months ago #288952 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic I am organising a pet day
You'd be between Waimate and Omaru? Too far for me but I'll post a message on the RCNZ forum and see if theres a bunny breeder down that way who would be willing to promote rabbits.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 11 months ago #289136 by FraSla
Yeah Kiwi we are inland about half between the two, that would be great if we could get some bunnies there. I helped my dog dig some babies up yesterday and for a fleeting moment thought about trying to keep them as pets before I stomped on their heads, I've tried many times before and they always get eaten by something in the end!

More
14 years 11 months ago #289157 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic I am organising a pet day
Get a 7 or 8 Kg purebred Flemish Giant, they'll eat cats alive if they try to molest them :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• Jack
14 years 11 months ago #289162 by Jack
Gidday

My cat is 11 kg and a bloody good hunter. He has brought a live adult pheasant through a cat door. He would love to meet some meet like that.

More
14 years 11 months ago #289168 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic I am organising a pet day
could be an idea to take out some insurance for the day to cover any unexpected events

More
14 years 11 months ago #289196 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic I am organising a pet day

Jack;271361 wrote: Gidday

My cat is 11 kg and a bloody good hunter. He has brought a live adult pheasant through a cat door. He would love to meet some meet like that.

OMG !!! He is bigger than some of my dogs![:0]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 11 months ago #289266 by devan
Replied by devan on topic I am organising a pet day
Holy crap....that's not a cat Jack, its a tabby crossed with a horse [;)]
Whats his name..... i bet it something girlie like tuddles or fluffy lol :D

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

• Jack
14 years 11 months ago #289350 by Jack
Gidday

Me old mate George.

More
14 years 11 months ago #289353 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic I am organising a pet day
hahaha George the dragon slayer....[;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 11 months ago #289363 by FraSla

Kalmara;271367 wrote: could be an idea to take out some insurance for the day to cover any unexpected events

I had never thought of that but honestly I'm going to erase it from my mind, it won't be in my consciousness at all for anything to happen and I'll be busy making sure things run smoothly on the day.

Haha Kiwi thats a big rabbit unfortunately it wouldn't have survived against the JR's we used to have and the giant Mareema we've now got!!

While I'm here I am having an obstacle course for the dogs, and was wondering if anyone could suggest somethings to use or "activities" to have in it. I'll have hay bales for jumps and I've got a water bath thingy and a "beam" just want to make it really fun so any ideas would be great.

More
14 years 11 months ago #289460 by devan
Replied by devan on topic I am organising a pet day
Jack the picture is gone :(

Frasla good for you, bet the kids will love it esp if they are mostly townie kids.
Pity i'm not closer i could have lent ya a goat or 2

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds