Cat psychology poll

More
14 years 9 months ago #19473 by kate
Cat psychology poll was created by kate
Okay cat lovers - a poll for you [8D]

A few minutes ago, the kittens were sleeping in front of the fire. Tash came in through the cat flap and dropped a mouse right in front of them and left them to it. The kittens took off with the mouse and Tash lay down and cleaned herself.

So the question is - why did she do it?

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #288659 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Cat psychology poll
Just to prove shes the "big game hunter" and "leader of the pack"
which is why I would vote for none of the above in the poll ....

More
14 years 9 months ago #288660 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Cat psychology poll
I hadn't thought of that...she is an amazing hunter [}:)]

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #288665 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Cat psychology poll
For the same reason my old tart used to drop a live mouse in the middle of the lounge floor and sit back and watch the fun as the dogs (labradors) tried to tip the furniture over to get at said mouse.[}:)]

More
14 years 9 months ago #288669 by sssnake
Replied by sssnake on topic Cat psychology poll
None of the above. She is proving that if you want a job done properly ie the mouse dead, get a dog :D

~

Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned

:cool:

More
14 years 9 months ago #288673 by kate

sssnake;270774 wrote: None of the above. She is proving that if you want a job done properly ie the mouse dead, get a dog :D

[8D][8D]

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #288674 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Cat psychology poll
I did click "all of the above" because well, they all do fit with the way cats seem to think...but the truth of the matter is that she probably is trying to teach them to hunt. One theory is that the domesticated cat is a branch off the cheetah side of the cat family, and if you have watched any docos on cheetahs, the mother introduces her kits to prey/hunting by dropping a young, still living, gazelle in front of them.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 9 months ago #288675 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Cat psychology poll
The fact she dropped it in front of the kittens rather than just depositing it in a suitably inconvenient place would tend to suggest it was for their benefit rather than for her entertainment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 9 months ago #288676 by kate

ronnie;270768 wrote: For the same reason my old tart used to drop a live mouse in the middle of the lounge floor and sit back and watch the fun as the dogs (labradors) tried to tip the furniture over to get at said mouse.[}:)]

Admittedly, she's done that to us a few times. Sometimes with rats which is more unpleasant [B)][B)] Oh, and we don't have dogs, so she watches us trying to get at it...:rolleyes:

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #288677 by kate

NZ Appaloosas;270779 wrote: I did click "all of the above" because well, they all do fit with the way cats seem to think...but the truth of the matter is that she probably is trying to teach them to hunt. One theory is that the domesticated cat is a branch off the cheetah side of the cat family, and if you have watched any docos on cheetahs, the mother introduces her kits to prey/hunting by dropping a young, still living, gazelle in front of them.

Diane

betenoir;270780 wrote: The fact she dropped it in front of the kittens rather than just depositing it in a suitably inconvenient place would tend to suggest it was for their benefit rather than for her entertainment.

Maybe she likes them more than she usually shows then :D :D

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #288693 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Cat psychology poll
Not so sure about the like/dislike, but I'd say she definitely feels the responsibility. Of course, she could also see them as a way of promoting herself into a permanent supervisory role... ROFL!

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 9 months ago #288718 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Cat psychology poll
You are asking us mere slaves of them, to dare try to work out why they do what they do how big headed can we get :):)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 9 months ago #288778 by clowder
Replied by clowder on topic Cat psychology poll
I think she's wanting to teach them to be totally independent of us mere humans. ;-)

More
14 years 9 months ago #288820 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Cat psychology poll
I think cats love to give stuff (when the mood strikes). I think she was saying "LOOK what i brought for you" and she would have been totally pleased with herself :) could othrtwise have been showing off.

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
14 years 9 months ago #288825 by WalterPark
Replied by WalterPark on topic Cat psychology poll
We had a cat that would store a live mouse in the bath - sides too steep for mouse to get out - we would liberate mouse in the morning - cat never explained whether mouse was stored for him or us.
Same cat also brought home to share with us, (or skite), - live water rat, sausages from someone's barbeque, mouse traps from a neighbour, (this many times).
Jean

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds