How Much do I Pay Models?

More
12 years 10 months ago #19462 by Toast
I have engaged two amateur models (they haven't modelled before) to do a photo shoot for my range of clothing on Sunday.

How much an hour should I pay them? I'm reimbursing them for travel & travel time as I'm half an hour out of town (original venue was in town).

Any help would be good. Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #288555 by Birman Babe
Depending on their age.
My niece did some modeling once (no experience) and she got around $25 hour.
I think the rate was probably high coz its not as if she was going to be there all day.
How long do you think the shoot will take ????
I would base the hourly rate on that.

More
12 years 10 months ago #288561 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic How Much do I Pay Models?
When I was modeling 100 years ago - as an amateur - you were lucky to get paid! Laugh. They may well be happy to do it for nothing just to get the photos for their portfolio if that is the direction they want to go in.

The trouble with an hourly rate is that plenty can go wrong with a photo shoot and there is usually a lot of hanging around doing nothing while other photos are being set up etc so - if it were me - I would be doing a set rate for however long it takes if they are happy with that. If they are young maybe $50?

More
12 years 10 months ago #288571 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic How Much do I Pay Models?
Don't forget to take into account the minimum wage these days is $12.50 per hour.
You could ring an agency and ask them how much amateur models should expect to get paid.
Also remembering these photos will form the basis of your marketing so they should be suitably remunerated for their work.

More
12 years 10 months ago #288572 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic How Much do I Pay Models?
Hi DiDi,

I haven't really got any experience with modelling but I have heard that there often is a set rate, even for professionals.

Generally - it's a matter of supply and demand. I'd offer them what I feel comfortable with and they can accept or decline. Sounds fair, or?

More
12 years 10 months ago #288577 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic How Much do I Pay Models?

DiDi;270655 wrote: The trouble with an hourly rate is that plenty can go wrong with a photo shoot and there is usually a lot of hanging around doing nothing while other photos are being set up etc so

But they are still having to be there for the hours when things that are not their fault have gone wrong, so should be paid for that, IMO :rolleyes: that is time that they could be doing other things...

If I go to a job at an hourly rate (not modelling, obviously! [}:)]) and the clients aren't ready for me when they said they would be, or faff around, or there is a break in the middle while they sort out what they are about, I still get paid for that time, even if I am sitting there twiddling my thumbs, as they have required me to be there [;)].

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 10 months ago #288581 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic How Much do I Pay Models?
Oh I so agree tigger! It's common in the kiwifruit industry not to pay the hourly rate when breakdowns happen[}:)] but they still require the workers to wait. I figure if you are telling me what to do you better be paying me for the privilege.

I was going to suggest feeding the models[;)] but as they are amateur that's probably not going to be an issue....

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
12 years 10 months ago #288583 by reggit

drifter;270679 wrote: Oh I so agree tigger! It's common in the kiwifruit industry not to pay the hourly rate when breakdowns happen[}:)] but they still require the workers to wait.

That really sucks! [:(!] I can't believe they are allowed to do that...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 10 months ago #288584 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic How Much do I Pay Models?
I'd go for a set rate for a fixed time period, If you haven't finished by the end of the time period, then re-negotiate for an extension or another session later, if you finish early and let them go, they still get the full amount agreed on. Remember you are paying for the resulting end product, pretty marketable photos of the items being modeled, rather than paying for the actual work and posing the models carry out.
It's a subtle difference, but it's there. :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 10 months ago #288586 by reggit

Kiwi303;270682 wrote: Remember you are paying for the resulting end product, pretty marketable photos of the items being modeled, rather than paying for the actual work and posing the models carry out.
It's a subtle difference, but it's there. :P

I would argue that with a photographer, you are paying for the end result (and they will quote you according to how long they think it will take to achieve that result, and if they go over that time, they wear it)...with a model, you are paying for their time. Another subtle difference [;)]

Toast, you've probably already thought of this, but make sure it is clear to both them and you whether you are paying them a gross rate or a net rate - and who is taking care of the tax side of things, so your records are straight for IRD. Unless its all under the table of course...:rolleyes:

More
12 years 10 months ago #288597 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic How Much do I Pay Models?
tigger what is 'allowed' and what is 'common practice' are totally different things. Sadly many of the people who work at the kiwifruit coal face are vulnerable (e.g immigrants on limited work permits etc)

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
12 years 10 months ago #288604 by reggit

drifter;270696 wrote: tigger what is 'allowed' and what is 'common practice' are totally different things.

Don't I know it [:(!] and a prime reason why the unions for service workers (in a different sector) are getting so many members now...same thing's happening with hotel cleaners etc being required to take several hour unpaid 'breaks' in the day...

• jdnz
12 years 10 months ago #288616 by jdnz
Replied by jdnz on topic How Much do I Pay Models?
Just Googled it and found the Advertising and Illustrative Photographers Association website. On it they have a standard model release document that you can use as a contract - just to cover everyone. Also documents fees, etc.

The Career Services website has information about rate of pay for models.

"Wages range from hourly and daily rates to a flat fee.
  • For photographic work, models can earn between $30 and $150 an hour."
Hope that helps.

More
12 years 10 months ago #288621 by Birman Babe
For photographic work, models can earn between $30 and $150 an hour.

Yes, that would probably be about right, for experienced models though.
Newbee's, I reckon $25 hr is ample.

More
12 years 10 months ago #288631 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic How Much do I Pay Models?
Hmm, daily or flat fee for newbies would be fair I think, but if they are newbies, here's a thought, maybe 2 or 3 free 8"x10" glossy prints for their portfolio as part of the fee? I think normally to build up a portfolio they buy prints from the photographer, so free prints might make a good lure :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds