Is That Really On??

More
14 years 8 months ago #288061 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Is That Really On??
I haven't read the ads but it is possible that they are getting rid of male lambs hoping for a second lambing which they will then run through to hogget next year. I have seen lambs born up here around May/June so there is time for two lambs in a year if the ewe comes back into heat and the ram obliges.

These would seem a little late for that though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #288065 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Is That Really On??
No. They're selling both ewe & ram lambs & some they don't even know the sex of yet as they haven't actually hit the ground yet. :(

More
14 years 8 months ago #288067 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Is That Really On??
Tigger, yes, thats them

More
14 years 8 months ago #288072 by GloPony
Crikey BB, that's seriously optimistic pricing!! [:0][:0]

The other auction expired but there is a new listing so I've asked a question on it. It'll be interesting to see if they answer.

More
14 years 8 months ago #288093 by wiredkiwi
Replied by wiredkiwi on topic Is That Really On??
I think it's terrible. Only genuine orphans, abandoneds or the small trips or quads should be taken off mum.

And honestly, the prices people are asking for these lambs... cheeky! The bidders need to have their heads read...

I note almost all of them are coloured. At the risk of attracting the wrath of others, I'd suggest a lot of them are off LSB's - not any of us of course - but golly, what a morally dodgy practise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

More
14 years 8 months ago #288120 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Is That Really On??
I don't have a problem with it if they are triplets and they are selling 1 or even if they are selling 1 of twins, as long as poor mummy sheep has 1 baby left

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
14 years 8 months ago #288126 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Is That Really On??
Most of us know the work involved in hand rearing a lamb. We have all but weaned our just about 12 week old orphan twins and it is a huge and possibly expensive exercise. (We have a house cow, so there is no issue). My concern would be the cute factor (and they do look cute) that will win hearts until the first day that an early or late feed is inconvenient, or the weather turns nasty and one has to feed outside or put littlies somewhere warm and dry. Yes, we may end up offering for sale some lambs if too many of the 6 ewes remaining have triplets (we only have facilities to rear about 3 maximum) but in that case it is for the lamb's benefit and/or the mother's.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
14 years 8 months ago #288152 by GloPony
Well this is all VERY interesting!!!

The question I asked on their auction last night was, "Are these lambs orphans or rejected by their mothers or are you taking them off their mothers to sell?"

I now notice that since answering my question with, "Hi there, some are rejected and some are from triplets. Most of their parents have been hand raised and can be hand fed. They are sold to people who wish to have them as pets." they have COMPLETELY changed the wording of their ad!!! [:0][:0][:0]

Where previously they were talking about selling lambs that weren't even born yet in some cases & selling BOTH twins, etc. as well as their wording of, "They really need to be on the mother for 4 days before being removed."

They have now changed this to "They will require to be on the mother or bottle fed colostrum for 4 days before going to their new homes. We are happy to wait until they have been weaned before going to their new homes."

I'm in two minds about this...GREAT if they're now ONLY selling rejects & multiples & are prepared to hold them until their weaned BUT the fact that they've completely changed the wording of their ad to reflect this & were so obviously selling anything & everything previously makes me think that they KNOW that what they're doing is wrong!!!! [:(!][}:)]

So I can't even put it down to ignorant greed, it's BLATANT, knowing greed!!!!!

It'll be interesting to see if they're really doing what they say in their ad now...they're not far from me & I need a (genuine) orphan companion for my little Chloe so I might pay them a visit I think.

More
14 years 8 months ago #288154 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Is That Really On??
Go glopony!!!!! :D

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
14 years 8 months ago #288433 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Is That Really On??
I'd be asking at what age do they wean? And do they mean, by weaned, that the lamb no longer requires being fed milk...

Diane, feeling skeptical...

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 8 months ago #288441 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Is That Really On??
DiDi, only Dorpers, Dorsets and a couple of other even rarer (in NZ) breeds will lamb twice in 8 months.
I personally don't see any problem with making money from 4 day old lambs. It's rather like selling chicken eggs.

More
14 years 8 months ago #288442 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Is That Really On??
Good on you GloPony, wonder if they have had other comments made to them also or if someone has complained about it to TM or other...?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 8 months ago #290579 by GloPony
Well I haven't actually been to see them yet as I've been flat out around here but have a look at the answers on their auction following my initial question & draw your own conclusions.

www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-indus...uction-235560896.htm

My conclusion is that they lied in their answer to me. :(

Longridge, I don't see how you can compare selling eggs with selling 4 day old lambs? Bearing in mind that these people have been selling them younger too. Can you maybe elaborate on your point of view?

Apparently, this is becoming quite popular. Farmlands in Pukekohe are apparently selling lambs off their mothers for calf club. [:0] I just find this unbelievable!! I can't believe there are people out there so hard up for money that they find it necessary to rip fit, healthy babies away from their mothers for no other reason that profit. :(

More
14 years 8 months ago #290663 by Clods
Replied by Clods on topic Is That Really On??
Isn't that what the dairy industry do with calves though?

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
14 years 8 months ago #290854 by GloPony
Yep, but the dairy industry do it so they can milk the cows. These people are doing it so they can milk the public! [}:)]

If there was a good reason for it, I wouldn't mind but it just doesn't seem right to be artificially raising tiny babies (which does have it's own risks) for the sake of a few dollars. It can't be nice for the ewes either to lose their babies so soon & as others have said, what do they do to dry them off?

This isn't normal practise in the sheep industry, it seems to be a new initiative created by lifestyle farmers for lifestyle farmers. From an animal welfare point of view, I personally wouldn't like to see it condoned or encouraged.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds