Is That Really On??

More
12 years 10 months ago #19427 by GloPony
Is That Really On?? was created by GloPony
I was just having a look at Trade Me for a little friend for Chloe (my 4 day old lamb) & noticed that there is someone there who is selling 4 day old lambs straight off their mothers, as pets. [:0]

Fair enough...there are others on there selling genuine orphans & I can understand that (someone has to raise them!) but is it really fair to be pulling fit, healthy babies off their fit, healthy mums to sell as pets??!!

These people appear to be pre-selling them before they've even hit the ground!

It just seems wrong to me. Though I suppose it's no different to calves... :confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #288010 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Is That Really On??
Are they saying they are specifically taking them off their mums? If so, any reason given?

The only thing I can possibly think of is if they are wanting the sheeps milk for something...otherwise wouldn't they have massive problems with ewes with full udders and no way to get rid of the milk...?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 10 months ago #288012 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Is That Really On??
Same issue as last year with that trader taking highland calves off their mums at 4 days old to sell to be bottle raised. Seems to be a common thread........
I guess they are hoping for big dolleros now, rather than wait and see what they get as stores.

More
12 years 10 months ago #288013 by clowder
Replied by clowder on topic Is That Really On??
what about their mums....different to cows as I doubt they would be milking the sheep....:-(

More
12 years 10 months ago #288028 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Is That Really On??
I have a few bottle fed babies:( ...mine are either triplets I have pulled off Mum after a couple of days when it became obvious one was lagging behind despite supplementing and I have two (both one of twins) that were rejected by Mum... that is I found them in big paddock (born overnight) on their own while Mum was off with other baby and on trying to reunite,,,,, well it just wasn't going to happen without a lot of hassel:( To deliberately take a lamb off Mum with no good reason is disgusting .... Wish my lot would quit popping out the triplets this year:(
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 10 months ago #288031 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Is That Really On??
I know someone in the Waikato selling black & white lambs ; shes taking them off their mothers after 2 days. Its a money making thing :-(

More
12 years 10 months ago #288033 by reggit
BB are those the ones selling for the, shall we say, very optimistic price for boys...? :rolleyes:

Crikey, there are some VERY optimistic prices on there for few day old lambs!!! Is this the successor to the 'chicken bubble' on TM??? [}:)][}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 10 months ago #288044 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Is That Really On??

clowder;270053 wrote: what about their mums....different to cows as I doubt they would be milking the sheep....:-(

The cows last year were not being milked either - they were highlands

More
12 years 10 months ago #288046 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Is That Really On??
It sure has the look of a Niche bubble aimed at lifestylers with kids at rural schools.
I notice some are even offering to take the lambs back after pet day. Which I suppose is better than the traditional dump in other peoples paddocks. :p (I am positive one of the ugly ewes I have just "showed up" one day as a big lamb).

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 10 months ago #288047 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic Is That Really On??
The neighbour down the road from me used to take multiple births from his ewes as a single lamb got to the required Xmas weight faster...I think he knocked them on the head if noone wanted them. ....He died of cancer.....

More
12 years 10 months ago #288051 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Is That Really On??
These are all mixed breed coloured lambs that are just being whipped off their mothers for apparently no real reason. I doubt these sheep are being milked.

terralee, your situation is completely different! You're doing what any decent person would do, looking after those who have been rejected by their mum or who aren't doing as well as they might (as in triplets). I'm sure their mums are actually quite grateful! [;)] :p

I noticed the other trader too that's selling wee lambs as a 'package' with a bottle & bag of milk powder thrown into the deal. They're the ones who are also offering to take them back when they're grown. At least they're offering to do that & hopefully, their lambs are multiples or rejects, etc too & they've just found a clever way to get other people to raise their lambs for them.

The ones I'm talking about are up north here. Tigger, they do state, "They really need to be on the mother for 4 days before being removed."

I think it's disgusting too! Surely there are enough lambs available around the place as casualties of normal lambing rather than doing what they're doing?! [:(!]

More
12 years 10 months ago #288053 by reggit

GloPony;270092 wrote: Surely there are enough lambs available around the place as casualties of normal lambing rather than doing what they're doing?! [:(!]

You'd think so, wouldn't you.

Found the one you are talking about, GloPony.

I doubt it would break any animal welfare rules, as others have said, 4 day old calves in the dairy industry etc, but still....

More
12 years 10 months ago #288058 by GloPony
Well it just so happens that I have a copy of the Animal Welfare Act & all the Codes of Minimum Standards. I will dig out the sheep one in the morning & have a look.

Like you, I doubt there is any provision in there for this sort of thing as it's all aimed at the commercial guys really but most of the Codes are in need of an overhaul anyway so I might just bring this sort of thing to the attention of the people that will be reviewing them.

I'd be REALLY interested to know how they deal with the ewes as far as drying them off goes (or whatever else they do). Who knows...they might be into small scale cheese making or something...:confused:

Why do people do this sort of thing?!?! It's like the whole designer puppy thing, etc. It makes me MAD! Hans Kriek (SAFE) would have a field day with this! I can't believe the depths that some of the human race will sink to in their quest for the mighty $$ [}:)]

More
12 years 10 months ago #288059 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Is That Really On??
There's a few doing it with lambs - mostly coloured lambs - this year and from the prices I'd say it's about money, not milk. It really annoys me, and the fact that I can't form an entirely rationale argument against it annoys me even more. And the highland calves.

I thought the 'package' seller had a good idea and those lambs looked to be genuine orphans - I've no problem with that at all.

hilldweller

More
12 years 10 months ago #288060 by GloPony

hilldweller;270100 wrote: I thought the 'package' seller had a good idea and those lambs looked to be genuine orphans - I've no problem with that at all.

Yep, I agree. IF they're genuinely without mothers for a good reason then I think they're very clever people & good on them! Particularly if they're going to take them back when they've outgrown the cute factor. That's a win, win for all concerned. [;)]

As for the others though, I can think of MANY ways to rationalise against what they're doing if they're not milking the ewes. If it's just ripping them off their mothers for profit, it's wrong, wrong, wrong!! They're jeopardising the physical welfare of the ewes & the lambs for a start.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds