Charge out rates ???

More
12 years 10 months ago #19307 by grannie Mary
:confused:What hourly rate do you expect to pay a plummer ( or should I say what is the normal) & also for the mileage.??
Living in the country can sure have its drawbacks

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #286609 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Charge out rates ???
Consumer did a survey of trade charges back in November '07 and for Westland the plumbers' rates ranged from $51 - $65/hour.

Travel charges averaged at $1.25/km nationwide with 88% of plumbers charging travel separately.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 10 months ago #286610 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Charge out rates ???
At a guess, I would say around the $70 to $80 per hour mark ?? Then there is usually a set fee for mileage, perhaps $50 - depending on how far they have to travel, and often also a "callout" fee of around $50 (probably more in an emergency, at night, or at the weekend).
They all seem to charge well and are all similar charges.
But as I have not had to call out a tradesman in quite a while, I may be well off the mark, so stand to be corrected on any of the above.......

More
12 years 10 months ago #286616 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Charge out rates ???

Organix;268488 wrote: Consumer did a survey of trade charges back in November '07 and for Westland the plumbers' rates ranged from $51 - $65/hour.

Travel charges averaged at $1.25/km nationwide with 88% of plumbers charging travel separately.

Thats pretty close to what we paid last time they came here.
If it the pump guy however, it just gets ridiculous...:(

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 10 months ago #286630 by sssnake
Replied by sssnake on topic Charge out rates ???
The plumber I used to install my wetback and cylinder was $55 an hour and I have never seen a contractor work so fast! Jogging around the show plus he got me to buy all the materials on his charge account at the supplier and pay for it there so he wasn't making any money out of it!

His travel charge was $1.15 per km, one way only..... :)

~

Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned

:cool:

More
12 years 10 months ago #286634 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Charge out rates ???
sssnake - so where do you live? Please let it be Franklin. :D

More
12 years 10 months ago #286646 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Charge out rates ???
dang, thats expensive, The plumber that took our wetback out, made a list of what we needed to get from the fireplace and plumbing shops in town, and fitted it back and plumbed it in to the cylinder, only charged $40 an hour and no mileage fee despite living about 30Km away.

Then again, He's a member of the church congregation and my sister teaches his kids music theory and recorder practical. His wife and kids came along while he was working, and while he was on his back wrenching at the pipes in the water cupboard His wife was having a cuppa and a gossip with mum and my sister while I had the kids out on the deck with the air rifle shooting targets :D

Sometimes it's not Who you know, but How you know them :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 10 months ago #286673 by sssnake
Replied by sssnake on topic Charge out rates ???
Sorry Didi, me up North :D

So at $40 an hour Kiwi how many hours did he charge you?

~

Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned

:cool:

More
12 years 10 months ago #286685 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Charge out rates ???
Thinking back to when he was here working away, he actually charged for less time then it took. So all told, we're quite happy with him :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 10 months ago #286716 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Charge out rates ???
Believe me, I know this one [;)].......the hourly rate around here is between $55 to $70.
You may be charged a set fee for the first hour which would include the tradesman getting to site.
Be wary, as some will charge "depot to depot" meaning as soon as he leaves his workshop he starts charging. Hence the hours being charged will not match his time on site. You will also be charged for mileage traveled, approx $1.20/km, this will vary from one tradesman to another.

He could also charge for any trip he does to a merchant. Make sure you explain fully what your issue is so he comes with variety of the parts/ spares that may be needed. Easier for him to credit the un-needed parts when next at the merchant than for you to pay for his time and /or be inconvenienced while he beggers off.

Now if you needed a gasfitter, talk to your bank [;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 10 months ago #286737 by rob
Replied by rob on topic Charge out rates ???
Didi,

i can give you a name of the plumber we use, he charges $60 ph and we trust him.

rob

Rob

More
12 years 10 months ago #286740 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic Charge out rates ???
i do my own plumbing i got buteline crimpers , benders , crox tools and a small amount of common sense its all you need , i did have to arrange a plumber for a property i manage and they charged $2 per km both ways and travel time and $65 an hour and thats in auckland central , its not a highly skilled trade and they probably charge too much

More
11 years 8 months ago #350499 by oldsausage
Replied by oldsausage on topic Charge out rates ???
Hi there, charge out rates for plmbers seem to vary but on the whole between $60 to $70 seems average.From what i've seen this is on par with the other trades such as electricians.Gasfitters should have the same charge out rate as a plumber the training takes just as long.
To become a registered plumber takes 4 years and 6 block courses,followed by a registration exam (3 hrs).
After becoming registered you can't just start out on your own,you have another 2yrs training another 2 exams and once thats done away you go.
As JEF said its not a highly skilled trade.
The reason for doing this training is so you don't go killing people off with contaminated water or blowing people up with a dodgy wet back or cylinder installations.
Definatley have a go at reseating taps and changing washers and cistern floats etc.
But dont be like JEF and get your own gear it's illegal and you could make someone very sick or worse!
Any advise needed just ask
cheers old sausage

More
11 years 8 months ago #350526 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Charge out rates ???
old sausage sorry but IMHO you are wrong it is not illegal, just can't connect to main or connect up waste. Its a matter of opinion if its skilled or not I think it is just like any other trade just case of learning how to do it properly and safely.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds