I have to pill THREE of my kittens every day for six weeks!! All done!!

More
13 years 1 week ago #285582 by Cinsara
I wrap mine in butter, slips down nice and easy if you can unstick it from the end of your finger!

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #285588 by The Kats Place
Don't let him see your fear! [}:)]
I use Yakuts method most of the time, just carm, business like aplication.
Its when they sense that you are nervous about the proccedings that they get tricky.
I haven't tried the putting it on the paws thing, a client told me about it recently but I had no problem pilling her cat so didn't need to do it.
Hubby faffs about like a big jessie [:0] and can never get them down the cat, so be firm take charge and just do it.
Feel the fear and do it anyway :D

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 1 week ago #285696 by beedee
dont have time to read the messages as power going off in 5 mins.. but I give pill prior to feeding, they soon learn pill then food.. and yes the butter or gravy, its wrap and give.. no iffffffs or buttts. and they soon sit and take it from you.. all 3 cats ahve been that good so not just the one!!! and do it fast watch the vet they never hesitate, its in and gone. and if you are worried about a bite then pressure down on the lower jaw with the middle finger and pop pill with the index! the other hand guiding the head to remain on body.. I have used that method for many friends cats over the years and never failed

More
13 years 1 week ago #285867 by The Kats Place
How did it go?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 1 week ago #285875 by kate
Easy peasy...we bought a pill popper rather than shove our (Geoffs) large fingers into Bingleys tiny and well armed mouth. He's had two so far and loves the fuss being made. Fingers crossed that it stays this way :D :D

Web Goddess

More
13 years 1 week ago #285896 by The Kats Place
thats cool! Big fuss before and after the event makes all the difference

kats

More
13 years 1 week ago #285901 by kate
Thanks, he loves big fusses....

Web Goddess

More
13 years 1 week ago #285917 by terralee
We have one of those Kate[^] Saves a lot of .... blood shed[:0][}:)][;)]
Hope he continues to allow you to pop the pill in tho' ... 6 weeks is a lot of pills[B)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
13 years 1 week ago #285918 by kate
I'm hoping so too [:I]

Today should be fun - cat flap training day :D :D

Web Goddess

More
12 years 11 months ago #287998 by kate
Well, Bingley's been a darling so far but we're just back from taking the girls to the vets and they've got it too....so, three kittens to pill each day for six weeks [}:)][}:)]

Web Goddess

More
12 years 11 months ago #288000 by jen
Wow.. that's like a full time job! 3 pills every day... Hope they're all as amenable as the first.

How did cat flap training go? Mine caught on pretty quick...but not without several attempts at biting the flap.. like they were thinking.. "if this damned flap thing wasn't here I could get out much more easily". They'd get half way out and then roll over and chew!! Silly b#ggers

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
12 years 11 months ago #288001 by jen
Somehow I got a double post.. sawry!

More
12 years 11 months ago #288002 by kate
That's interesting Jen, mine never tried biting. They did try changing their mind half way through, trying to go into reverse and getting stuck though [:0][:0]

Cat flap training has been fun :D They've just about got it although Georgiana still prefers to be let in by a real human being [}:)]

The interesting thing is that we have two cat flaps, both very different, and they only know that one is a cat flap. I think they'll cotton on fairly soon as the other one is clear and they stare through it and poke at it with their paws...

The training was slowed down by the game...you know, one kitten goes through the cat flap then attacks anyone else trying to get through [B)][;)]

Oh joy [8D][8D]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 11 months ago #288008 by jen
Ah yes :) When they graduate from 'basic training' they need to sign up for "Cat Flap Etiquette". :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #288035 by Ghilly
I trained Nako to come and go through a window partially open and two strips of carpet to stop the breeze. He came in one side and went out the other.
I used some treats he particularly loved, Shelleys Top Treats. I think they were imported from England. I would hold out a treat for him to come through one side, then go out the window and hold a treat out for him to come back through. The window opened into a sun room and the sun room had a hole in the fibrolite which I had made a sort of sliding up and down hatch so I could keep him in at night. He got the hang of it really quickly..... one way to a cats brain is through it's stomach. Treats treats and more treats. Catnip can be a wonderful thing, if they like it. Nako LOVED it and would make bloody sure you didn't pull it away by hanging onto my hand with his claws. I was safe as long as I didn't pull my hand away until every last little whiff of catnip had been licked off my fingers. Tree couldn't be bothered with the stuff.

You can usually find something that will override their stubborness with learning routines like going through cat flaps.

Good luck!

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds