Greymouth

More
12 years 11 months ago #19144 by moggy
Greymouth was created by moggy
Taking the train there on friday, coming back sunday. What is their to do? Been to shanty town twice, great but dont need a third time, What else is there? won't have a car.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #284377 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Greymouth
About the only thing I can find is the Pancake Rocks.

Wait, found a couple of more things...History House Museum, Gresson Street, says open weekdays and some weekends. Phone 03 768 4028.

Found this on one site:

Greymouth offers a range of activities only minutes from the town centre, including the Art Gallery, Monteith’s Brewing Company and the History House. It is also possible to take a walk along the flood wall which protects the town from the Grey River.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 11 months ago #284379 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Greymouth
hmm so not much to do in greymouth. pancake rocks we have also been to twice.

More
12 years 11 months ago #284384 by NZ Appaloosas
Hubby just said that there's a big greenstone factory in Greymouth, several greenstone and jewellery type shops/galleries, and pubs.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 11 months ago #284385 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Greymouth
:) must be some good pubs in Greymouth i am guessing :)
have a weekend of relaxing Moggy :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #284403 by NZ Appaloosas
Dunno about quality, but I got the impression that there's quite the quantity! LOL

Diane

More
12 years 11 months ago #284416 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Greymouth
my home town......if you are getting off the train not much if you dont have a car but they do have a speights ale house within staggering distance.
The photo galley on main intersection has some beautiful pictures, stewart Nimmo is the photographer, a walk down stop bank is also interesting as there are a few places to stop and remember that the river has come up to the top of the stopbank when in flood.
Not much in town
Pancake rocks are ok we would go a bit further along the coast to Trumans track ..the rock formation there is way more impressive.
The museum at Ross is really good particularly the medical notes from the gold field. .....amputation was a pretty standard treatment?????lol
It was also not particularly effective.

More
12 years 11 months ago #284417 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Greymouth
I think there is some sort of cave boat trip, possibly glow worms? We wanted to go but the kids were too young. Also a boat trip out into the sea to see some sort of marine mammal. Try the visitor information, there were lots of options when we were last there. There is also a dirt go-cart thing (for fun) around a rural property not far out of town.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 11 months ago #284420 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Greymouth
I think greymouth is where they have a hand forged knife place too, you get to make your own knife out of blank bar stock and take it home afterwards.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 11 months ago #284466 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Greymouth
Black Water Rafting.

More
12 years 11 months ago #284521 by moggy

Kiwi303;265925 wrote: I think greymouth is where they have a hand forged knife place too, you get to make your own knife out of blank bar stock and take it home afterwards.

ooh tell me more please that really appeals to me (hubbie thinks I have a knife obsession, can't think why)

More
12 years 11 months ago #284568 by JustHoldingOn
Replied by JustHoldingOn on topic Greymouth
Drive 20 minutes up the road to Blackball. A fantastic salami shop and of course the Blackball Hilton - a must see!! Woops, just re-read your original post, you won't have a car Doh!

More
12 years 11 months ago #284585 by grannie Mary
Replied by grannie Mary on topic Greymouth
Have a look here.
http://www.pininoa.co.nz/p/v/Activities/Attractions+near+Greymouth/

PS Check with your accommodation, they should have plenty of info

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
12 years 11 months ago #284587 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Greymouth

moggy;266040 wrote: ooh tell me more please that really appeals to me (hubbie thinks I have a knife obsession, can't think why)

Barrytown Knifemaking http://www.barrytownknifemaking.com/

it's about 30Km north of Greymouth on the main coast road (SH 6) full day from 9:30 til 4

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 11 months ago #284617 by moggy
Oh me want knife, me want knife!! 9OK Have to convince hubbie it is worth it0

Time to create page: 0.334 seconds