Mould, rising damp - UGH

• Andrea
12 years 11 months ago #19050 by Andrea
Mould, rising damp - UGH was created by Andrea
We had a small issue of this in our daughter's bedroom a few years back, so cleaned and repainted and removed small bit of rotting wood. Under house there was no damp at the time, however since then we have learned that at some point in the house's recent history, there was a water tank perched just outside her room at the back of the house, which overflowed regularly down the back wall. There is some evidence of that in punky weatherboard, but when we pulled up the bathroom floor 4 years ago, it was dry as can be there (bathroom is right next to her room).

So, she's been having allergy problems like never before that I've just put down to general damp/moulds of winter, as we've also got window condensation like never before this winter, and there is black mildew in some of the windows which seems to crop up really quickly (I wash them off once a week or so).

So, to my horror when preparing to rearrange her room this past week while she was away, I found a huge patch of black mildew up the wall next to her bed and white mould/fungus IN the carpet under her bed in the same corner of the room, and a bluey stuff on the surface of the wood floor under the carpet. It was growing in a long pillow that was against the wall, and I can only assume it's in her mattress (which is only a year old!!!) as well.

We plan on demolishing the back end of the house to re-build with a second storey, but it isn't factored into the saving budget for at least 18 months. What can we do in the meantime to make her room safe? She was complaining of a tight, painful chest this evening, which DH says is classic asthma symptoms he had really badly as a child. Will be taking her for tests this week, big fun. Not.

Andrea
Oxford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #282546 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Mould, rising damp - UGH
Oh, and she's been turfed out of her room for now, and happily sleeping on the couch (go figure... she's always like her bedroom for a daytime getaway, but doesn't like sleeping in it... never has, after 5 homes, and 12+ years!).

Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 11 months ago #282549 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Mould, rising damp - UGH
stripping back the lining and lifting the carpet is the only way that you are going to find the cause.
In the UK there was one product I used a lot for treating rotten wood. As long as the wood still had some strength left in it, you painted on this liquid onto it. It killed the mold, but also penetrated the wood and created an epoxy resin in the wood itself and hardened the wood. Any holes in it were easily filled. Oh before using the product you got rid of the really soft wood first.

More
12 years 11 months ago #282551 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Mould, rising damp - UGH
Hi Andrea,

We had a similar problem with son's bedroom. The outside water tap was in that particular corner (still is) and it was leaking making the wall wet from inside the wall cavity but only a bit so that it wasn't obvious. We had the gib board removed and replaced, insulation and building paper installed and new bricks from the outside so that only the framing timber stayed the same. I can only recommend doing this. The room used to have a stale smell and black mould growing on the wall in the corner - now it is fine.

We had tried mould killer before that, also taking the wallpaper off, paint-on mouldkiller and then re-wallpapered. That lasted half a year. If the mould is in the wall it doesn't go away.

I would take the gibboard off right now, spray everything out with mould killer, put in insulation and put some gibboard back on. Poster on top - finished - until you do your renovations. And I would cut a bit of the carpet out, too, clean the floor boards thoroughly, put on mouldkiller.

Can you take her mattress out of her room, leave it for a while and smell it then? I reckon mould has a certain smell so maybe you can ascertain whether the mattress is affected.

• Jack
12 years 11 months ago #282552 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Mould, rising damp - UGH
Gidday

Well you will need to find the source of that dampness. Check the roof. And also the spouting.

What sort of construction is the house?

But in the mean time I suggest you get yourself a dehumidifier in the room to dry it out.

More
12 years 11 months ago #282555 by Andrea1
Thank you, excellent advice from all! Will have to get a dehumidifier in there, and investigate the possible source. The bathroom floor is still unfinished, and only screwed in place, so it's a good point of entry to the corner where the damp problem is. Oddly, there is none in the bathroom! Spouting is ok, had it fixed after the snow bent it a few years back. House is a good ol' ancient Kiwi villa, all wood frame, but the back end of the house was added on in the 60s, lean-to fashion, like you see everywhere. Front half is rimu and kauri, back half is pine. Guess where all the borer is! Might be some of the spouting is draining under her side of the house... Last winter and this have been very compared to the first 4 spent here, hence we're guessing that's why all the window condensation this winter, and probably the mould/mildew in DD's room. Thanks for the detail on what you did, Simkin, that's ideal for now, as we really need a solid bandage till we tear that half of the house down.

Cheers!
Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 11 months ago #282557 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Mould, rising damp - UGH
I would expect that the mattress could be treated to kill any mould spores. I would imagine that steam cleaning it would do the trick nicely, as long as you obviously leave it to dry long enough afterwards.

• Jack
12 years 11 months ago #282558 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Mould, rising damp - UGH
Gidday

Is the wall the damp on, near where the lean to starts or at the bottom end. It could be a flashing problem or even a bit of rusted roofing iron.

But whatever, I think you will have to replace the gib where the damp is worst so get in and rip some off. Unless you can find the actual source of the problem everything else is just cosmetic.

More
12 years 11 months ago #282562 by Andrea1
It's at the back end, where water had poured down at one time, as recently as 3 years ago when the guttering above bent under the snow load, but it wasn't too long before that was repaired. Still, there's a big mess to be made, and not exactly the right time of year to be making holes in the wall of the house. I think it will be a combination of things to hold it together till we get the builder in to have a look at what we want to do renovation-wise.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 11 months ago #282567 by skyline_glenn
Could there be water sitting under the house in that area? or the roof may be too flat and is leaking into the ceiling and down the wall, I see this all the time with lean to additions, they are always too flat and usually have corrogated iron on and not much of a flashing at the change of pitch.

Glenn

More
12 years 11 months ago #282581 by NZ Appaloosas
Use clorox on the wall/floor. Personally, I'd use in the carpet too, as I wouldn't be too worried about keeping the colour at this point. Clorox is what I used when I had a similar problem in Florida.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 11 months ago #282617 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Mould, rising damp - UGH
Put the mattress in the sun, every sunny day that you can, Vacuum it heaps also and get a electric blanket for that bed, it needs to be kept dry, 1/2 hour before bed should be enough.

A small oil column heater for that room, coupled with the dehumidifier would help. Dehumidifiers work better with warmer air.

This will pump up your power bill, but...

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 11 months ago #282666 by Andrea1
Better than the alternative: sick air in the bedroom! It is just temporary, but those are some good ideas, Xartep.

Skyline Glenn, we're going to pull up the bathroom floor (right on the other side of the wall from her room) to see what's what in that corner, because there may very well be standing water there. In examining everything more closely, I've just noticed that at the foundation there, right where the mould is on the inside, is a great chunk of MISSING foundation and a big blob of concrete poured back in under the house. Will be looking at this more closely next weekend, as there's only so much I can do with my bad back. Will have to wait for DH to dig around under there. I'm wondering if some standing water couple with no ventilation under the house there is causing problems in this very damp winter.

Just coming down with a cold, unfortunately, my annual one, always this time of year, so I'm not going to mess with bleach or a mouldy room, so it will have to wait, but yes, I must stock up on the bleach, because I intend to use it straight!

Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 11 months ago #282677 by clowder
Replied by clowder on topic Mould, rising damp - UGH
Hi Andrea
white vinegar is good at killing mould, maybe give a wipe until you feel better and can tackle it with the nasty stuff.

More
12 years 11 months ago #282713 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Mould, rising damp - UGH

skyline_glenn;263895 wrote: Could there be water sitting under the house in that area? or the roof may be too flat and is leaking into the ceiling and down the wall, I see this all the time with lean to additions, they are always too flat and usually have corrogated iron on and not much of a flashing at the change of pitch.

ditto,
builders are shocking for not using enough flashing or for not bending where appropriate....

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds