Diagnosis..... surgery...

More
14 years 9 months ago #18932 by PRU2
Any advice, welcome, as to how to get through the next week. :(

I am scheduled for surgery in less than two weeks, with an MRI next week.
Trying to think positive thoughts, but damn hard when you don't know if it is something "sinister' as the doctor put it.[:0]

Have been uncharacterisically cleaning, you know those things that we all put off, grubby walls, stove etc....[}:)] as am going to be unable to lift or do much at all. No calf rearing for the next couple of months. Only have one Xbred cow to calve early next month, hopefully will be right when the dairy cow calves. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #280725 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Diagnosis..... surgery...
Try to keep positive, rest up and absorb all the warm fuzzy's from all of us on this site. Good Luck:)

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
14 years 9 months ago #280727 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Diagnosis..... surgery...
What a nightmare! I can't offer advice but I am sending good vibes, cyberhugs and have my fingers tightly crossed for you...

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #280730 by PRU2
Replied by PRU2 on topic Diagnosis..... surgery...
Thanks for your support guys :D
Came as a shock as what I thought was a "normal" ageing process [:I], said in passing to my GP, is not.
The urgency surrounding it is what is the most terrifying.
Have med. ins., who knows if things would be speeding along as quickly if it were the public system.:(

• maggies mum
14 years 9 months ago #280733 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Diagnosis..... surgery...
Oh bloody hell! Perhaps the coffee morning here on Monday would be a good distraction!

More
14 years 9 months ago #280739 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Diagnosis..... surgery...
Pru, firstly best wishes for a good outcome. (In my experience the public system can be lightning fast when such discoveries are made, but insurance may smooth some of your way, and presumably removes a small portion of anxiety.)

Do whatever you feel like doing. But imagining the worst possible outcome only is, I think, not helpful. Sure, think about it, but only in the range of things you ponder, because it's not the only possibility. Work with the information you have until you get the next lot. When you do know what you have to deal with, you'll cope with it, mostly because you won't have any other choice but to do so.

I had a few very dark days a few years ago when I'd been told I had a terminal illness and would die in a fairly short time. I'm trying to remember how we dealt with it in the moments as the reality dawned - us, because Stephan and I just hunkered down together and pondered a future which no longer included me. At that stage we were still awaiting the next test for absolute confirmation of exactly how quick and deadly things would be.
After the shock of the first information, the news became the new reality and the basis for thinking about the next steps had shifted, so that how we dealt with each step was ... you wouldn't climb a cliff in a single bound, but a step at a time you get there and I think that's how our minds deal with things. Talk a lot (I hope you can do that with a nearest, dearest) and don't let anything be tabu.

If you are enclined to bury yourself with your closest person/people, nominate some one person to be the contact for others. Other people will have their reactions to your news, but you need to conserve your energy for your own ongoing reaction, so those others don't actually need to have their first reactions to you or in your presence, if you can delegate that. Don't not talk to people if you want to, but don't feel obligated when you're in the middle of the storm of it all.

I don't know if any of that will be helpful, but I hope so.

More
14 years 9 months ago #280742 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Diagnosis..... surgery...
I agree with Isla, having been in a similar circumstance (not so scary though) I just dealt with it the best I could.
Mine was easier as I was eased into it with two relatively minor ops before the big was was thrown at me, so I had time to be prepared. Apart from that, the surgeons etc moved so fast my feet did not touch the ground for the first one, by the time the last one was on the cards I had faith in the team I had working for me, I just let go and let them do their work. L was my rock, he was there every step of the way, I could not have done it so well without him.

The one thing I do suggest is, if you will be bed/couch bound make sure it is in the best place and on the most comfortable couch. Also make sure that you have enough pillows and cushions to sit you up comfortably plus the TV remote and a BIG BELL :D

In this house we reorganised the lounge for my return and convalescence but I still remember a day when he had to go out and I was stuck on the couch, I could not get up [:0] by the time he got home it was getting dire as I was instructed to keep up my fluids..

I will also add, looking back I think I was so shocked and stunned IT had happened to me, by the time I got to grips with it, it was over. Apart from that, there was nothing I could do anyway. (and yes, I did go mental and clean house, washing up to date, all the put off jobs we all have [;)])

You know we are here if you need to "talk".

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 9 months ago #280743 by Pumpkingirl
Pru, all my thoughts and best wishes are with you.

I think Isla has given some very sage advice. I'd just like to add that when you get news like this, you may find some people you know will be peppy and upbeat, because they think it is the best way to help you "cope" - positive thoughts etc.

There is no right or wrong way to process news like this in your head - you may want to verbalise, or not verbalise, be peppy and upbeat or sad and scared.

Having someone who will listen when you do feel like talking and be there when you don't is very helpful, and oddly it may not be the first person you think will be there. When my cousin got sick, it surprised us who stepped up to be there for her and who didn't. I'm still surprised to this day.

Whatever you feel is best for you, is best. That could be anything from sitting in silence by yourself to screaming into the hills. Both are equally valid, no matter what someone else says and no matter how well meaning/loving/supportive they are. You are the most important being right now, in this moment.

Many hugs
PG

More
14 years 9 months ago #280745 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Diagnosis..... surgery...
Thinking of you Pru2 ......you are in my Prayers ... God Bless you :)

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
14 years 9 months ago #280751 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Diagnosis..... surgery...
How static and un-mobile will you be after, for how long? How about Wasgij jigsaws? Great way to keep you still but active and occupied.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 9 months ago #280754 by Birman Babe

More
14 years 9 months ago #280789 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Diagnosis..... surgery...
You are in our thoughs, don't have any more to help than already said better by others you will be in our prayers may God bless you give you strength n comfort.BIG ((((hugs)))) just found how to do that :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 9 months ago #280797 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Diagnosis..... surgery...
(((((hugs)))) thoughts are with you, Pru, sending lots of good vibes your way. If you need anything while you are in Hamilton (assuming that's where the op is taking place) let me know, I am only a hop skip and jump away and in town quite a bit anyway. Will PM you my mobile just in case.

Not much I can do to help, but I do have plenty of Wasgijs if you need some for recovery phase...[:I]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #280827 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Diagnosis..... surgery...
Sorry to hear your news Pru. Buggar! Still you have not had the MRI yet so hang fire and know that positive energy is coming your way from so many people who care. Hugs.

More
14 years 9 months ago #280857 by Westermans
Lots of possitive vibes from our home to your Pru2 :) Keep your chin up eh and we will keep you going so dont worry about that :)

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds