Foreign aid , why?

More
12 years 11 months ago #18926 by JEF
Foreign aid , why? was created by JEF
doesnt it seem a strange time with financial cut backs here in NZ yet our PM is jet setting around the pacific giving out millions of our tax payer dollars , surely its time to say to these people its time to support yourself , sink or swim so to speak , I read the other day that one of these countrys get so much aid it works out they get more spent on them per capita than we do , I dont believe its the governments choice to donate my tax dollars to any other country , especially as it seems to be a bottomless pit of consumption, seriously I dont want even $1 of my tax money spent on aid especially to that country that said they dont have to justify the $4,000,000 we give to them and to just hand it over , I want a tax break instead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #280636 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Foreign aid , why?
If we don't provide aid those Pacific nations will source it from China who are only too happy to 'buy' a presence in the South Pacific. As distasteful as it is throwing money at Pacific basket cases I think it may well be the lesser of two evils :(

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 11 months ago #280639 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic Foreign aid , why?
So let them go to china for aid , they are trying to threaten us with going to china for aid which is a good enough reason in itself to not help them

More
12 years 11 months ago #280667 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Foreign aid , why?
A few million in aid is a handy way for us to justify a monitoring of what is going on in our back yard. If we just up and leave these small nations to their own devices we will likely be rudely awakened by a Chinese military base or two popping up very close to home.

I don't look on that aspect as paranoia, just a South Pacific neighbourhood watch :cool:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 11 months ago #280729 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Foreign aid , why?
Because they need it and the sums involved are a drop in the bucket.

hilldweller

More
12 years 11 months ago #280732 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic Foreign aid , why?

hilldweller;261909 wrote: Because they need it and the sums involved are a drop in the bucket.

They need to pay for there own stuff or down grade their standard of living , while we still have sub standard schools and long waiting lists in hospital then we shouldnt be giving money away

More
12 years 11 months ago #280765 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Foreign aid , why?
Another aspect is - the worse the conditions in the pacific nations the more are coming here for schooling, medical treatment, the dole etc. It's much cheaper to keep them happy over there.

4 million Dollars is a lot of money for NZ to give but it would only be a miniscule amount for a country like China. Personally, I don't want a Chinese military base in Samoa or Rarotonga either.

JEF - it's in all our interest to support our Pacific Neighbours. These are people who look up to New Zealand, are greatful for whatever they get and if you look at statistics - they are good people.

I think that our tax Dollars could be put to better use than building sports stadiums and throwing tens of millions at certain sports to yield a handful of medals. I think everybody has got preferences and there will be plenty of people who disagree with me. Our government has to make concessions and it will never please everyone.

More
12 years 11 months ago #280782 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Foreign aid , why?
Nobless oblige.

NZ gives less than 0.7% of its gross national income in aid and about half of that goes to the Pacific. That's an embarassingly low amount compared to other developed nations. Like it or not, we have a leadership role in the Pacific and with that comes responsibilities and obligations.

Yes, it is chequebook diplomacy in the way that it is now being used (taking it from NZAid which was an autonomous agency within MFAT and aligning it to strategic goals to decide where money is spent) and personally I would much rather it be spent on aid where it is needed under an agency such as NZAid without regard to politics, but Mr McCully doesn't agree [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds