Lemon cars - website?

• Andrea
12 years 11 months ago #18907 by Andrea
Lemon cars - website? was created by Andrea
We'll be looking for a new-to-us caar next week, so wondering if there is a lemon car website we can spend some time with this weekend. My googling has not been very fruitful today...

If anyone has any personal experiences with specific cars to avoid, that would be appreciated as well. We're after a mid-to-late 90s commuter car, preferable a 2-dr hatchback, but can be a 4-dr, pref a manual, but I know they're getting harder to find in the newer cars... Have mostly had Toyotas and Hondas in the past. The Honda Logo looks pretty good, though I see many of them on TM have had cam belts replaced already (which I know can be an issue with some makes).

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #280464 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic Lemon cars - website?
By the Dog and Lemon Guide to vehicles (about $30 from memory) - best thing we ever did as it gives you the lowdown on everything. We are still looking for a good ute - hubby, now wants a Ford Ranger and both of us couldn't stand the new Toyota Hiluxs - we are not tank drivers!

More
12 years 11 months ago #280469 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Lemon cars - website?
I also recommend the Dog and Lemon Guide. It's available from most decent-sized news agents or book shops - it's usually with the magazines. I have one from a few years ago and I still refer to it whenever we or a friend are toying with buying a vehicle (was $20 when I bought mine). My car is 18 years old now and I've had it for 11 years and things are starting to go, so when we have the money, I'll be checking out my guide again!

I'll paraphrase what it says about the Honda Logo to give you an idea:

It describes the Logo and 'cute and practical' with all the Honda advantages - easy to use, fuel efficient, and 'nippy' for a small car. However, it's not exactly 'fun'. I have to quote this bit, it's so funny: "The interior is a sea of bland plastic, the seats are relatively unsupportive and the handling was apparently designed by a lawyer". The Logo does its job, but if you can afford the Jazz, go for that instead. The guide goes on to list common problems (in each category, eg engine, gear box, brakes, etc) and gives its crash protection rating. Fuel efficiency is 15.6km/litre.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 11 months ago #280490 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Lemon cars - website?
Not 'lemons' exactly, but this one might also be useful www.rightcar.co.nz/

hilldweller

More
12 years 11 months ago #280573 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic Lemon cars - website?
From what you have mentioned just stay with the tried and true, either a Toyota Corolla, or a Honda Civic :)

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
12 years 11 months ago #280582 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic Lemon cars - website?
I hate to sound racist but try to avoid anything european

More
12 years 11 months ago #280588 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Lemon cars - website?
Thanks, all. DH picked up the book today, so we're set to study up this weekend. There are some good deals out there right now, with lots of little extras at dealerships (which we usually avoid like the plague!) these days. We've been saving for this day (when the little Honda City dies... it's on its last legs, as it's driven hard, and it's 21 years old). Other car is a Toyota Estima, as some here may remember, and it hasn't exactly been problem-free. But that we're sort of chalking up to having been a rental vehicle before we bought it, so probably not looked after as well. After driving the wee Honda for nearly 7 years, 5 days a week, minimum 130 kms/day, and putting nary a cent into it except for fuel (does 650 kms/tank!!) and new tyres, it didn't pass the last WOF for a variety of reasons and then had alternator probs last week.

Anyway, sorry to babble on. I hate car shopping. One of those necessary evils.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 11 months ago #280591 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic Lemon cars - website?
I bought the dog and lemon guide from whitcoulls for $20 (i think) and thats been good value , they rave about cars like toyota corrollas , daihatsu charades , and subaru forester , we ended up buying the forester 4wd turbo , only complaint is its too powerfull but its so good in the wet on gravel and on mud

More
12 years 11 months ago #280717 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Lemon cars - website?
Andrea i do 130km per day as well and i use a 1995 nissan sunny auto. Get 6.0L/100K`S = 47 MPG out of the old girl which i think is pretty good. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
12 years 11 months ago #280825 by Andrea1
That's brilliant, TKF! Just checked the Dogs and Lemons book, though, and it's not very highly rated crash-test wise, and with the rising number of insane accidents around here lately, that's something we're looking out for this time.

Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 11 months ago #280833 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Lemon cars - website?
Andrea, I am in the same position. My car has been written off :(
Seems the little damage I sustained in May is more costly to repair than my car's market price [:0]. I can't believe my little trustworthy Applause is nearly worthless. :(
I have made a deal with the insurance coy and will keep her for now but I am on the hunt. My first move will probably be to prowl a busy car park to see what shapes and styles are out there, see what I like and don't like. At least no dealer will be jumping out at me there.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 11 months ago #280837 by Andrea1
I'm sorry to hear about your great wee runner, and hear you about the dealers, spoook! Did I mention how much I hate car shopping? [xx(][xx(][xx(] What happened to your car??

I've been eyeing up cars all week as I've been out far more often than usualy (nearly every day this past week!). Have to say thanks again for the advice to get the Dogs and Lemons guide, as it is great! Really detailed, and really surprising, especially with regard to the safety aspects.

Looking at Toyota Starlets, Corollas and Vitzes (what a horrible name!), as over all they are quite good.

We did decide to go to a Toyota car yard to look at and test drive, but then go private for a sale, as prices that way are considerably cheaper, at least according to my research this week.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 11 months ago #280976 by spoook
The only damage is front right rubber bumper has very fractured/ missing paint and a little bend on the front wheel panel. The lens cover was smashed but we have replaced that for $23!
I still can't believe the repairs are more than the car's worth [:0]
I still have her Andrea, once the repairs are done I can insure her again.... probably only 3rd party for now. Still have yet to find the criteria for "repairs" so she can be insured. She it totally roadworthy, nothing changed in that matter.

Andrea, the Dog and Lemon book, how much would it be to post? What are the dimensions please?

More
12 years 11 months ago #281007 by Andrea1
You can get it in most book shops, it was $25. Posting would be $6.50 due to size, and that'd be using NZ Post, I think. (I only know that of the top of my head because I just posted out something of nearly identical size and weight last week.)

That's weird! Wouldn't it be cheaper to get the fix done than spend thousands on another vehicle?

I know our old Honda is only worth about $250, but we spent about $600 on it a few months back so it could get its WOF. It was only meant to cost about $300, but ended up being double, mechanic (who we've been using for 6 years) was at a loss to explain, so has since been asked to let us ALWAYS know if things are going over estimate, as we'd rather have put the $$ towards a new car.

Cheers
Andrea

More
12 years 11 months ago #281295 by spoook
Thanks Andrea, yes the fix would be less hassle but I have had in my mind a niggleing thought of a (sort of) new car. She is getting on and is economical and I love her to bits but.... she is getting on.
I am going to post this before I re-read it and wonder why I end up on the scrap heap [}:)]

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds