Egg growers -another headache

More
12 years 11 months ago #18873 by beedee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #279976 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Egg growers -another headache
Well BD, a lot of what is outlined there is already here!

Luckily Salmonella Enteritidis is not, but lots of other varieties are.

The general public, and indeed the backyard chook farmers would be suprised at the amount of testing that goes on in the background of the poultry industry.

Those farmers which have over 100 layers and have an RMP or resource Management plan will be aware of the mandatory testing and paperwork that has to be done. Farmers who are part of large organisations producing meat chickens, hatcheries, processing plants and well run egg farms will be only too aware of the amount of routine salmonella testing.

Hatcheries and Processing plants are swabbed daily, especially after they have been cleaned down after the days work. Samples of the dust, fluff and hatch debris are taken as well as off the hatchers and buildings after they are cleaned.
In the chicken processing plant swabs of birds coming in, the rinse water, the carcases and the cleaned surfaces are done. In the growing sheds swabs are taken while the birds are growing as well as before they are placed. Breeding farms are tested 6 weekly throughout the life of the flock.

Samples of feed and clean shavings are regularly taken, plus of the cleaned and disinfected shed before the chicks are placed. This applies to breeders as well meat chicken.

If problems are detected or suspected then samples of a wider nature are taken. When we discovered an unusual strain of Salmonella in one of the breeder sheds I was running we took samples of mice and birds caught outside the shed. I even got over the fence and took a soil sample of the soil from a field of broccoli next door... and voila... the market gardner next door spread chook poo from a farm several kms away and guess what it contained? [:0] The dust from the cultivation was sucked into the sheds by the fans. The staff had to shower and change before they went into the shed complex and stayed inside all day so it wasn't them!

I can hear someone asking well what is done if salmonella is detected?

I'm talking from the point of view of a large commercial company here. Well it takes 4 days to get it grown, then it is typed.
Getting a phone call from the lab is the most heart sinking feeling! Depending on the type and potential severity then action is taken. If it is a positive in a clean shed, it is cleaned, sanitised and retested-hopefully there is still time before the birds arrive.
If it is clean shavings-it is taken out dumped and shed re cleaned. If it is feed it is sent back to the mill-which also tests feed and swabs delivery trucks. If it is found in live birds then several measures can be taken.
I have killed 4 dayold chicks (thousands of them) when it was found the hatchery swabs were positive when they hatched.
I have killed 40 week old breeders (we used it as an exotic disease control excercise!) I have treated a flock of valuable breeders with Baytril, until their tests bccame negative.

The discovery of Salmonella is very depressing and a large part of my job as a Breeder manager for a large company was spent arranging testing, reporting results, dealing with problems associated with it. Latterly we were able to vaccinate against many of the common strains and all breeder stock and commercial layer pullets are vaccinated these days.

However salmonella is very common in the wider environment, in all classes of stock and also found in wild birds and other species.
Poultry are not the only salmonella carriers, but eggs and meat are an ideal medium for it to grow once they get contaminated.

I think if many of you were to test around your birds/animals salmonella would be lurking-so be very aware of hygiene when around livestock-even sparrows on cafe tables!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 11 months ago #280000 by beedee
Im sure it is, and in a way glad... but guess this will be another thing to slowly come on down here.. a little slower that H1N1.
no wonder establishments use egg powder thats been past-your-eyes and no fresh eggs unless a menu one.

More
12 years 11 months ago #280005 by reggit
From what I have read, we are miles ahead of US on testing and putting management in place to deal with this sort of thing, in all aspects of growing and processing.

US had/has massive problems with E.Coli in food also. Apparently the food industry there and its very powerful lobby groups are still arguing that as these sorts of bugs are 'naturally occuring' they should not be required to test for them or treat them as contaminants, and they shouldn't be held accountable to deal with them in the food chain/when there are outbreaks.

It is also an issue with the amount of antibiotics being used in their intensive farming, and the resistance issues that are starting to be encountered with some bugs...

Happy days :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 11 months ago #280019 by mikethebike
Back in the 1980s in the Uk the egg industry was virtually destroyed by a certain politition known as Edwina Curry when she stated on national tv that virtually all of britains flocks were infected with Salmonella, It is present in the enviroment in any event and I think that Ducks are particularly prone to being carriers, But as with all possible contaminents in food sources, Hand & kitchen hygene plus cooking properly is the best protection from food poisoning.

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
12 years 11 months ago #280025 by reggit
I remember reading about the 'Curry-ed eggs' scandal at the time, MTB :D no laughing matter for the industry though...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds