feeding a foxy

More
14 years 11 months ago #18837 by kaponga
feeding a foxy was created by kaponga
We have a new addition to the tribe here; a foxy pup, aged 8 months. She's been underfed - ribs are showing and she's pretty thin. I'm used to border collies who run off food as fast as you can feed it to them. And a lab that is food orientated. Medium sized dogs that get full sized tux biscuits.

So how much does a terrier eat of these pea sized biscuits? Any advice would be great

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #279233 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic feeding a foxy
Are there any instructions/quantities on the bag? Imagine it varies according to feed type and age. I know our 11 year old foxy cross only gets 2/3 cup of Science Diet seniors bikkies (the little ones) twice a day and that keeps her weight at an optimum...

Foxys are real scavengers in my experience and will eat whatever they can find...they will also really run off food as well, but on the other hand, can run to fat as they get older. So the amount it gets will change throughout its life!

Photos compulsory, by the way! [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 11 months ago #279237 by digby
Replied by digby on topic feeding a foxy
I think our foxie is thin. I asked the vet about him and he said he was "perfect" condition. Yes he runs it all off .... or burns it off as nervous energy as he watches our piglets.

Bye
Digby [:)]

• UsBlacksheep
14 years 11 months ago #279243 by UsBlacksheep
Replied by UsBlacksheep on topic feeding a foxy
We've got a Jack Russell x Foxy..not quite a year old and feed him "small breed" junior-Nutrience..He gets approx 2/3c twice a day..Gets a little porky on that amount if he dosent get enough exercise! He hates the wet and mud which is in excess here at the mo..[;)]

More
14 years 11 months ago #279257 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic feeding a foxy
My foxie X keen, starts off the morn with an inch of butch dog sausage, then the morning tea consists of cleaning out the porridge pot for the pigs.. finds any hen pellets that might fall outside the cages.. challenges the cows and goats for a share of the potato chips they get.. aims high for the cat dish on a 1.6m tall tower.. then digs up a bit of something that has been marinating the last week in some wee hole...
to get her into the house, she has a handful of beneful biscuits.. she doesnt like the high powered hills and science, tho I do mix them in..
then a few paper tissues... maybe a sock, and if she can get into the pantry some peanuts!!! as enticements she likes the tux kiwigrill small biscuits.. and I think those who know her would say she isnt fat..
will eat the odd banana/apple bit and even raw carrot.. but will leave the baked spuds on the hearth alone that are for the pigs lunch.. maybe cos the skins are usually burnt.. and it takes me all my time to stop her getting into the chocolate milk that goes with the porridge..
so a well balanced and nutritious diet according to her.
I got her at 5wks and since she was left at home for long periods she got used to food being ad lib, so wont eat unless she wants to.

More
14 years 11 months ago #279272 by Waffling Milk Maid
Replied by Waffling Milk Maid on topic feeding a foxy
my foxy X generally gets about a cup of food a day, though that amount is a little less than previously now that she's 11 years old and not burning it off as much! The amount will also differ on the quality of food, and I'm feeding a higher energy food at the moment for the poodle (in a lame attempt to get her to gain weight... *sigh*) which is also why I've dropped the amount down.

Makes no difference if I split it into two meals or once a day, it equals about a cup. When she was younger it'd generally be a heaped cup, so similar to the 2/3 x2 a day that others are feeding too.

I'd be giving her probably 1.5 cups a day for now, as at 8 months old and underweight she'll be full of energy and burning off a lot and needs to gain a bit. Once she's at an ideal size (foxys are good when they're LEAN. Not skinny, but nice and lean!!!) I'd probably drop it back a tad to just over a cup, maybe 1.25 cups...?
Keep tabs on her weight; seeing the outline of last couple of ribs on a foxy, especially when running around etc, is normal and a good weight usually.

You'll find it the right balance once she's fully grown and more consistant in energy and all done growing etc! :) Do watch them, they'll scavange food too, and fat foxys just ain't pretty! lol.

Owned by a standard poodle, a couple of burmese cats, a miniature horse, & a budgie.
Also proud mum to Caleb and Piper

• maggies mum
14 years 11 months ago #279273 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic feeding a foxy
Max used to have 1 cup of copra rice a day, but we went back to the Tux Country biscuits and he has 4 of those a day....plus what ever cat food he can get away with stealing!

He's getting a bit rotund so may have to make sure he doesn't steal any more cat food.

More
14 years 11 months ago #279280 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic feeding a foxy
Foxy are known for getting "rotund" so 1 cup good quality biscuits should be fine. But, then again, it does depend on the brand of biscuit you are feeding. If you have access to raw chicken necks, they are great for dogs and cats, and keep their teeth reasonably clean .....

• maggies mum
14 years 11 months ago #279282 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic feeding a foxy
Thats why we went back to the Tux biscuits, they do a great job at cleaning the teeth!

More
14 years 11 months ago #279293 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic feeding a foxy
BB chicken necks stink too much after a week in the ground.. She got them when she was a pup.. but now likes her meat marinated too much.. so the only raw meat is her big canon bone that is on a chain so it cant be taken under the house.. also a good tooth cleaner..

More
14 years 11 months ago #279321 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic feeding a foxy
Should she not be on a good puppy food at 8 months until at least 12 months or a good weight, particularly as she has been underfed. Thinking bone development etc. Perhaps even give her some of that puppy milk for a while?

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds