Jury Service - how often are you called?

More
13 years 1 day ago #18812 by reggit
For the last few years (well, probably the last 20!) I have received jury summons about 3 times a year.

Each time I explain that as I am a sole trader contractor working on an hourly rate, if I am unable to work due to jury service, I don't get paid, so am at a financial disadvantage.

If circumstances allowed it, I'd be happy to be on a jury as I think it would be really interesting... what is frustrating is that the two years I did work inhouse at a council where jury service is covered and there were other people to cover for me if I was away (my biggest problem now), I was never summonsed! [:(!]

Anyhoo, last time I got the notice I called up to ask how they selected and was told it was totally random. I find that hard to believe as in that time, my hubby has never had a jury summons, not once! If I am that 'lucky' with a random selection for this, I should be buying Lotto tickets!!!

I also asked if I could be put on a list of 'please excuse until further notice' rather than all this paperwork both ends three times a year, but was told that was not possible. So the little exchange of papers between myself and the district court will just continue for the foreseeable future...

How often do others find themselves being called up? :confused:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 day ago #278676 by Organix
I received a mail delayed jury service back in the late 1980s which was after the event so I was a 'no-show' on that one.

In 35+ years of working life that has been the only one :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

• maggies mum
13 years 1 day ago #278678 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Jury Service - how often are you called?
I got called up once, but in the UK and ended up on it for 5weeks, after the intial interest bits, boy it got bloody boring!

I know in the UK that unless you have a really good excuse..ie dead!! You have to do it.

BD got called up here but his work got him out of it!

How many times can you turn it down here before they say tough luck, ya gotta do it!?

More
13 years 1 day ago #278680 by reggit

maggies mum;259698 wrote: How many times can you turn it down here before they say tough luck, ya gotta do it!?

So far about 20 x 3 times and counting...?? [:0]

Unless they change the jury service allowance to a reasonable per day amount (and I don't mean reimburse your actual earnings, but a bit more realistic than $40 a day which is what I think it currently is?) I can't see that you will ever get a true cross-section of society on juries...

I have a feeling someone told me recently too that there is a catchment area around each court outside of which they don't troll for folk as the transport costs are too high...?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 1 day ago #278682 by wyseyes
In the same boat.

Have a stock letter I send out on a letterhead, saying the same thing each time.

Same result so far...

I too would like to attend, but no-one volunteers to pay the bills and mortgage if I do.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 1 day ago #278683 by reggit
How often do you get called up, wyseyes?

More
13 years 1 day ago #278684 by moonshiner
Got called up four times a year for three years, none of which I could attend and none since......

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

More
13 years 1 day ago #278685 by Kiwi303
me? Never in my life. probably because most of the time I'm outside the catchment area, but when I was living within city limits, never...

Anyway, they wouldn't take me, all I have to say is 1 little 4 letter word and they would tell me not to bother to show up for selection :D I bet some of you who know me can guess what that word is :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 1 day ago #278688 by moonshiner
Ammo? :D Btw am back at work, must move these cylinder heads...... :rolleyes:

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

More
13 years 1 day ago #278690 by reggit
I was going to say Waco [}:)] but I know what Kiwi is getting at, the evidence would go through one ear and not out the other [;)] :D

More
13 years 1 day ago #278691 by wino
twice in the nearly 30 years I've been on the electoral roll.

First one I was breastfeeding a smallish baby and was excused. Second time I showed up, along with about 80 other people, for a high court case, the only one scheduled for that week. Trouble was the defendant didn't bother showing - in fact was missing. So I was back at work by 10am.

Husband has been called three times, has been excused once, and not selected twice.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 1 day ago #278692 by kate
I've never been called...

Web Goddess

More
13 years 1 day ago #278693 by reggit
My name must have a special little 'pick me' mark next to it then! [:(!]

More
13 years 1 day ago #278696 by jeannielea
I was called and selected once when we lived in Wgtn. Because it was a rape case I was excused for the next two years, but it wasn't even up when I got another call. Had moved up here by then so was able to say I wasn't in the area. But I know of a number of people who keep getting calls and others who never do so I think they put you on a 'good to try' list if you either turn up, or ask to be let off with a reasonable excuse.

• Toni - Northland
13 years 1 day ago #278700 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Jury Service - how often are you called?
Never been called, but would love to be.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds