I'm going on satelite broadband any minute!

More
14 years 8 months ago #18783 by witheze
Installer is on the roof, I'm going from speed in the 40s to over a thousand kbps... then changing down after 3 months to a lower speed probably. Will let you know how okay it is you can be sure. They [Farmside] are upping all their speeds on the 1st of July. It will cost me $5.00 a week more than extra on the Discovery plan, plus $150 installation, a field day special. But as you have to go on the more expensive plan for 3 months it works out no cheaper. And I'm locked in for 2 years. Whoopee!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #278160 by kate
So....how is it?

Web Goddess

More
14 years 8 months ago #278163 by sod
Waitting to hear how it goes:)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 8 months ago #278178 by Organix
First visit should be to Consumer Broadband Speed Test to see if Farmside's performance comes up to anything near what they're promising.

Be interested to know what Down and Upload speeds they are getting these days :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 8 months ago #278221 by witheze
here I am.......the installer made goggle my home page and techs have been trying to get me on internet to no avail, could get emails tho.....finally noticed after trying everything and feeling a fool.....that the installer was using GOGGLE not GOOGLE....:rolleyes: now all fine and dandy......for now......their speeds all double on 1st July supposedly......now have 100 mbps whatever that means ?????Haven't tried anything else than this post......work to do.

More
14 years 8 months ago #278279 by Organix

witheze;259201 wrote: here I am.......the installer made goggle my home page and techs have been trying to get me on internet to no avail, could get emails tho.....finally noticed after trying everything and feeling a fool.....that the installer was using GOGGLE not GOOGLE....:rolleyes: now all fine and dandy......for now......their speeds all double on 1st July supposedly......now have 100 mbps whatever that means ?????Haven't tried anything else than this post......work to do.

I very much doubt it! Click on the link on my earlier post (Consumer BS Test) and then just push the red button and you shall have your Download and Upload speeds. Easy peasey :)

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 8 months ago #278290 by skyline_glenn
Wow, just did the test and got 1.37mbs download and .1 upload. That sounds really slow for broadband or is it average?

Glenn

More
14 years 8 months ago #278294 by Xartep
4.31 download 2.55 upload

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 8 months ago #278299 by eelcat
3.26 download and 0.58 upload - the upload seems very slow?

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
14 years 8 months ago #278303 by DiDi
4.33Mbps download and 1.3Mbps upload (the upload I agreed to with my package). It can be increased by the provider but I guess you pay for it.

Are you all writing it correctly as in it should be Mbps as opposed to mbs?

More
14 years 8 months ago #278307 by Birman Babe
I have 100.0 Mbps and thats the lowest rate with my provider.
The more you increase, the more you pay.
I dont think 100.0 Mbps is too bad after having dial up for all those years ...

More
14 years 7 months ago #278355 by Organix
6.53 Download and 0.73 Upload here at home. Excellent for a wireless broadband system!

BB you are confused in quoting 100Mb/s. In a perfect word your system might be able to do that but I'll guarantee you're getting nowhere near that in reality :) Do the test and see.

More
14 years 7 months ago #278365 by foufee

Organix;259342 wrote: 6.53 Download and 0.73 Upload here at home. Excellent for a wireless broadband system!

BB you are confused in quoting 100Mb/s. In a perfect word your system might be able to do that but I'll guarantee you're getting nowhere near that in reality :) Do the test and see.

Either that or the network between the computer and the router is 100Mbps (which is pretty standard).

More
14 years 7 months ago #278388 by Organix

foufee;259353 wrote: Either that or the network between the computer and the router is 100Mbps (which is pretty standard).

I assume BB is hovering over the connectivity symbol at bottom right of her screen, which will display a pop-up of 100Mb/s and is pretty meaningless.

The speed test on Consumer's sight is what will give you your effective D/load, Upload speeds including the up and down links to the IPStar satellite that Farmside uses in witheze's case, or the warn out Telecon exchange and cabling for many others. Results for satellite systems will vary widely in bad weather particularly in terms of upload speed :(

Slow Upload speeds are common and effectively make the broadband 'conversation' very one sided resulting in a very stop/start connection when tranferring data such as video calling on Skype. From experience an Upload speed under 0.25Mb/s will noticeably effect connectivity. When we were with Farmside they struggled to perform in terms of promised upload speed despite attaining download speed targets.

More
14 years 7 months ago #278453 by witheze
Oh dear.....0.49 down and .09 up! They have not upgraded the service up here so this is the $49.95 version. Their installer jumped the gun and installed before I did any paper work, will have to see what they promised in download and upload, I must admit I was looking at the 1056kbps and that looked good after mid forties.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds