Computer Question - Grant???

More
16 years 6 months ago #1878 by oskatd
OK, am at my mums trying to load the nikon software on her computer (lap top to be precise) so she can edit photos - it is windows vista and it won't let me. Also it won't open gif or jpeg files... is a pain in the neck, and makes me appreciate my PC and XP!
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
16 years 6 months ago #65706 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Computer Question - Grant???
I've got a sledgehammer, that should sort it out once and for all! ;)

More
16 years 6 months ago #65712 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Computer Question - Grant???
Vista is a real pain like that. I would suggest contacting Nikon's Tech. Support line which should be documented somewhere in one of the manuals, or on one of the CDs. Maybe there is an upgraded version which supports Vista by now [?]

Failing that, you have two options:

1) Many cameras have a "Mass Storage" mode where the Flash Card acts as a disk drive (usually E: or F:) on your computer. If you can successfully enable that, then you don't need to load the Nikon software. As a rule, I don't bother loading any of the software that comes with a digital camera. Windows Explorer allows me to do everything I need regarding Moving/Copying/Deleting photograph files. If you actually need to edit some of the photos (e.g. for Red-Eye reduction), I would recommend getting Adobe's Photoshop Elements. It is the best around, and (I think) isn't too expensive.

2) Downgrade your mother's laptop to Windows XP.

For obvious reasons, I would try option (1) first [:I]

Cheers,
Grant.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
16 years 6 months ago #65714 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Computer Question - Grant???
yeah, its pretty old software - the camera is 4 years old....

is it easy to down grade to XP? failing that, pass the sledgehammer....

More
16 years 6 months ago #65718 by oskatd
Oh, ps, can you resize the pics in windows explorer? How do you do that? I just use my nikon view - probably from habit, but also because its easy to rotate and make smaller for emailing. please tell all! when opening the jpegs and gif's on mums computer it defaults to fairfax media - nero photosnap viewer, surely there should be the windows one, can we change that? so many questions, so little time! and she's on dial up!!!

More
16 years 6 months ago #65721 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Computer Question - Grant???
i have a compter question too. Having finally sort of figured out how to burn cds using windows media player, how do i erase the cd's that i stuffed up and only put 1 song on? It seems that once you burn it, it finalises the cd and thats it...can't record any more :(

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
16 years 6 months ago #65722 by oskatd
where is bloody windows explorer in vista?? can't wait to get back home to boring old XP!

More
16 years 6 months ago #65723 by GrantK
1) Downgrade to XP: You would have to contact the manufacturer of the laptop to confirm how easy/difficult it might be. A full re-install of Windows is required and you would probably lose most of your installed programs and most of the settings.

2) Resizing pictures in Windows Explorer:
- Open an Explorer session in the folder where the photos are
- Select one or more photos using CTRL or SHIFT + Click
- RIGHT Click on one of the selected photos
- Select "Send To"
- Select "Mail Recipient"
- A box pops up with the resizing options
- The default size is 640x480
- Click "Show More Options" for other sizes

That's it :)

At least, that's how to do it in XP. Hopefully Vista is the same :p

P.S. To open Windows Explorer hold down the WINDOWS key and press "E".

More
16 years 6 months ago #65724 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by devan

...how do i erase the cd's that i stuffed up and only put 1 song on? It seems that once you burn it, it finalises the cd and thats it...can't record any more :(

Dead Right unfortunately [xx(]

CD-R means WRITE ONCE Read Many :(

Sounds like you just made yourself a bunch of coasters :p

More
16 years 6 months ago #65725 by devan
oh bugger :(

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
16 years 6 months ago #65727 by devan
So in the future what discs should i buy? ps thanks for your help :D

More
16 years 6 months ago #65748 by wyseyes
Please let it be known that changing from Windows Vista to Windows XP is known in most computer circles as an UPGRADE! :)

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
16 years 6 months ago #65749 by wyseyes

quote:Originally posted by oskatd

Oh, ps, can you resize the pics in windows explorer? How do you do that? It defaults to fairfax media - nero photosnap viewer, surely there should be the windows one, can we change that?

Yes, although it depends on what you prefer. With MS Office there is a program called Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I have found this very easy to alter the sizes, crop pictures, rotate etc.
MS Picture and Fax viewer also does it, but not as nice.

Right click on the pic file, select "Open With...". Select the program you prefer to edit with, and it should open in that program. If you click the little box at the bottom "Always use this program", then next time a double-click on the file should do.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
16 years 6 months ago #65751 by wyseyes

quote:Originally posted by devan

So in the future what discs should i buy? ps thanks for your help :D

Use the same disks, just line up a whole pile of music to put on each one.

Or your could buy the CD-RW, which can be erased and re-written many times. Will cost twice the $ than for CD-R.

More
16 years 6 months ago #65756 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Computer Question - Grant???
And my ten cents worth for that, buy a good cd-rw, I use only sony, my apple and pc both don't like the cheap ones, even tdk, and tell me there's no disc in!! AND I give my stuff-ups to the kindy, they make mobiles with them.;):D

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds