For those with school age children

More
13 years 6 days ago #18768 by Louimay
I pinched this off Trade Me.

You have until Friday to have your say on school reporting...

www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=sbOpseF6nT2zxzyfqALMww_3d_3d

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 days ago #277926 by moonshiner
Excellent. Cheers for the link :D

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

More
13 years 6 days ago #277942 by OakhengeFarm
Done, thanks. If those sample reports are anything to go by, when do the poor teachers find time to actually teach anything useful?? A friend of mine is an Intermediate teacher - I would have called her the sewing teacher, but apparently she is the "Technology teacher - soft materials". She spends up to a third of her working life writing out assessments, since she sees the entire school at one time or another. AND - they told her that written assessments aren't enough - she has to submit photos, samples -and videos of each child, if you please!! Bureaucracy gone mad!

11 acres (4 in QEII Covenanted native bush), 15 sheep, 2 beefies, large vege gardens and a goat, and still no dog!:(

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets [:D][:D] Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...

More
13 years 6 days ago #277965 by DiDi
Ok I won't be reporting as I don't have school age children but good grief. What is wrong with A box for Maths = called meeting with teacher to discuss and A box for Reading is covered at mid year or term parent teacher interview - or don't they do those anymore?

I really should sent them examples of the reports my 28 year old received since primary school days (still have them) and they will show everything an interested parent wants to know. A,B,C etc for Effort and Progress boxes and then personal comments on each subject e.g. "R is a fluent and confident reader who works at a level several years above her age. She shows good understanding of what she reads and works with concentration and enjoyment" That was Standard 2. What else do I need to know? The Headmaster also signed all reports as well which I think is a good idea.

I do wonder if the national standard are going to be set the same way that the "average wage" is?

More
13 years 5 days ago #278305 by Simkin
Done. Thanks.

I think the ministry wants to add even more paperwork (which those parents in question can't or won't read anyway) to the excessive admin load teachers already have.

DiDi - I still have 1 primary school aged kid and she brings home a report very similar to the one you are quoting. Nothing wrong with it.

But what has increased is the mountain of paper that comes home during the year.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds