Engine light on car....what does it mean when it flashes?

More
14 years 9 months ago #277478 by kalnetta
Kate can You post on here what it turns out to be please.?

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #277479 by FencerMan
Quick question, was it flashing in a controlled sequence? Or more 'flickering'?

They dont usually flach...Usually there is a problem, light comes on, and stays on untill the problem is fixed!

Because of the recent service, $100 says something happened then to cause it now, and im going to guesstimate a sense has been 'bumped' or somehow damaged..... Unless there is something you havnt noticed yet like overheating etc :P

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
14 years 9 months ago #277484 by kate

kalnetta;258229 wrote: Kate can You post on here what it turns out to be please.?

Will do :D

FencerMan;258230 wrote: Quick question, was it flashing in a controlled sequence? Or more 'flickering'?

They dont usually flach...Usually there is a problem, light comes on, and stays on untill the problem is fixed!

Because of the recent service, $100 says something happened then to cause it now, and im going to guesstimate a sense has been 'bumped' or somehow damaged..... Unless there is something you havnt noticed yet like overheating etc :P

A steady flashing - not flickering! That's why I was wondering. Surely either something is wrong or it isn't???? You can tell I'm not a car person...and it's not overheating [:0][:0][:0]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #277487 by FencerMan
If its not overheating (pop the bonnet and 'feel' how hot it is!) and has oil etc then its probably a faulty/broken sensor!

Dont rely on your dashboard gages...The engine light could be telling you that one of them (temperature sensor for example) is not reading properly!

Do something.

'Ted Turner'

More
14 years 9 months ago #277488 by kate
So...........how hot should it 'feel'? [:I][:I]

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #277489 by FencerMan
Whatever is normal :P

Do something.

'Ted Turner'

More
14 years 9 months ago #277490 by FencerMan
Could be a silly question... But do you have the user manual? And if so looked it up to see what it says about a flashing engine light? :)

Do something.

'Ted Turner'

More
14 years 9 months ago #277496 by kate
That is a silly question...[;)]

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #277499 by kalnetta
Kate is it a diesel?
If so my manual says the following.The light will come on if a fault occurs in the engine electrical control system while it is running.
The light will come on if water collects in the fuel filter when the engine is running.If the light comes on while the engine is running,drain the water from the filter.After draining , check that the light goes out.
If the light fails to go out have it checked by your garage as soon as possibile.
If you continue to drive with the light showing there is a danger of the injection pump burning out.
P.S. with the cold damp weather it is more than likely water in the filter I drain mine every couple of months.
This is as written in my manual.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
14 years 9 months ago #277512 by kate
Thanks Kalnetta, I'll try to find the fuel filter (honestly, I'm a driver not a mechanic so all this is baffling) and see if there is water in it.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #277516 by Beltie
Just had the exact same thing happen in my Nissan Terranno. Took it to the garage where thay plugged it into their computer check thingy which said there was some problem with the accelerator which apparently there wasn't so they just cleared it - as in told the car it was all OK so that the light would go out. Hope this is making sense! - Anyway according to the garage it was probably just a glitch that happens occasionally and not to worry unless it does it again in which case they'll have to look again. Despite sounding quite long winded this took about 5 minutes and cost nothing so fingers crossed yours is the same.

More
14 years 9 months ago #277517 by kate
Thanks Beltie - that sounds like it may not be a big - and expensive - problem :D I'll take it in tomorrow to my friendly mechanic and see what he says...

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #277591 by moonshiner
Means your ECU has recorded a code for a defect in the control/management system using its self diagnosis mode, once the code has been 'read' they can ascertain the problem

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

More
14 years 9 months ago #277709 by kate
Okay - the computer diagnosed a crankshaft sensor problem which required me to sit around for 45mins at the mechanics this morning. The problem was diagnosed by a real human being as being due to a rat chewing on the sensor cable [B)][B)]

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #277716 by Pumpkingirl
Did you have to pay for it too? :(

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds