Engine light on car....what does it mean when it flashes?

More
13 years 1 week ago #18730 by kate
[:I][:I] There is that engine light...you know, the one with an outline picture of an engine with the fan at one end [:I][:I] It flashed for a minute or two yesterday while sitting at traffic lights...then it flashed for a minute or two hours later while I was driving. Now it's just been flashing again for a longer period while I was driving. The oil seems to be okay but I'll check again when the engine has cooled.

What else can/should I check? The car was only serviced a couple of weeks ago....

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #277396 by Chris
Check your water system! asap!

More
13 years 1 week ago #277398 by Kiwi303
check all your liquids, water, oil, tranny fluid if an auto... What model car?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 1 week ago #277399 by sod
I agree with Chris and do it now!!!! Having said that we have one in our car that comes on saying check engine which means nothing really as it has water/oil guages as well

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 1 week ago #277400 by kate
Thanks [8D][8D]

It's a Nissan Terrano....and the engine looks like something out of Star Wars..[}:)] The engine isn't overheating - at least the temperature gauge is looking normal...but why would it flash for a minute or two and then stop for hours???

Will check all liquids but have no idea how to check the tranmission fluid [B)]

Web Goddess

More
13 years 1 week ago #277402 by kalnetta
Kate if it is a 1995 model it could be the fuel pump.Mine did the same You will have to have it analised so that they can read the computer and that is the only way to find out what is wrong.A Nissan dealer will do it.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
13 years 1 week ago #277403 by kalnetta
Also check if they changed the fuel filter if not it could be dirty.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
13 years 1 week ago #277404 by skyline_glenn
It could be any number of things. It is a warning that something isn't quite right and needs to be checked. Usually a sensor of some sort. Most mechanics should have the diagnostic tool to read the cars ECU so you don't have to go to the NIssan agent, which is usaully alot more expensive.

Glenn

More
13 years 1 week ago #277411 by wino
After the bad mechanics wrecked my subaru it had that problem. And the computer was logging a zillion faults (well dozens anyway).

Mine was - they think in the end - a faulty sender/sensor.

However assuming that yours hasn't recently snapped a so called 'new' cam belt at high speed and with a lot of damage and been rebuilt by the same imbeciles who maybe did or maybe didn't replace a cambelt when they were paid to, your problems is probably something completely different...

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 1 week ago #277419 by kate
Thanks again, I'll take it in to the garage - I use a Nissan garage anyway :D

Wino - it doesn't have a cam belt it has a chain (I've absolutely no idea what that means but that's what they told me [:I])

It's a pain as we're taking it up to Auckland on Tuesday and I don't really have time to take it in before then but I' guess I'll have to make time [}:)][}:)]

Thanks for all the advice
Kate

Web Goddess

More
13 years 1 week ago #277424 by wino
Yeah I didn't think it had a cambelt Kate.

It could still be a sender - which doesn't necessarily need to have all the engine internals rearranged to fail I think since the part in the end was a relatively easy to come by.

No doubt the guys that know what they are doing will sort it out

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 1 week ago #277438 by kaybe
Are the Nissan people the ones who serviced it? They would be my first port of call in case they made a mistake during the service - transmission fluid in the oil has been known to happen :rolleyes:

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 1 week ago #277439 by kaybe

kalnetta;258143 wrote: You will have to have it analised

Is that where they look up the exhaust pipe :D ?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

More
13 years 1 week ago #277448 by Stu_R
lmao kaybe :) lol why you want your exhaust looked up ? lol lol :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 1 week ago #277463 by kaybe

Stu_R;258191 wrote: lmao kaybe :) lol why you want your exhaust looked up ? lol lol :)

Stu, at first I put 'tailpipe' but then I thought I should use the English not American version - but afterwards I realised 'tailpipe' would have been a play on words as well.. can't believe I missed a great pun opportunity [;)]!

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds