More computer help please

More
13 years 1 day ago #18702 by AdoubleJ
WHY..WHY....WHY???
Computer goes along fine then suddenly everything, including anything I am typing slows down 100%!! I can guarantee that the time then, even without looking is 9.00pm!! I'm not joking! [:0] [:(!] I click and wait, then click again and wait [:(!]........and it stays slow until I take 15 minutes to close down the couple of windows I have open to turn it off at about 10.30pm!!
It is really PI..ING me off!!
Any brilliant ideas (it has just taken 4 minutes to type this!) Oh yes and then sometimes if I ignore it it closes any open windows! [:(!]

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 day ago #277110 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic More computer help please
Run SPybot Search and destroy (google it) that's likely to be a bot or something using your resources i suspect...

Someone has something they want done at 9pm... and the bot uses your compt to do it with.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 1 day ago #277179 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic More computer help please
You need to find out what is taking up all the computer processor time.

Hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This will bring up the task manager, and find the tab at the top that says processes.
Look down the list and find the process which is using the most (usually 100% or 99%) of the CPU.

What is that process?

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 1 day ago #277258 by AdoubleJ
Replied by AdoubleJ on topic More computer help please

Kiwi303;257821 wrote: Run SPybot Search and destroy (google it) that's likely to be a bot or something using your resources i suspect...

Someone has something they want done at 9pm... and the bot uses your compt to do it with.

OK did the freedownload and it found 1720 registry errors!! The freebie can only 'fix' 15 and then I have to pay for the download, on 'Special' at the moment for $29.95. Do I need to buy and complete this and get rid of the other 1705? Could this be my problem?

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
13 years 1 day ago #277262 by Birman Babe
Are you sure your virus protection isnt updating around that time.
Mine updates at 9.30pm every night & often blocks my systems for a few minutes..

More
13 years 1 day ago #277266 by AdoubleJ
No, mine starts at 7.00pm and doesn't slow anything down........ Just a bit woriried about what it has found! [:0] I suppose if I buy it I will need to keep using it anyway?

AdoubleJ

More
13 years 1 day ago #277269 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic More computer help please

AdoubleJ;257979 wrote: OK did the freedownload and it found 1720 registry errors!! The freebie can only 'fix' 15 and then I have to pay for the download, on 'Special' at the moment for $29.95. Do I need to buy and complete this and get rid of the other 1705? Could this be my problem?

I haven't struck that with Spybot before, as I have always run it as a completely free program. 1720 errors is a pretty extreme amount though [:0]

Maybe download Adaware and run that also which will maybe do the clean-up instead. I run both Spybot & Adaware as they catch each others 'misses'.
Recheck where you got the download for Spybot as maybe the site is trying to pressure you into a sale.

Also do the Task Manager check recommended above to see what is using the CPU capabilities.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 1 day ago #277279 by AdoubleJ
I do run Adaware regularly and it picks up things. Tried the Task Manager 'thingy' and there are no %'s there so I am a bit confused! (Doesn't take much! [:I]:o) This is the sort of thing on there

Image name user name CPU mem usage
iexplore.exe alison (Moves bwtween) 9 & 15 65,784k

AdoubleJ

More
13 years 1 day ago #277289 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic More computer help please
I just want to second what organix said about being careful where you download programs from. I don't use Spybot so don't know what their homepage is but I use the vendor's site as first preference and them download.com as second choice. Please feel free to expand or disagree on that anyone as I am always interested to learn what others do.

More
13 years 1 day ago #277302 by ame
Replied by ame on topic More computer help please
The official website for Spybot is here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

You can download it for free and there is no mention of any limit to how many problems can be removed. There is no mention of a price or any 'Special Offer', although you can donate some money to them if you feel so inclined (and perhaps you might be if it fixes your problem).

A

More
13 years 1 day ago #277303 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic More computer help please

AdoubleJ;258006 wrote: Tried the Task Manager 'thingy' and there are no %'s there so I am a bit confused!

The 9-15 is the CPU usage %. What is the one using the most, and how much?

BEWARE - some naughty 'fixit' programs announce that you have Thousands of errors, and volunteer for you to pay them to fix the problems. Only use bonafide programs that computer experts agree are safe.

CCleaner will show you the real amount of registry errors (which are actually very minor, and probably not causing you a problem), and will fix them for free.

MalwareBytes will also look for bad malware which may be causing a problem, and remove it for free.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 1 day ago #277306 by ame
I'm amazed that people will put so much effort into helping their Windows systems limp along, but won't put any effort into looking at Linux. Why is that?

More
13 years 1 day ago #277308 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic More computer help please

AdoubleJ;258006 wrote: I do run Adaware regularly and it picks up things. Tried the Task Manager 'thingy' and there are no %'s there so I am a bit confused! (Doesn't take much! [:I]:o) This is the sort of thing on there

Not sure if you are aware but the Task Manager operates in real time so it needs to be done when the problem is occurring for the results to be relevant. Toggle between the Processes tab (to see what's running and what CPU % each is using) and Performance (to see at what % capacity the CPU is running).

Chances are your problem will result in 100% CPU useage which will be due to one demanding program in particular.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 23 hours ago #277315 by AdoubleJ

ame;258030 wrote: The official website for Spybot is here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

You can download it for free and there is no mention of any limit to how many problems can be removed. There is no mention of a price or any 'Special Offer', although you can donate some money to them if you feel so inclined (and perhaps you might be if it fixes your problem).

A

This is where I went to - then picked File Forum -Editors pick - this is the one that ended up saying I needed to buy it on Special! [?]

AdoubleJ

More
13 years 23 hours ago #277322 by ame
Interesting.

I suggest you click here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/ownmirrors1/index.html

It is a direct link to the download.

It is free.

Really.

A

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds