Fever and Paracetamol

More
13 years 7 hours ago #18688 by Simkin
Fever and Paracetamol was created by Simkin
A while ago BeeDee (I think) wrote about some interesting aspects regarding the use of Paracetamol to lower a feverish person's temperature.

I'm curious about this - our GP always says use panadol when the kids have a fever, my parents never used it on us - we were wrapped up warm to 'sweat the disease out'.

The difference? We - as kids - were in bed sick for a week when we had the flu, my kids happily entertain themselves at home - they just need a bit more sleep.

What do you do? And why?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 hours ago #276917 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Fever and Paracetamol
Yes, I will give paracetamol, or children's nurofen by preference (because it is an anti-inflammatory as well). Mostly because I don't want my children to reach over 40C, at which point they are at risk of a fit. I have one child, our 'baby', who easily reaches 39C and above when he is ill.

When we were kids, we had to practically be dead to be allowed to stay home from school, and Mum was reluctant to give us pain killers because she believed we would build a resistance to it. I think she was confusing them with anti-biotics.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 7 hours ago #276925 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Fever and Paracetamol
A fever is your bodies immune response to a virus, once your body gets over a certain temp the heat kills the bugs.
Paracetamol slows down this immune response. As you can see from the info below, the paracetamol does not stop your child from having seizures because the fever spike is so rapid that the fit occurs before you know the child has a fever.

I'm with your mum, a mild fever is fine, give paracetamol for Pain.

My 7 yr old has had it about 8 times in her life and when I do give her some the results are dramatic I know children that get given it whenever they sneeze and it they need double dozes for it to work when they really need it.
Seizures and Fever Overview

Febrile seizures, also known as convulsions, body spasms, or shaking, occur mainly in children and are caused by fever. (Febrile is derived from the Latin febris, meaning fever.) As with most types of seizures, the onset is dramatic, with little or no warning. In most instances, the seizure lasts only a few minutes and stops on its own.
Febrile seizures may occur because a child's developing brain is sensitive to the effects of fever. These seizures are most likely to occur with high body temperatures (higher than 102°F) but may also occur with milder fevers. The sudden rise in temperature seems to be more important than the degree of temperature. The seizure may occur with the initial onset of fever before a child’s caregiver is even aware the child is ill.
  • Seizures generally occur in those aged 3 months to 5 years; peak incidence is in infants aged 8-20 months.
  • About 2-5% of all children will experience a febrile seizure .
  • Of those who have had a febrile seizure, 30-40% will experience more seizures.
  • About 25% have a first-degree relative with a history of febrile seizure.
  • The seizure itself is almost always harmless. It does not cause brain damage or lead to epilepsy .

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 6 hours ago #276930 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Fever and Paracetamol
Here the link to the site I got that info from
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/seizures_and_fever/article_em.htm

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 5 hours ago #276954 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Fever and Paracetamol
I have always been told by doctors and nurses to give paracetamol or nurofen to a child with a high temperature - and it does bring their temperature down and makes them feel better. A mild temperature of late 37s or early 38s, sure, no need for medication unless there is pain. However, if my 4 year old has a temperature of 39C, 40C, or above (as he has had), I will give him pain relief - I know for sure if I took him to the doctor with those temperatures, that is the first thing they will do.

My friend's newborn baby had a series of seizures - the eventual diagnosis was that it could well have been febrile seizures due to an infection - and harmless or not, she has spent the last 6 months in the fear that he will have more seizures. A fit is not something you want to watch your child go through.

But each to their own, my mum had the same philosophy as you Xartep, and I've lived to be a very healthy adult with an excellent immune system.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds