desktop XP keeps freezing

More
13 years 1 week ago #18676 by max2
my home edition XP on the desktop keeps ''freezing'' after about 5 minutes of the desktop being turned on. I cannot re-boot it into action unless I completely turn off the power to the unit, leave for 10 minutes and come back to it.

I have managed to remove some large programme files in case I was using up too much memory (or whatever the tech term is) over several re-starts, and now am running ad-aware for spyware. So far, fingers crossed, the scan is working away.

Any suggestions? the computer is about 6 years old but I had it serviced just prior to leaving Aussie late last year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #276750 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic desktop XP keeps freezing
Run full virus scan, run Adaware and Spybot , delete temp files, cookies, etc. and then do a Disk Defrag.

If that doesn't help, or if the Defrag throws up warnings, get the hard drive checked.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 1 week ago #276762 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic desktop XP keeps freezing
I wondered about the hard drive too, I have just got it all started again after finding and removing spyware, nearly at the end of a word document, unsaved and bang its frozen again.

(I am writing this via the laptop)....

My problem though is I stayed home today to do my very overdue GST return and half the entries are on the desktop and I am failing to transfer the saved desktop C/: drive MYOB file into cashbooks on the laptop properly, although have attached the file via email which I can receive on both machines.... as a quick way out of the overall need to work on the desktop.

I wouldn't mind if I was just wanting to email or read the newspaper online... I could swear at it and walk away finding something else to do.[}:)]

More
13 years 1 week ago #276830 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic desktop XP keeps freezing
swaggie - my answer would be to download Malwarebytes from their site and then reboot in Safe Mode and run it. Be careful to note what setting you have for start up before you go into safe mode and then you can reset them after. Not sure how to do it in XP as I have Vista but the first time I did this, it found Trojans and I was not even aware that my computer was having a big issue but occasional freezing.

In Vista you type in misconfig in start - go to Boot - tick Safe Mode - tick Minimal - OK - Restart and it will reboot in safe mode. Reverse order to get back to Normal startup or whatever you have. Only a couple of minutes to Google how to do it in XP.

More
13 years 6 days ago #277021 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic desktop XP keeps freezing
I worked on it safely this morning and shut it down normally for the first time in many days.
however this arvo after 7 or minutes it froze again, so it appears to me that whilst getting rid of spyware, cleaning up the drive etc has assisted, there is an underlying issue.

Also whether its related or not, my spike buster power point thingo packed up working. it is also getting on in years, but ain't it funny its happened in the same week?

(all of my newish power saver mercury bulbs from aussie have ceased to function too. Hmmmm).

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds