Expol/underfloor insulation question

• Andrea
13 years 1 week ago #18671 by Andrea
Expol/underfloor insulation question was created by Andrea
Will rodents chew on this? I know they chew polystyrene, so what's to stop them from eating this?

Thanks
Andrea
Oxford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #276712 by beedee
I had wondered about that too, as every animal will go out of its way to have a peck or chew on the stuff.... wonder what the protein content is.. the other thing what happens in a fire since polyS isnt meant to be burnt due to toxic fumes???? so I put up with the icicles growing out of my mats!!

More
13 years 1 week ago #276715 by Organix

Andrea;257360 wrote: Will rodents chew on this? I know they chew polystyrene, so what's to stop them from eating this?

Thanks
Andrea
Oxford

We put Expol in before last winter and have been very impressed. The cat took to sleeping on the floor rugs rather than on top of the lounge suite :)

As it is fitted underneath the floor between the joists I wouldn't imagine it would be easily accessible by rodents. We haven't had any problems despite the odd rat here (dispatched by the cat). Also Expol is treated with fire retardant so presumeably won't burn, and this may also make it unpalatable or toxic to rodents.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 1 week ago #276718 by Westermans
rats cant get mine as its under our slab :) but very impressed with how it keeps the heat in the concreat..we have no floor coverings in the living/dinning/kitchen as yet and its not too bad in there.

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

More
13 years 1 week ago #276726 by Simkin
Hi Andrea,

fire goes up, not down, so I would imagine those polystyrene slabs will be the last bit of the house to burn.

Also rats prefer the wall cavities and the roof space - we've never noticed any under the house but we only have an insulation foil under our floor.

More
13 years 1 week ago #276809 by Andrea1
Thanks -- we're just looking at options for a re-fit of an old outbuilding, from the floor up, as we'd love to have it insulated. At it stands, the old wooden floor sits about 4 inches above a concrete slab (NO idea why) and we know there are rats under it.

Cheer
Andrea
Oxford

More
13 years 1 week ago #277196 by Gumboot Gal
We have a two storey house and we put Expol under the floor of the top storey that is over our double internal garage...we could put this up ourselves from in the garage
We noticed a huge improvement in our house's heat retention.We have lots of rodents here and they can access the expol but do not chew it ,though I suspect some may go behind it and die sometimes .

More
13 years 1 week ago #277420 by Valmai

Andrea;257467 wrote: Thanks -- we're just looking at options for a re-fit of an old outbuilding, from the floor up, as we'd love to have it insulated. At it stands, the old wooden floor sits about 4 inches above a concrete slab (NO idea why) and we know there are rats under it.

Cheer
Andrea
Oxford

If you were not going to replace the floor boards you would need those rodents to install the expol!![;)]

Carbon-based biological unit.

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds