artichokes

More
14 years 7 months ago #1856 by beedee
artichokes was created by beedee
Does anyone grow them around the waikato/BOP area and willing to give me a clump.. I am hoping to go on a diet and need them as my base..also thought good fodder for the animals. thanks in advance[8D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #65429 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic artichokes
Are you talking real Artichokes or Jerusalem Artichokes. I would be able to help you with the last ones.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
14 years 7 months ago #65495 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic artichokes
the jerusalem ones, they take the place of spuds.. poor mans dinner arent they???? that would be great, I never see them in the plant shops,and would need a spade for the ones on roadsides, but with our council all get sprayed.. that would be neat..;)[8D]

More
14 years 7 months ago #65552 by BillyTheTractor
Replied by BillyTheTractor on topic artichokes
beedee I can send some down to you - we have tonnes of them - but at the moment they're not ready, won't be till winter really - but if you still need them then just let me know.

Wee Farm

More
14 years 7 months ago #65601 by beedee
BTT, I want to grow them so wouldnt now be the time to plant.. your offer is appreciated [8D]

More
14 years 7 months ago #65604 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic artichokes
Peter, if you are ever passing you could drop some jerusalem artichokes in [:I]. Can't see me getting up your way for a while.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 7 months ago #65609 by BillyTheTractor
Replied by BillyTheTractor on topic artichokes
last year I would have thought the same! however I sent some down to Moggy - and about this time I went into the garden to dig some up for her, but the actual tubers were the old ones from last year and sort of yug and squishy the new ones hadnt formed yet and really all there was were the leafy stalks coming up so we decided to wait till winter and I sent her down a wee box of good sized ones and they are doing well. If you want I can try to get some wee ones for you and send them? Let me know what you fancy!

Wee Farm

More
14 years 7 months ago #65653 by beedee
BTT, I will have to go with what you advise.. as i have no idea.. just thought that they would be like spuds or kumara and since I think the frosts have stopped here now is the time..
wot does PNZ think or spoook have a say on this very difficult decision:)

More
14 years 7 months ago #65728 by sod
Replied by sod on topic artichokes
Which ones grow up and have lota seeds that blow around. I think you eat the head or you get the seeds.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds