Attention grabbing puss!

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #18555 by Rod Brown
Our beautiful 18 month old (kitten/cat) is very smoochie but is becoming a bit of a pain. He likes getting wet in the rain and then rushes back inside to rub his wet body on our legs as he knows my wife will give him a rub down with a towel, this happens several times on a wet day and the last couple of weeks he's taken to jumping on the bed at around 4am and flopping his wet body on my head and starts licking my bald spot.[:0]

If my wife doesn't get out of bed to give him some attention he starts to play rough and runs around under the duvee and on the top sheet over us gently sticking his claws in, or if an arm is hanging outside the covers that will get a swipe with the claws too generally drawing blood. As my wife walks down the hallway he chases her and occasionally gives her leg another one of those playful whacks.

He always has biscuits available but gets fed his meat morning and night and we think 4am is too early for his meat but we don't want to leave it out or the neighbours cat is likely to come into our garage and eat it:confused:

I've had a cat scratcher ever since we have had him and tried to get him onto that but he is not really interested. To make matters worse he has destroyed 5 little 500mm size trees I planted by breaking the branches.

Any suggestions? I dont want to have to wait a few years for him to grow out of this. I know it is all very funny and cute but it is a bloody nuisance.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275060 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Attention grabbing puss!
To relieve the stress I suggest you continue to write about it regularly!!! :D

I sympathise. I dislike kittens for their irritating play when it's distructive, rather than cute, knowing that it generally is just something one has to wait out. We have one of about the same age and he's just been going through a stupid phase of playful attack, including whacking me as I go past him. Fortunately he generally keeps his claws retracted.

Growing out of it would presumably take months rather than years though?

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275066 by Pumpkingirl
Can't help you with the towel thing, other than suggesting if he comes in wet, he gets locked up somewhere until he has dried himself.

We had similar waking/annoying issues with a brother and sister cat adopted by my parents a few years ago.

The easiest thing to do was to lock them in the laundry overnight, every night. They get fed once - 10pm - and once the food is gone (overnight) that's it until 10pm next night.

It took a few weeks but those cats now know, if they want their warmy bed (complete with hot water bottle in winter) and their yummy dinner, they obey Mummy's rules.

Also stops neighbourhood cats trying to get food, and we've never had another abscess caused by night-time excursions.

Works like a charm, so that's what I do, except my boys come in at 5pm and stay in until 7am. They do have a litter tray but rarely use it.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275074 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Attention grabbing puss!
My cat is shut out of the bedroom at night! She is a big girl who insists of tucking right into you and as she is so heavy, you get pinned for the night resulting in lack of sleep, backache and headaches. Banned she is - but she still loves me. Currently sittting on my lap being a bl**dy nuisance as I type. Legs are going to sleep!

PS No posts on health issues for fat cats please. She leaps at least five feet up the wall to squeeze through the toilet window that has burglar bars on it. She is super fit - just BIG!

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275079 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic Attention grabbing puss!
Shut the bedroom door...

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275083 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Attention grabbing puss!
Tried shutting the bedroom door FM and he scratches on it to get besides we like the door open as it is pitch dark and we have a night light in the hall.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275084 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Attention grabbing puss!

FencerMan;255557 wrote: Shut the bedroom door...

not always an option in winter if there's a hallway central heating radiator and none in the bedrooms, Up north we would shut the hallway door instead, lock the cat out in the lounge/dining areas with a window open down that end of the house. Down here we just have the one cat and she's not as big as the ones we used to have so she's just put up with. It helps that in winter she's usually in front of the banked down woodburner rather than trying to sleep on one of the beds.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275087 by Pumpkingirl
Your cat has trained you really, really well :D

Is there not a room he can be locked in, over night?

And as for the wet cat thing, again, banish him until he's dry. It's just a nice habit he's got himself into.

Dr Harry (Australia TV Vet) recommends a pump-action water pistol - not even the most water-loving cat likes those things. Every time he comes in wet and goes to touch you, he gets zapped. Apparently, most cats get the message on the first or second go.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275107 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Attention grabbing puss!
Ignore the cat, and set the rules, no feeding before 7 am.. I swear mine now know when the TV man sez 7am news, then they dare move.. doesnt take long infact even the cockatiel has learnt not to flutter before 7.15 am.. be tuff. IF the cat is annoying shut it away in a confined area.. soon learns that the cage in the laundry isnt nice, so waits!!
I dry my cat once, second time.. out until dry

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275108 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic Attention grabbing puss!
Ok, how about hoofing the cat out the front door and closing that? [}:)][}:)]

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275109 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Attention grabbing puss!
Spray bottle or water pistol, I had too use one on our three kittens and they soon stopped their bad behavior. Keep it next to the bed and kitten will scarper as soon as you reach for it.
Blowing in their faces (they don't like this!!) also stops them scratching and biting to hard.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275127 by Gracelands
Replied by Gracelands on topic Attention grabbing puss!
I had this for a while with my 18month old ex-stray. Just attention-seeking. Any bad behaviour (usually around 5am) and he got shut out of the bedroom. Took a bit of doing, as he could open the door by himself [:0] ,and I had barricade myself in with the laundry hamper, then put ear-plugs in to drown out the crying. :rolleyes: Only had to do it a couple of times though, he's a quick learner.

Now they know to just wait quietly until mother is ready to get up, and they get fed at that point.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275154 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Attention grabbing puss!
This is also one of the reasons that I phase out morning feeds when they get to a good size, let them go out and catch mice and earn their keep.....

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275160 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Attention grabbing puss!
We have two cat doors, one in the garage where he gets fed and another into the kitchen area which gives him access to the rest of the house so he quite often does the circuit. I like the suggestion of shutting the hall door and confining him to the lounge where he can sit in front of the wood burner anyway. I'll do that tonight (don't know why I didn't think of that actually!!!!)

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #275187 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Attention grabbing puss!

FencerMan;255591 wrote: Ok, how about hoofing the cat out the front door and closing that? [}:)][}:)]

a problem in summer, when due to the heat you want a window open... Most (not all) bedroom windows are within cat-jump-and-scrabble reach of the ground or a handy perch. Plus any window open far enough to let a breeze in will let a cat (or more) in too.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds