Enviroschools funding cut

More
13 years 1 week ago #18553 by reggit
Must be my week for ranting [}:)]

Those of you with kids - is their school part of the Enviroschools network? About 600 schools throughout NZ are, and these schools are working to make their school environments more sustainable, as well as teach the students about reducing waste, growing their own food, being careful with resources, as well as how to problem solve and find solutions to issues that they care about. http://www.enviroschools.org.nz/

The Enviroschools foundation is structured so that every $1 it gets from Min of Ed funding is partnered with $2 from other sources - so is well leveraged to make best use of the funding.

Min of Ed funding for the national coordination of Enviroschools will be scrapped from the end of 2009, leaving a huge gap for this programme.

If you have kids involved in this programme through their schools, or if you don't but believe that it is important to grow children who care about these sorts of issues and live their lives accordingly, start typing! [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Toni - Northland
13 years 1 week ago #275073 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Enviroschools funding cut
Don't kids go to school to learn and get qualifications for jobs in the 'real world'? I don't know anything about this programme, and in saying that, in my opinion it sounds like a group may be protecting their own income?

More
13 years 1 week ago #275094 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Enviroschools funding cut
This is disturbing:(
My daughter is a member of the enviro group, and loves it. They learn about all sorts of things that alot of parents just don't have the time or inclination to teach them.
I think it is a very positive thing [;)] and if you look at the changes that this program has instigated in some schools you can only think they should get more funding not less.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

• Toni - Northland
13 years 1 week ago #275101 by Toni - Northland
Shouldn't this be part of Social Studies and not something that has to have extra funding.

More
13 years 1 week ago #275126 by PRU2
Replied by PRU2 on topic Enviroschools funding cut
My 9 yr old did an over nite trip last term,to Taupo, getting samples of water from various stops down the Waikato river, testing nitrate levels etc.
This term it is composting, ( they have each made a mini compost bin out of a plastic milk bottle) for him and problem solving, flooding in and around our town for the younger one. :)

More
13 years 1 week ago #275133 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Enviroschools funding cut
Our school does a similar sounding programme, but I hadn't heard it was part of any govt innitiative or funding. Just thought what they did was part of the teaching....:o[:I] :)

More
13 years 1 week ago #275153 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Enviroschools funding cut

Toni - Northland;255583 wrote: Shouldn't this be part of Social Studies and not something that has to have extra funding.

I don't think Enviroschools get "extra" min ed funding, they are funded 1/3 by min ed and 2/3 by donations and through outside assistance. By removing min ed funding the other 2/3 goes away also as it is a 2 for 1 arrangement.
This is a great program and is a really valuable learning tool for our childrens and countries future.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 1 week ago #275191 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Enviroschools funding cut
Personally I am with Toni on this one. Have you read the nonsencical website as to why this is happening. PC speak personified.

OK - Johny or Jane are going to go home to their parents and teach them how to recycle and worm compost and worry about the water quality in the streams. Yeah says the parents as they come in from work and have a choice of sending the vegetable scraps for dinner down the chew it thing in the sink or put them in the recycling bucket that the kids then have to empty in the non existent garden in their infill housing which has a total concrete garden. Yes, let's have a number of special buckets in our designer kitchen for the bottles, the plastics and remember father, that yoghurt tub needs to be rinsed and put in the plastic recycling bucket - not the gargage!

Have you guys not driven past houses, even in the countryside, that have four garbage bags out a week. One REAL question - how much and what recyclables are actually usefully recycled here in New Zealand and are NOT sent to the other side of the world for some poor people to work in stinking unhygenic conditions to "recycle"?

This from someone who recycles everything (one bag of rubbish a month) and drives a 20K round trip to the recycling plant at the dump and does it while thinking "What a load of bollocks". So how green is green? Id rather the kids were learning the English language properly, Maths, Science (why isn't this just part of the science curriculum?) etc. Why are schools paying $20+GST to buy each resource book for this program?

More
13 years 1 week ago #275194 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Enviroschools funding cut
Toni and Didi, I couldn't agree more. Sorry Tigger but I see this as just a load of pc garbage - no pun intended - and like others, didn't even realise that money was being poured into something so useless.

Perhaps we become more jaundiced as we get older but I very clearly remember in my long ago childhood being told to switch lights off when not in use, turn the tap off when washing ones teeth, my father composting all the waste matter from the house including newspaper and cardboard, plastic was hardly heard of in the way we know it now and generally everything was saved, used properly or recycled in some way. Now we need special funding to teach the same thing. Good God, get real.

And to top it off, I hear today that 1 in 4 people struggle with literacy. I can well believe that if we're pouring money into this type of "education" and hobby night school classes.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 1 week ago #275207 by PRU2
I can remember that too Ronnie :D ,
The problem is we have become a throw away society ( remember paper bags at the supermarket, a lot more user friendly, we never Knew how good we had it till plastic came along), When it's broke you buy another, it is natural progression, what do we now do with all this S^*#t that is accumulating.
Just take a look around. Plenty of stockpliles in peoples back yards and roadsides[}:)]
It is like anything, it is not going to be to everybodies liking. ( a lot of people have lost their ability to use common sense, you could argue that the Govt has done that, but that would be a whole new thread eh! Kate :D )
I prefer a balanced society. If everyone thought and did the same thing, how boring it would be.[:0][;)][;)] :D [}:)]:([8D]

Just visit " the game " thread Lol

More
13 years 1 week ago #275218 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Enviroschools funding cut
It'll be the parents of kids involved in this programme who will understand what they are getting out of it. Leaving aside the environmental education aspect if that doesn't light your fire, the skills that kids learn through this (real-world research, problem solving, practical application of knowledge) are ones that unfortunately aren't part of most other subjects taught at school.

I'd rather funding keep going to programmes like this that are available to ALL schools than $35 million MORE going to private schools that benefit less than 5% of school aged children [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 1 week ago #275234 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Enviroschools funding cut

tigger;255717 wrote:
I'd rather funding keep going to programmes like this that are available to ALL schools than $35 million MORE going to private schools that benefit less than 5% of school aged children [}:)]

Thanks for those figures, Tigger :)

I, too, think that the enviroschool program is a very good idea. It gets a lot of parents involved in school projects and the goal is to have the children educate their parents.

There is one thing we shouldn't forget on a forum like this. First requirement to take part here is being able to read and write - probably a fifth of the population does not meet this requirement.

We have a set of such people living opposite - two guys permanently on a benefit due to low intelligence/mental illness. They put out 5 rubbish bags every week (taxpayer pays for the extra ones). We, a family of five, get by with 1 rubbish bag every fortnight. (We've got wheelie bins now so they require extra capacity). I don't think either of them has children but many such people have children - often lots - and if we as a society don't educate these children with banalities like how to reduce your rubbish these kids are destined to do the same as their parents.

As this section of the population reproduces disproportionally we are heading for a social downturn. Instead of trying to mend things at the bottom this current government is redirecting these funds towards the very top end of our society.

• Toni - Northland
13 years 1 week ago #275235 by Toni - Northland

tigger;255717 wrote: It'll be the parents of kids involved in this programme who will understand what they are getting out of it. Leaving aside the environmental education aspect if that doesn't light your fire, the skills that kids learn through this (real-world research, problem solving, practical application of knowledge) are ones that unfortunately aren't part of most other subjects taught at school.

Tigger, VERY few parents get involved in anything that happens at some schools, so can't see your argument there.

More
13 years 1 week ago #275272 by PRU2
Well, I am off with my daughters class trip on Friday [8D], to do their "bit" on their enviromental studies..... :D :D
Unfortuately it is a sign of the times, Volunteers are so few and far between now, anywhere, be it for school events or sport coaches, the list is endless. I know of some parents who do nothing with their children, ( their belief is that they will learn all they need at school), and it is probably genetic, that is why I can't not help.[}:)]:rolleyes::rolleyes:

More
13 years 1 week ago #275287 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Enviroschools funding cut
Ronnie et al, my daughter is a teacher and we spent Sat meandering around fieldays as she tried to put together her programme for her up and coming session on sustainability.. they are learning, they learn how to read/count and comprehend, the fact that its the garbage heap takes on a new aspect.
I got taught by nuns, boringly so the only excitement in the morning was how many slashes of the split leather strap I would get that day..
My daughters class will get biodegradable pens and pamphlets and lecturers coming in, all aspects of a job experience, that can be transposed to what ever career they take on, they will learn about those who can talk better than others, how to describe and plan. etc etc... my only grouch with Tiggs is that private schools are saving public schools having to cope.. but we had a good discussion over the weed section on Sat so it doesnt need to be repeated.
and meanwhile maybe just maybe the planet will live another day cos of it.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds