Another good book

More
17 years 7 months ago #5930 by spoook
Another good book was created by spoook
...... on TM www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=64001132

I remember when I moved in here, surveying the new terrain and leaning over the deck rail at the cows below in waist high grass, glowing with newfound pride I said I should write an article about this moment. It was to be called "There's a cow in my garden", missed out again.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #11970 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Another good book
www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10502242

I read an excerpt of a book written by a woman who had escaped this LDS sect with her 8 children in a magazine over Xmas, and put my name down at the library for it - there were 14 people in front of me, but finally got it the other day and couldn't put it down, read it in about 3 days.

Wonderful read, wonderfully written, and makes you wonder how the US law enforcement agencies have taken this long to start clamping down on it. Perhaps they were worried about another Waco?

"Escape" by Carolyn Jessop.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 10 months ago #185358 by Louimay
Replied by Louimay on topic Another good book
Thanks for that recommendation Tigger. I am always looking for new books to read and that one sounds really interesting.

I read Behind Closed Doors by Ngaire Thomas last year about her life as an Exclusive Brethren and how she left. It was quite good.

I will hunt Escape down and read it :)

More
15 years 10 months ago #190698 by Louimay
Hey Tigger

I was given $200 recently for my birthday to spend on books and yesterday purchased Escape.

It is actually quite hard having $200 to spend on books, the worry it creates about chosing the right one is a bit mind blowing..LOL
I might buy the rest on Trade Me as I will be able to get twice the amount of books for the same amount of money, shame about the new postage rates though.

Anyway to get back to the point of this message....

I have started reading the book and am enjoying it so thank you for the recommendation :)

More
15 years 10 months ago #190707 by reggit
Glad you're enjoying it :D .

A few months ago $200 to spend just on books would have seemed like bliss. Now I am using the library so much - and probably reading a much wider range of books than I would if I were buying them - I'd find something else to spend the money on.

I have two big boxes of books going to the Rotary booksale this week, and all I can think is how much the books cost me :( I hate parting with books, but the bookshelves are just too full!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 10 months ago #190865 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Another good book

tigger;163065 wrote: Glad you're enjoying it :D .

A
I have two big boxes of books going to the Rotary booksale this week, and all I can think is how much the books cost me :( I hate parting with books, but the bookshelves are just too full!

I have been collecting everyone's books around me and putting them in large plastic containers in storage with a bar of soap.

I "thought" one day we might open a dirty (but very nice) weekender for professional Jaffas wanting to disappear type package at our place and would line the shelves with books for the bored "moments"[;)][;)].

Seems a cheap way to provide entertainment, and my family read a wide variety of books.....

More
15 years 9 months ago #193601 by reggit
To anyone who has read this book...the breakaway sect involved is on 20/20 tonight - there was a recent raid on their compound in the US. TV2, 9.30pm.

More
15 years 9 months ago #193611 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Another good book
But Gordon is on the other channel....

More
15 years 9 months ago #193669 by pkb
Replied by pkb on topic Another good book
Has anybody else tried bookmooch.com? It's a great idea - basically a place to swap books all over the world, where if you send somebody a book you earn points, and when you receive one, you spend them. I am awful at getting rid of books so it didn't work that well for me, but I still think it is a good way to do it, for just the cost of postage.

• maggies mum
15 years 9 months ago #193672 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Another good book

oskatd;166188 wrote: But Gordon is on the other channel....

I usually like watching GR, but I have to say I can't bear watching this American series, it's all just too much they just make me want to cringe!

More
15 years 9 months ago #193826 by Louimay
I can't watch Gordon Ramsey as one of my bosses is EXACTLY like him towards his employees and after being on the receiving end of quite a few of his tirades I think I am suffering Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome as even the shorts for G.R's show gives me the shakes.

I no longer work for him in his department of the orchard as I found him too abusive. Everyone who works on the orchard calls his attitude to the staff.."The Gordon Ramsey Approach"

Funny....just realised they have the same initial..hmmm

I don't think anyone has the right to talk to another human being like they do no matter how annoyed they are.[:(!]

More
15 years 9 months ago #193827 by Telly
Replied by Telly on topic Another good book
Ditto about the American series of GR. It's really produced to a formula and Gordon seems to build up much less of a rapport with the chefs. I really like in the British series how if there is someone with a bit of go he really mentors them. Can't really be bothered with this series but it's part of our traditional Thrusday night after Survivor.

Goats: 4 boers + 4 kids (all does[:D]), 1 saanen + 2 kids, 1 toggenburg.
Chickens: Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Araucana, pekins
Pigs now in the freezer

• chooky
15 years 9 months ago #193844 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic Another good book
Along the same lines as the Escape book is ' Leaving the Saints ' by Martha Beck . Intriquing book . And very well written to boot .

More
14 years 8 months ago #18472 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Another good book
Anyone read Desert Queen by Janet Wallach? Its about Gertrude Bell a wealthy Brit who travelled in the Middle East and subsequently became an advisor to the British govt after WW1 when they were trying to get order in Iraq. She also spied for them during that war as she spoke Arabic and had made friends with all the influential Arabs. She also did archeological stuff. Amazing lady who was treated as a man in both Arab and diplomatic circles so was able to do and see more than other women. I think its a great read.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds