Cellphone - Battery or Phone Dying?

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #18467 by Toast
I live out of range so only keep cellphone for when I'm on the road & other rare cases. Last couple of times I've gone to make a phone call on it, battery charged up & maximum coverage & it's cut out on me.

What's it likely to be? Do I need to replace the battery or the whole phone?

I need it to be reliable as I am often on the road in a truck with horses & do some big trips such as Manawatu-Gisborne etc.

Any info appreciated. Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #273763 by devan
My old one used to give me 2 minutes tops and then it cut out, used to drive me demented, got a new one with an aerial that pulls out and its great :D

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #273805 by Organix
I'm assuming you keep the battery charged but use the phone very seldom. If I'm right in that then chances are that the battery has gained a 'memory' due to seldom if ever having its charge discharged with use. There is nothing worse for causing a battery to do just what you are describing.

Best solution is to whip out the battery, get the make and model # from it and search this category on Trade Me :) Lot cheaper than the cellphone shop :D

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #273810 by Stu_R
Best answer of all is simple actually ( and proven by me many times) invest in a car charger for your cell phone .... you can talk for as long as you want as the charge is still going into the phone ... and they work as normal while still plugged into the charger
Most vehicles have a Ciggy lighter, charger plugs into that ... hey presto all problems solved .
last two cell phones i had ( first one hated being on my belt when i fell out of the tree into the dam ) the chargers were $19.95 ( at the red shed) and $27.50 (at dick smiths)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #273832 by ame
Let's not trot out the old "memory effect" canard:

http://www.dansdata.com/gz011.htm

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #273854 by Organix

Stu_R;254191 wrote: Best answer of all is simple actually ( and proven by me many times) invest in a car charger for your cell phone .... you can talk for as long as you want as the charge is still going into the phone ... and they work as normal while still plugged into the charger
Most vehicles have a Ciggy lighter, charger plugs into that ... hey presto all problems solved .
last two cell phones i had ( first one hated being on my belt when i fell out of the tree into the dam ) the chargers were $19.95 ( at the red shed) and $27.50 (at dick smiths)

A cheap car charger will solve the problem but only while you're in the car/truck. If the battery is stuffed you're still going to be stuck with a 2 minute battery life otherwise. From experience an aftermarket replacement battery will probably cost $10-20, or $80+ from the shop.

ame;254214 wrote: Let's not trot out the old "memory effect" canard:

http://www.dansdata.com/gz011.htm

Our electrical technician is quite happy to believe that the 1,000s of dollars worth of batteries we use in offshore surveying applications gain memory over time, but whatever name you want to put to the problem the battery ends up stuffed sooner or later [xx(]

Solution: replace it!

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #273932 by devan
Oh something else they told me when i got my new phone was never to charge it when its turned on. Always turn it off before you put the charger on it cos it over charges or something

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #273935 by Organix

devan;254319 wrote: Oh something else they told me when i got my new phone was never to charge it when its turned on. Always turn it off before you put the charger on it cos it over charges or something

Myth! If the phone is turned on during charging it may take a little longer to fully charge (depending on what use the phone is getting during this time) otherwise it will make no difference.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #273957 by devan
really? wow ok :)

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #274044 by Stu_R
I have always just left my phone on while i charge it .. lol actually i never turn it off at all, its always on :)....... never ever had any probs with phones either :) ( well apart from the good Sony Erickson not liking being on my belt when i fell out of the tree and into the dam lol)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #274045 by Organix

Stu_R;254440 wrote: I have always just left my phone on while i charge it .. lol actually i never turn it off at all, its always on :)....... never ever had any probs with phones either :) ( well apart from the good Sony Erickson not liking being on my belt when i fell out of the tree and into the dam lol)

....and Motorolas don't do boat launching very well either :rolleyes:

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #274047 by Stu_R
lol lol :) Organix :) i have a funny feeling most Cell phones aren't that happy about swimming lol
:) my exceedingly expensive Motorola ( and entire $76.95 on special) seems to be rain proof though :)

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #274049 by drifter
But the Nokia survived the washing machine and being left in the Orchard for a few days. However it met it's fate via the Mulcher[:0]

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #274052 by Stu_R
lol lol drifter :) .. i have several hats that have met a simlar fate ..lol if they get whacked off by the olive trees when your on the ride-on .. no probs , pick it up on next lap :) .. the quad bike with tow behind mower is entire different ball game :( i cant get to the hat befor the tow_behind does :( lol

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds