Legal eagles: contentious publications ... help?

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #18450 by Isla
I'm writing something which a number of people (of a distinct group unrelated to this one) aren't going to like. I want to make sure I don't get myself into a pile of expensive trouble. All of it is true, summarising a number of pieces of internet-available information. I'm just not entirely sure where any lines might be which I don't want to cross, since I've got enough trouble already! :D If you think you could assist, please pm me, or reply and I'll pm a link.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #273527 by max2
You always get to do the interesting stuff Isla![8D]

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #273535 by Sue
I've emailed my thoughts!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #273740 by nervous
I'm new but I have a legal and journalism background; I'd be interested to have a look regarding any defamation or copyright issues.

[8]

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #273753 by NZ Appaloosas

Isla;253870 wrote: I'm writing something which a number of people (of a distinct group unrelated to this one) aren't going to like. I want to make sure I don't get myself into a pile of expensive trouble. All of it is true, summarising a number of pieces of internet-available information. I'm just not entirely sure where any lines might be which I don't want to cross, since I've got enough trouble already! :D If you think you could assist, please pm me, or reply and I'll pm a link.

Replying...it will be tomorrow tho', before I probably can get the legal eagle to read it, if that's okay?

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #273830 by ame
Of course, my first piece of advice would be to never outline your plans on a public internet site.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #273841 by Isla

ame;254212 wrote: Of course, my first piece of advice would be to never outline your plans on a public internet site.

Oh go on. :D My plans hardly need be secret. In fact the information I'm collating isn't secret either. But bringing it together might really get up some people's noses, since they're very deliberately keeping it tucked well away.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #274020 by GloPony
I'm often in your position Isla with some of the things I write regarding the parties involved with Kaimanawa horses, other specific horse welfare cases, etc. As long as you're factual & can "prove" such, you're home & hosed. That doesn't mean the fur won't fly & you won't be crossed off a few Christmas card lists though!

Be VERY clear in your writing between facts & YOUR opinion & there is nothing they can get you on legally. If you're going to quote someone else, you need to either have their permission to do so or, if the quote has previously been published, the permission of the publisher. If neither of those are easily obtainable & the information is already out there in the public arena (quoted or otherwise) just acknowledge where it has come from as a footnote.

Admittedly, I'm no legal eagle but I've certainly waded into hot water often enough to know how to avoid getting burned. [;)]

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #274139 by Isla
Thank you all for your assistance within this thread and to those who have helped via PM and email. I'm still tinkering, gradually altering the information. Time and assistance from others are clarifying my thoughts.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #274212 by Kiwi303

Isla;254223 wrote: Oh go on. :D My plans hardly need be secret. In fact the information I'm collating isn't secret either. But bringing it together might really get up some people's noses, since they're very deliberately keeping it tucked well away.

Something to do with condimential mice? it ought to be bang up there on the front of the rural papers... less damage overall is likely to come from admitting who has what and banning them from being bred from, than there is to be from buyers steering clear from the entire breed since they don't know who or what is safe.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #274222 by Isla
Which is exactly the point I have been trying to make to the people who have the power to make such decisions. However, they disagree.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #274239 by Kiwi303
Which is where free speech steps in, in a democracy just keep it factual, documented, provide a biblography to all published facts, and state your opinions separately in an opinion section chearly noted as being opinions and separate from the facts and keep it polite. that way they can't get you for slander, defamation or character assasination.

Calling "bloody idiots" what they are in print, is not a good idea :D call them "well intentioned, but in my opinion, misguided" If you need any help from an expert... go see a politicion ;) Winnie is a pretty good one for that sort of weasel wording :P and Clark is as good or better :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #274297 by Isla
I'd thank you not to turn my thread into an opportunity to state opinions on the character or skills of politicians.

How's that for diplomacy?

Does democracy really include the right to behave without ethical concern?

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #274636 by poaka
Of course .. go to most any politically democratic caucus meeting and give out choccie bikkies for all the ethical concerns... bettcha got a near full packet at the end

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy. [:)]

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
40 Chicken Roasts and Omelettes
25 Pigeon Pies left after Falcon dined out,. 5 pheasants
plus 3 pig dogs

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #274740 by Isla

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds