House repiling

• jdnz
13 years 1 month ago #18400 by jdnz
House repiling was created by jdnz
We have moved into our dream property and I'm not hoping it's not going to become a nightmare. We have discovered that the house is crooked in places. Some examples of the extent of the problem:

- when you push the fridge door closed if it doesn't quite close it completely falls open again,
- some furniture leans forward from the wall
- the shower door doesn't close easily and you feel like you're on a lean when you stand in there
- it feels like you're walking downhill in one corner of the main bedroom
- etc.

So I'm now left with a bit of a sinking feeling (mind the pun).

We had a verbal builder's report done (have had the same builder do a written one on an earlier property and feeling that the written report didn't give any information we hadn't already learned from him verbally. He went under the house and mentioned that there seemed to be some sinking of the piles (concrete ones apparently) but that was common with houses on sandy soil. So we didn't think it was a huge concern.

We've got a repiling contractor coming on Monday to have a look and tell us what he thinks...which I'm dreading because I imagine it's going to be a big, expensive job...and we've fully committed every cent we could drum together just to purchase this property.

Has anyone had any experience with house repiling, or releveling, recently? Was it hugely expensive?:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #272827 by devan
Replied by devan on topic House repiling
Well admitedly i didn't do it but my ex hubby re-piled our house and it didn't look that hard. I believe he started from a level point which was the old brick fireplace and used a laser thingy, then he jacked up the bits that needed jacking up and put new piles in the whole way around. He wasn't a builder or anything but seemed to do ok.

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 1 month ago #272839 by wino
Replied by wino on topic House repiling
Do shop around.

Our quotes ranged from a top of $12000 down to the lovely helpful guys who eventually did a brilliant job for $3200.

That wasn't a complete repile - just some repairs.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 1 month ago #273004 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic House repiling
take heart, our rebuild has a 60mm drop across the diagonal of the kitchen floor alone. Hate to think what it would be across the entire house, and we have another hump in the entry part of our verandah where the person who won the tender to rebuild it, decided to use different sized wood on the external joists, compared to those within the house structure.

yes I too am worried about it and wondered the costs were. if it goes to court (which it may do) then I will get a formal quote and post a reply. However I am aware that you have to be careful of who you engage to do that sort of work, as there are then folllow on issues.

More
13 years 1 month ago #273020 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic House repiling
Our place was off-line as well when we moved here and hubby & a mate went under & partially repiled the worst parts themselves and its as good as now. So see if you can get away with just repiling the worst areas or just adding extra piles for more support ....

More
13 years 1 month ago #273123 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic House repiling
Ask around, there will be good repilers and not so good repilers. Talk to the council, they will know who does a good job. We had a few quotes done and they varied hugely.

Our floorboards still bounce around as there are always more important things to spend the money on :( :( :) [;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds