Any landlords out there????

More
13 years 1 month ago #18331 by scooter
Unfortunately our tenant has suddenly forgotten her rent is a prioirty. We are so sick of her lies and have issued 10 day notices and now the next step is the tenancy tribunal.
She (our tenant) is starting to act like a trapped rat...her thoughts about her rights are very interesting...she tells us we are not allowed on the property to issue any more letters...we are to leave them in the letter box...yea right! That adds another 2 days on the delivery. no where does it say that we cannot come onto the property to knock on the door! We are not allowed access to inside the house without 48hrs notice (per month)
We have issued 42 days to vacate as our son needs a place in town...think it's gone down like a bowl of sick[xx(].....we probably wont see anymore rent!
I am so over this landlord thing....why are there so many people out there who think it's their right to do what ever they feel like in this PC society.

Any words of wisdom out there???:confused: Where's the icon for pulling out hair!

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #271951 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Any landlords out there????
Shout out for Wino.... I'm sure she will have some valuable advice when she gets here.

I don't like to direct you to another site... sorry Kate :(
But the Trademe Real Estate board has some very onto it people who may be able to help.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 1 month ago #271955 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Any landlords out there????
www.dbh.govt.nz/userfiles/file/publicati...pdf/rent-arrears.pdf

and other useful forms here I'd file every notice that you can while you still know where to find them!

www.dbh.govt.nz/pub-sorting-out-problems

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
13 years 1 month ago #271958 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Any landlords out there????
www.propertytalk.co.nz has a great local forum to read.... and lots of sympathy. LL's tend to be the first line of credit....[}:)]

More
13 years 1 month ago #271985 by skyline_glenn
Yep, mor PC crap. The tenant has more rights than the owner of the property. I thought if the house was for family you only needed 3 weeks notice, I could be wrong but worth a check. I just hope she doesn't smash your place up like they did to my work collegue, he ended up losing 8 weeks rent plus the damage.

Good luck

Glenn

More
13 years 1 month ago #271992 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Any landlords out there????
Nah.. they only need to give you 3 weeks notice if they're leaving, but if you need the place then you have to give them 6 weeks notice.

It makes it worth looking at having tenants on fixed term tenancy agreements. That means both sides are tied in for x amount of time, and if they try to leave then they can potentially be made to pay expenses while you find another suitable tenant.

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
13 years 1 month ago #271996 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Any landlords out there????
Residential Tenancies Act 1986, Part 2, Section 52 - Termination By Notice

The minimum period of notice required to be given by a landlord to terminate a tenancy shall be as follows:
(a) where the landlord requires the premises for occupation by the landlord or by any member of the landlord’s family, 42 days:

and

(d) in any other case, 90 days.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 1 month ago #272006 by skyline_glenn
Ah, OK. I knew there was a difference between the time required for general eviction and eviction when you want to use the property.

Isn't it funny how Tenants can live in YOUR house without paying YOU rent and you still have to give them 48 days to leave, hoping they don't inflict too much damage to YOUR property.

Hope you get it sorted, one of our tennants payed us $1200 at $10 per week.
Not sure I would be a landlord again, they have more rights than you.

Glenn

More
13 years 1 month ago #272007 by wino
Replied by wino on topic Any landlords out there????
LOL thanks for the vote of confidence drifter - I was a sucker of a landlord and it was so little fun we gave it up. Unfortunately the RTA is pretty much in the tenants favour.

Do go ask the guys in the TM Real Estate board though. There are some in there who know the entire ins and outs of it and do it for a living.

I know you can enter the section any time you like but not the house but not sure about the ins and outs of delivering a notice. Might be better just to drop it in the mailbox and give another two days. If she's going to be difficult registering it or delivering it to her workplace (if she has one) might work.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 1 month ago #272040 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Any landlords out there????
We have had to evict one or tennants on occasions, and as we are in the country, we have a tap where the water comes into the property out on the farm in an obscure place, turn that off, and that usually gets things moving, and the pump that pumps the water has broken down, and we have to wait for several weeks to get the part. It has worked in the past. They are not keen on carting water in buckets, and bottles for long.
Cheers & good luck hope it goes well.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
13 years 1 month ago #272059 by wyseyes

4trees;252208 wrote: We have had to evict one or tennants on occasions, and as we are in the country, we have a tap where the water comes into the property out on the farm in an obscure place, turn that off,

Carefull, that could get you into hot water:

Residential Tenancies Act 1986, Part 2 Section 45 - Landlord's Responsibilities:

45 Landlord’s responsibilities
(2) The landlord shall not interfere with the supply of gas, electricity, water, telephone services, or other services to the premises

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 1 month ago #272089 by Pumpkingirl
If you know, or the tenant has threatened to do damage to your property, there is a clause that allows for immediate eviction. I can't remember which one but my parents only found out about it after their tenant absolutely trashed their very neat and tidy rental property.

These animals smashed every single piece of gib in the whole house, ripped the bath and shower units away from the wall, stole the hot water cyclinder, left every tap on for days and when we finally got them out, they had left rotting rubbish, nappies - you name it, we found it - lying everywhere. There was unidentified (but we can probably guess) foul-smelling brown smears on the floors, walls, ceilings...

We even dirty nappies and used sanitary pads up on the roof.

Anyway, that's when we found out about the clause that allows you to evict them immediately. Would be worth ringing the Tenancy Tribunal - seriously, we found the person we spoke to quite helpful.

More
13 years 1 month ago #272096 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Any landlords out there????
I believe there is also a piece of legistation out there that lets you register your name against their car or other significant possession as a creditor, If they skip without paying you can get their car tracked down and siezed by the bailiffs and not released until they cough up back rent or the goods get sold to cover owed amounts. I'd advise contacting the tenacy tribunal NOW and enquiring.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 1 month ago #272108 by wyseyes

Pumpkingirl;252262 wrote: If you know, or the tenant has threatened to do damage to your property, there is a clause that allows for immediate eviction. I can't remember which one but my parents only found out about it after their tenant absolutely trashed their very neat and tidy rental property.

Residential Tenancies Act 1986, Part 2,

Section 55 - Termination on non-payment of rent, damage, or assault
(1) the Tribunal shall make an order terminating the tenancy if the Tribunal is satisfied that—
(a) the rent was, at the date on which the application was filed under section 86, at least 21 days in arrears; or
(b) the tenant has caused, or has permitted any other person to cause, or has threatened to cause, substantial damage to the premises; or
(c) the tenant has assaulted, or has threatened to assault, the landlord or any member of the landlord’s family, or any agent of the landlord, or any occupier of any building of which the premises constitute a part, or any neighbour of the premises or of any such building.

Seriously, have a read of the RTA 1996 , and hope that the house was leased under a standard RT lease document.

More
13 years 1 month ago #272159 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Any landlords out there????
some time ago I transferred ours to a private property manager and have never looked back. As soon as a default/problem occurs, she issues the 10 day notice, and I also have LL's insurance so only people with a good credit rating gets in to start with..

With the former 2 r/e PM's, I HAD to force them to take action, which they didn't want to do, and although I didn't recover the funds I ensured the tenant received a bad credit rating for future.
But you HAVE to push brand named PM's to do this as most of them don't give a toss esp if they in turn are getting freebies from suppliers (ie their lawns mowed) and rarely do the principals of the agency give a toss as to LL issues, despite it being their bread and butter business core.

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds