It seems that we are the proud owners of one of the worlds most dangerous dogs ! LOL

More
13 years 1 month ago #18300 by Xartep

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #271564 by Xartep
Yes familiar with that, note in the article it states that it can be traced back to 2 major kennels, 3 bloodlines, and the main offenders as reds and blacks (solid colors). We are only just starting to see solid color cocker spaniels in NZ in any numbers again now.

Also "the more champions there were listed on a Cocker's pedigree, the more likely the dog would exhibit symptoms" . Whew that is scary stuff.

However this study is almost 30 years old and breeders have been working hard to breed this problem out.

Most breeders in NZ are very careful to only breed from dogs of known temperament and recognize that breeding to type does not just mean they should look pretty for the show ring.

Unfortunately with the increase in popularity of the smaller to medium sized dogs again, it is entirely possible that this problem is once again coming to the forefront.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 1 month ago #272513 by sod
Having come from family that had springers we never had a nasty one so this is news to me

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 1 month ago #272587 by Xartep
I think Spain must be the only country in the world that hasn't been trying to cull the problem out.
I have a friend who has been breeding spaniels for over 40 years and he has only had one that was "off" and that was an import. Needless to say he was not kept as stud.
The only other "bad" cockers I have met are ones whose owners aren't pack leaders.
I have rehomed several that where "problems" a few weeks with us working out the glitches and out to a new family who knows what its doing, everyone delighted, and gushing about the new dog.
Personally I find them lots of fun and the best companion pet.

More
13 years 1 month ago #272648 by wino
I found this really interesting - people have been laughing at me for years when I have said the dog I least trust is a cocker spaniel.

I see a lot of dogs in the course of my work (merely because I go to a lot of properties, not because I seek out dogs). It is a given that I am intruding on the dogs territory and some are going to take it badly. I don't hold that against the dog (years ago owned a GSD who if he was still around would have been classified dangerous for biting a child who just happened to be inside my house for no good reason)

Over the years I have had three bites - none serious. Two were from cockers, both who snuck up behind and nipped me on the calf and the third was bitsa that snapped and ran. Can think of another three cockers over the years that I knew that didn't bite me but did bite - again nothing savage but given to nipping.

What was perhaps enlightening about the three bites I got is the bitsa owner took it more seriously than I did and the cocker owners went "oh yes she does that hehe"

I love them as a dog and would happily own one but I think they are definitely thinking dogs with a strong sense of territory.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 1 month ago #273213 by Xartep
I think what people forget, given that they are quite small and cute, is they are bred to work, i e flush and retrieve game birds. Therefore they are quite athletic and smart. Sitting around all day looking pretty is no fun... :(
They also think that they are big dogs, they have no concept of being small and have "attitude". You really need to keep on top of them or they walk all over you.[;)]
I am horrified :( that those owners allow their cockers to nip, that is so not okay, might not have hurt you to much but what about when it is a toddler whose face is on level with the dogs.[:0]
No not okay, mine would get "major moments"[}:)] from me if they did that.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds