Any survivors out there willing to share good news stories?

More
13 years 2 months ago #270708 by Cate
Those are some great examples thanks. TKP you are so lucky (and so is your mum) Thanks for all the kind words as well. I am going to have to change a habit of a lifetime as I am I fear a born pessimist, unfortunately this time when I would rather have been wrong I was right. So I am trying to make plans and I think it will include a career break. The house is on the market and we have some interest in it so we can sell it buy smaller, pay off the mortgage and then enjoy it while OH carries on working. Not what we had planned but I am going to start planning around that and my 50th birthday :o.
I have a reasonably healthy diet, probably indulge in MMs favourite tipple more than is good for me, don't smoke so I am on the right track. Giving up work will mean doing more excercise and getting back into gardening and growing veggies etc which has slipped since I went back to full time work.

Cate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #270725 by kathken
positive thinking and attitude cate.

i know a couple of ladies who have survived breast cancer. one that i used to work with, had a breast removed, and also had reconstructive surgery.....she was really proud of her new boob, and used to show us all the time hehe.

and there's also jools topp (topp twins). i know jools well and she's a survivor, she was real crook for a while, but she's in remission now. i do know that she changed her lifestyle dramatically, especially her diet ie no chemicals or preservatives or processed foods, as much REAL, FRESH food as possible.

your plans to sell and downsize and to be mortgage free and not have to work, will do you wonders i reckon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
13 years 2 months ago #270826 by NZ Appaloosas
Don't forget Kylie Minogue, Olivia Newton John...they're both breast cancer survivors, IIRC.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 2 months ago #270850 by Valmai
Cate Been there, done that. (Have the lopsided boobs to show for it[;)])
Not knowing exactly what you have and what stage I can only speak from personal experience. I had a mamogram and then went back to the doctor to drop off a letter and was told "You are due for a free consultation?! I should have known something was up, DOH!! As soon as I heard the C word my blood turned to ice, I was bawling my eyes out driving home. I openly admit I lost the plot for awhile, its not fair, why me, etc. I was half way through my radiation therapy before my brain returned to normal (as apposed to mashed potato). There were people far worse off than me. One lady I remember so well. One of the volunteers was talking to her about organising transport to the hospital for her and she said, "But I dont think I deserve that because I dont have cancer I have a brain tumor"! That put everything in perspective for me. I didnt have chemo but there were 6 of us chatting (some who had lost their hair) we ended up in hysterical laughter making very un-PC comments (and worse) about the fact that the last hair a woman looses is her moustache! We agreed God is not only definitly a man, he hates women!![;)] That waiting room became a very safe comforting and supportive place to be. Cancer is NOT a death sentence it is a disease which can be lesser or greater than any other disease. I absolutely with every fibre of my being believe in the power of positive thinking. You can give up and expect to die, even if you dont you wont have a good life. You can blame the world, God, the environment for your illness, that will do you no good it will just make you miserable. You can decide you are going to beat this, or die trying [;)] and enjoy as much of the journey as you can. There are times when it will be hard and you are allowed to feel sorry for youself occasionally, just dont make a habit of it! Your doctor has told you to be positive, surely that means that some of the healing is up to you to make happen.
Do you have to give up your career? Do you want to give up your career? There were women and men I met who continued working through the chemo, they said it was hard but it is what they wanted to do. My advice dont make any changes to your life just because of this illness, you wouldnt radiacally change your life for a broken leg! With all the physical and emotional upheaval happening at the moment do you really want to add to the stress of coping with even more changes? There is life laughter and happiness after cancer, and that is from the horses mouth. :D

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
13 years 2 months ago #270867 by spoook
Cate, I am assuming from your post you are diagnosed. I am sorry but.... I am so pleased you were spurred onto it by my experiences. It may have saved your life, for that I am joyous.
You know mine is a success story, I am here.... (also there and everywhere these days [;)] )
Yes, positive attitude helps heaps, also for those around you that don't know how to deal with what you are going through.
There were times I wanted to collapse in a screaming, blubbering pile on the floor but it would not have achieved anything so why bother?? (Plus some one has to pick up the pieces [;)] )
I found once I was diagnosed the "system" took over. Appointments were made, I turned up. Theatre was booked, I lay there.... 3 surgeries :( . It is totally un-me to be so controlled but everyone was so gently and caring, I just let go and went with the flow.
How far are you in the "system"? Feel free to PM if you want.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 2 months ago #270869 by Cate
Valmai, BD and Wino and all the others, thankyou. I needed to hear that. I don't need to give up my career but, it is highly stressful and just one thing I dont need at the moment. It should be a great job but there are a few problems with it and it needs someone with energy and drive to make it work. I think that energy might be better spent on me and my boys as they are my world and to see them worried especially the youngest at 13 I need to spend time with them.
We have had a long talk about diet and altering our habits, cutting out alcohol (cover your ears MM) and spending more time on the things I love, looking forward to lambing/foaling and beating this. I have awful lows (usually at about 3am! [:I] ) but we will see what the next chapter brings. Mum was 8 months from diagnosis to death but I think I have caught it much earlier than her :).
Did you have any genetic tests done Valmai (dont feel you have to answer if its difficult)?
Synchronised posting Spook, Thankyou, I will PM you and pick your brains as a positive person.
Those darn ducks give me a much needed humour break, watching eldest son on an egg collection (chooks) and he had to dig a hole to bury some which were of questionable age, the 2 shadows helping, falling in the hole, every time he picked one out the other jumped in to help.

Cate

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds