Any survivors out there willing to share good news stories?

More
13 years 1 month ago #18226 by Cate
Hi All,
A while since I have posted but there have been reasons. Does anyone out there have any survivor of breast cancer stories to share (no glum ones please I have enough of my own Mum died age 56) and now it seems I am following in the family footsteps. Dr says keep positive so positive stories requested as mine are a wee bit on the negative side :( a young 45 yr old trying to stay positive.[:I]Totally un LSB related so sorry.
Tried to edit the title with the annoying capitals but couldn't sorry

Cate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #270530 by ronnie
You definately need to talk to spoooook - she is our resident survivor and I'm sure her eternal positive attitude is a big part of the reason for being so [;)] :D :D

I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you PM'd her directly to talk.

More
13 years 1 month ago #270532 by Hestia
I think we have so much bad stories about cancer so we "paint the devil on the wall" way to easy!

It is hard to think positively.
Search for mailinglists with breast cancer and talk with those that have been there done that. There is a large cancer web site in UK, I do not remember what it is called right now. They have active forums and that is how I learnt of what kind of treatments there are and what they do in the rest of the world and not just and only on my own local hospital.
I wish I had known about those way earlier than I did since that web community in UK has soooo much more to give than any local resources here. I would had demanded more heaps more if I had known the people I do know today and what they get in the rest of the world.
If you want to talk with me,,just babbel away! :)

More
13 years 1 month ago #270535 by wino
My mother is a breast and ovarian cancer survivor - years and years (15 I think) for the breast, 6 years for the ovarian.

On a slightly different note I was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer before I was 40 (38) - more than 8 years later still going strong despite not managing a decent remission and the gloomy oncologists who predicted my death are now wondering what the hell to do with me. (I work full time, do most things I want to do and in the last year have finally started recovering from the side effects of the drugs they inflicted on me [;)])

Hereditary cancers are a lot slower moving I am told. Treatments have moved on a lot too. What killed my grandmother at 48 sure isn't going to get me or Mum. :)

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 1 month ago #270541 by wino
Can also think of a guy I worked with who's mother had breast cancer when he was at school (they never actually told him until years later) he was in his late 40s when she died of a stroke.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 1 month ago #270543 by max2
I just finished the first of 2 books by Susan Duncan, Salvation Creek. I highly recommend this book and Dad has just finished it and loved it (which I would not have picked for him).

I am on The House at Salvation Creek now, equally enthralling, but also because our good friends and E's godfathers are very local to the scene, so it has the added meaning.

Mum had breast cancer and beat it without having her breast removed oh about 8 years ago. Helps everyone to understand as the book is about the author and her battles with breast cancer. She is the former editor of New idea and aussie Womens weekly...

More
13 years 1 month ago #270544 by witheze
Yep....three friends have all survived seven years and over , one Vicki, has featured in a new drug trial....herceptin perhaps? about eight years ago......:)...Daphne my work colleague treated about 10 years ago, and Annie about seven years. And my grandson has been clear for 18 months.....take heart.

More
13 years 1 month ago #270546 by Cate
Thanks Guys I know about Spook, in fact Spook made me go for my first check, and has spurred me on to go ( by example) when I found the lump. I have 2 runner ducks from her and they provide me with a huge ammount of joy when I am here. Trouble is that I am working away at the moment (sorry Lou for lack of contact but this hit shortly afeter living near you and being a mess didn't want to spread it!!!)
So I now have a dillemma, I may have to give up my new job which I love to move back here for support of the family.

Cate

More
13 years 1 month ago #270552 by max2
do what you feel is in the best interest of YOU. I have long believed you go with your gut feeling rather than anything else. Its time to take care of YOU.

More
13 years 1 month ago #270563 by Birman Babe
My MIL had a breast removed in her 50's and lived another 20 odd years before dying of old age. I know of at least another 3 ladies, around your age, who have had breast removal/reconstruction and are doing very, very well. In fact, I probably know more survivors of breast cancer than I do people who've died......

More
13 years 1 month ago #270576 by Simkin
Hi Cate,

the survivors don't really have a story to tell, don't they. Nobody wants to know anyway. We only hear about those who don't live because that has made an impact. For those who survive having gone through it is a lifechanging experience but after a few years it is a thing of the past.

I know plenty of cancer survivers and I also know many who didn't live. There is one thing that distinguishes the two groups: The survivors all wanted to live, asked questions, changed their habits and often changed their lifestyle. Most people have no idea about how many people are out there who don't care whether they live or die.

I think that is what the doctors mean by 'positive attitude' - a will to live, a will to make changes and something to look forward to - like a holiday.

More
13 years 1 month ago #270606 by beedee
Cate, first Im sorry that you had to write this topic, and also glad that like Spoook you have come to the family to get the vibes to beat the B*****! and yes the survivors beat the victims, statistically... certainly the folk I have supported and followed thro, have done a diet change, stopped sneaking that smoke on the way home from shopping, and prioritised their life, without drinking nasty tasting so called healthy stuff.. gone for the fresh foods versus preserved with chemicals.. and made sure they booted out the stresses of their lives.
Why some get it and others dont will remain a mystery for some time.
I now do palliative nursing, and its really amazing what a positive attitude does, this is dear ladies given the 2 yr survival rate back in their 50's and lo and behold they come to us in their 80's with a totally different cancer site in most cases.. And still they giggle about how they beat the docs odds of living... so think wisely about the upheaval of moving, for what might be 3 mths of another 30yrs of life.
I didnt have cancer but the choice of leaving my LSB block for a simple life in town did come up some years ago.. and I chose to remain.. mainly cos I didnt have the energy to go thro all the years of wombling and gathering.. and after a 3 mth life span, verdict... am still here 13 yrs later

More
13 years 1 month ago #270641 by jeannielea
Cate, sorry to hear this but one group of survivors I really admire are the ones who do either rowing or dragon boating (I forget which). There are teams in many countries now and in NZ too. They are a great example of positive thinking and I've read stories of how much the group has helped each other. Just being able to get out there and train, compete and most of all, have fun, is really inspiring. I'm not suggesting this is for you but there must be heaps of others and groups so hope you can find one that suits you. All the best.

More
13 years 1 month ago #270689 by NZ Appaloosas
Well, once upon a time, I lived next door to a woman who had three children. At some point in my life, I came to realise that Mrs D. wasn't quite like the other women I knew, and that her bra was very different--it had a solid "thingy" on one side. As I got older, I realised that she had had a radical masectomy done at some point (pretty much probably the only treatment back then, as we're going back more than 40 years when she had it done).

Fast forward a few decades, and she was diagnosed again, this time with her remaining breast. She had to be in her 80s when she underwent chemo and another radical masectomy. IIRC, she survived at least another 5 - 10 years...I'm fuzzy on whether she was diagnosed before my father died or after, but I know she herself did not die late 1990s.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 1 month ago #270692 by The Kats Place
My mum had breast cancer surgery in May 1999,(one breast removed with followup chemo) in September 1999 she had ovarian cancer removed, in November 1999 she had laser surgery on throat cancer, so that christmas i was so sure would be her last we arranged to take both my parents on a two week holiday to Norfolk Island to be able to spend some quality time with them while we could. Mum is still going strong and wants to know when we are next taking her on holiday!

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds