Great holiday read - Fordhall Farm

More
14 years 7 months ago #1822 by reggit
Some of you pommies (used in the nicest possible sense ;)) might have heard of this...picked up the book at the library today and what an inspiring story: The Fight for Fordhall Farm, by Ben and Charlotte Hollins. And yes, I have already finished it, couldn't put it down, I am like a vacuum cleaner for good books! [:I]

Just found the website at http://www.fordhallfarm.com/ which provides the background - two kids, 21 and 19 when they started the campaign, fighting to keep the family tenancy/farm which they were to be evicted from after the family had been there 100-odd years.

Certainly an eye opener about the rural situation in the UK with this 100-year lease bizzo and the problems small farmers are facing. Wel worth a read this Xmas, and certainly makes you appreciate being able to own outright (well, with your very own mortgage anyway! [}:)]) your own little piece of countryside.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #65108 by Midge
Thanks for posting Tigger. I always appreciate reading posts that recommend this type of book as they're right up my alley too:D

Just finished Animal, Vegetable Miracle which I read about on here and thoroughly enjoyed:D
Cheers:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
14 years 7 months ago #65126 by witheze
On the other hand I was happy to see in yesterday's N.Z. Herald that lease holders of Crown Land around the Southern Lakes are unable to subdivide or develop their lease hold land.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/8/story.cfm?c_id=8&objectid=10476229

I don't normally agree with the Govt's decisions but protection of the lakesides from development has to be one of their better decisions. After all this land was leased initially for grazing.

More
14 years 7 months ago #65196 by Dream Weaver
Totally different book, but I have just finished reading the "Call from the other side" Written by Sue Nicholson from sensing murder. Brilliant reading. She is truely an amazing person.

More
14 years 7 months ago #65206 by reggit
witheze, one the big issues raised in the Fordhall Farm situation was what they call over there 'hope value' - what I would call development potential - that meant that eg 12 acres of their farm that would be worth 50,000 pounds in agricultural terms was worth 1.2 million pounds when the council intended to rezone it industrial [:0].

Apparently so many farming areas have been designated potential industrial/commercial/subdivision that the 'hope values' have skyrocketed and farmers are being priced out of market...apparently over there the chances of getting a loan for an agricultural venture is pretty low (esp with the tenancy situation rather than outright ownership) and so very few young people are entering the industry to replace those retiring.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #65211 by oskatd
Blimey, Tigger, slow down, am still working my way through 'Animal Vegetable Miracle'!!!

More
14 years 7 months ago #65214 by reggit
Like I said, I'm a vacuum cleaner for good books! :D

More
14 years 7 months ago #65215 by witheze
I never miss Sensing Murder, so will look out for Sue's book. I am absolutely fascinated by these amazing psychics.

More
14 years 7 months ago #65230 by max2
Fordhall Farm is on special with Amazon.co.uk if you wish. I have just ordered it, along with a few other things I have kept for some time in my shopping trolley with them.... looks good for my christmas reading in the hammock in NZ.[8D]

More
14 years 7 months ago #65234 by reggit
It's nice also because both the brother and sister wrote it, alternating chapters - and they are both very different personalities and handled the challenges in different ways. :DCan't believe what they achieved at such a young age.

More
14 years 7 months ago #65382 by Dream Weaver
Witheze. Go onto Sues webb site and you can order the book now.

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds