Advice/ideas needed for travelling sister..

• Andrea
14 years 9 months ago #18199 by Andrea
My sister (teacher's income AND just been made redundant) is coming to NZ for the first time this coming summer, and wants to do a kayaking adventure, a glacier adventure and a tramping adventure. The only outfitter she's been able to find in the US wants $4000USD to do this, which I thought was obscene.

So, I figured I'd come here and see what advice folks may have to share, because I am not that adventurous anymore, so I've never looked into anything like that. She would be here for around 3 weeks, and I think she wants to spend about a week doing a kayak thing.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #270200 by Simkin
Hi Andrea,

I know people who paid that kind of money for an adventure trip to NZ. It means they are taken care of 24/7 - everything is organised in advance, they are under the care of an experienced guide and apart from bad weather and broken down vans things do go ahead as planned.

Many tourism operators here in NZ (even the local ones) take $$$$$ for everything. Looking at wales in Kaikoura is around 150 Dollars per head now. During the Treaty of Waitangi settlements many tribes have been given exclusive access to natural treasures and their philosophy is quality, not quantity. So very few who can afford it will be able to see and do these things. I would assume that such a pre-organised trip includes top-of-the-range locations with strictly controlled access.

Apart from this - there is still enough out there for everybody else and I'm sure you'll get advice a plenty. Your sister might like to hire a car and go and see for herself, book her own accommodation (which is no problem before mid-December and after late January) and approach tour operators. The visitor centre in Cathedral Square here in Christchurch has lots of leaflets with info from around the South Island.

What I've done for prospective visitors is go there, get a handful of leaflets and little brochures that meet their wishes and send them over.

More
14 years 9 months ago #270222 by moggy
Is that $4000 including the flights?

More
14 years 9 months ago #270235 by Andrea1
No, it's not including the flights, which is about another $2000 on top of that. She was sort of expecting it to be a bit on the high side for what she's after, but I think had some severe sticker shock when she got the $4000 quote. All up it's over $6000 US, or $2000/week, and I would probably not do it, but then I don't usually go for the organised holiday anyway, preferring to do things on my own, off the beaten track.

Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 9 months ago #270239 by Seaside
If it were me (I bummed... I mean backpacked around the world for a year or two in 1995/96), I'd book the three things directly with the provider. A travel agent will inevitably take a commission.

I would start by searching the threads on the Lonely Planet 'Thorn Tree' forum, for travellers. www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jsp...mID=10&keywordid=174 I just did a quick search on 'Tramping' and there were lots of threads - and it's from the horse's mouth (people who have been on tramping adventures, rather than the guides themselves).

In a recent NZ Women's Weekly, there was an article (by Paul Rush) on kayaking down the Whanganui river - takes a few days and is very remote, but it sounds absolutely awesome! It doesn't mention any guides by name, but it says "Canoe/Kayak Hire: Commercial operators in Taumarunui, Owhango, Ohakune and Wanganui offer guided trips or independent hire and provide all the gear".

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 9 months ago #270262 by jeannielea
The DOC centres have info about all the walks and their site is www.doc.govt.nz The Routeburn is popular as is the Kepler - Milford gets booked early though. Then she could look at sites like www.foxguides.co.nz to find out about the glacier there or www.glaciercountry.co.nz will give up to date info on whether walking is possible. They will also help about flights etc up to the glaciers. And I'm told kayaking in Milford Sound is very awesome. As Seaside says Lonely Planet or Rough Guide (you can get heaps of info from their site on-line) would be the first place to look. And if she stats at backpackers, they are great sources of info, both from noticeboards and from others who are there.

More
14 years 9 months ago #270323 by kindajojo
kayaking in golden bay is great you can probably google a site, there used to be one that leaves from Maurihau (sp) and you could then tramp back. or vice versa
Black water rafting out of Westport is worth a go, there is lots of rafting out of Murchison and the glaciers are all set up for tours on the ice. I think $4,000 is excessive, what about renting one of those wicked campervans and doing a tour from Nelson to Fox Glacier. We have done some of these and just booked on the day.

More
14 years 9 months ago #270336 by max2
down the road here an old family local is hosting quad bike tours in our area and apparently its mindblowing for the other long term locals who have been on his tour - and highly recommended. Percy doesn't charge a huge amount and I am sure some food is provided.

www.riverlandadventures.co.nz/

More
14 years 9 months ago #270368 by Prim
I was just going to suggest the kayaking and 'tramping' experience around, um, what's it called? Up around Nelson, Golden Bay? Um, um, um OH, the Abel Tasman National Park. Supposed to be lovely up there, but the 'tramping' I think is a little bit like a State Highway so not rugged. Depends I guess on what she wants? Rugged or a little bit pampered? I'd say book when she gets here, but check to make sure what she wants to do is available when she wants to come - ie, is she coming over during her summer or ours? Because during her summer, some of our stuff may not be operating :)

More
14 years 9 months ago #270583 by cantyguy
Try one of the kayak shops in ChCh or contact one of the rafting companies. I was a raft guide in a past life and can tell you that her quoted price is very excessive.
If she is a compedant(sp) kayaker a 3-5 day trip down the Clarence from Hanmer to the sea is mindblowing 160km's of pristine wilderness. She could probably join a commercial raft trip.

Otherwise a sea kayak trip in the Able Tasman would be a good choice.

More
14 years 9 months ago #270593 by Andrea1
Thanks, everyone, for all the excellent advice. I would never have even known where to begin! She's coming during our summer, from just before Christmas to early Jan, so I've warned her about booking well in advance of the tourist hoards (which may not happen this year, who knows...).

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 9 months ago #270603 by Simkin

Andrea;250639 wrote: I've warned her about booking well in advance of the tourist hoards (which may not happen this year, who knows...).

Up to Boxing Day she should be fine but after that there are the overseas visitors and the locals competing for accommodation and excitement. I wouldn't bank on a slow tourist season. We may get less people from overseas but on the other hand many New Zealanders may stay in NZ instead of going abroad.

We've had visitors during January and finding reasonably priced accommodation in the main tourist centres was a challenge, even 6 months in advance. Even some camping grounds were booked out well in advance.

More
14 years 9 months ago #270608 by cowvet
Sea or river kayaking - big difference. one boat is near impossible to fall out of and the other is dead easy to capsize!

Anyway - NZ has a fanatastic kayak school at Murchison along with some world class kayaking around that area. it will cater for beginners to world class kayakers
www.nzkayakschool.com/content/view/16/31/

Sea kayaking - I've done the Abel Tasman and it was fantastic - why walk the track when you see the best of the area from the water. There are hire/tour companies in Marehau at the start of the track.

Glacier expediition - day long trips can be done at Franz Josef glacier on the west coast.
www.franzjosefglacier.com/

Tramping - again we are spoit with some of the great tracks in NZ. Can't go past the Routeburn, Kepler or Milford for the WOW factor. A timely reminder not to do one of these solo or without the right gear. I have vivd memories of getting snowed on between Christmas and New Year on the Heaphy track!

Yes - $4000US is obscene. A quick guesstimate that is she organised it through local operators here then she could do it for about 1/3 of the cost!

I love animals...they're delicious

More
14 years 9 months ago #270638 by jeannielea
I think any of the well known tramps or kayaking should be be booked in advance at that time of the year - or at least enquire if they need to be.

More
14 years 9 months ago #270674 by Huggiechook
How about
  • kayaking/canoeing down the Whanganui River
  • Glacier tour on Mt Ruapehu
  • Tramping round Lake Waikaremoana
There are guides available for all 3 of those (though not really needed in the last one) and the total cost would be much lower than that - especially if you book it here rather than from overseas. Also it is all in relative proximity because i don't think a 3 week stay lends itself to do deep (as in intense experience) AND wide (as in see the whole country)

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds