Checking Emails

More
13 years 1 month ago #18151 by Ronney
Checking Emails was created by Ronney
This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. Is there any method by which emails can be checked before downloading them.

I have one coming through at the moment that has already taken a good 5 minutes to download 25% of it on top of which, it is slowing my computer down something awful. I know who it will be from and I know from experience it will be a load of rubbish but despite asking her not to send them she persists. I have blocked her in the past but that's not a good option as she has MS, is permanently consigned to a wheelchair and her short term memory is not good.

I thought if I could somehow check them before they arrive I could nicely rid myself of the problem. :)

Cheers,
Ronnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #269492 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Checking Emails
You should be able to check them by going to your provider. When we were on dial-up I regularly had to go to the Xtra site to delete emails because it was much too slow to download photos. I worked out that one would have taken 26 hours to download!

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 1 month ago #269500 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Checking Emails
agreed :) .. um when on dial up, i to used to go to providers web mail and check, and delete

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 1 month ago #269512 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Checking Emails
When I was on dial-up with Inspire I went to their webmail site & often deleted stuff (same way as you do when you're on somebody else's computer). I could reply to the emails (from a different location) but did not have a copy myself so always sent a bcc to myself so that it would be on my home computer for my records. I believe you can change the order of the emails which are coming in if you're in a hurry for a small one but want the large joke one to come later. I never got that far.

I'm now with Farmside but it's not super fast due to satellite location. Anbody know their webmail address? Also, how to change the order of emails coming in? Eventually I'm going to need to access my emails from another location when I go on holiday (if that ever happens!).

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
13 years 1 month ago #269515 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Checking Emails
Toast :) their web mail will be on their home page ( Farmside's i mean) .. as thats where i go to get to mine on Infogen
and yes on the webmail page you can shift the order arround :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 1 month ago #269525 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Checking Emails
As mentioned, you can go to the server and check, delete or reply as you can from your computer.
Have you ever checked your emails when away from home?? Same way.

Another way is Mailwasher. It is a free download that picks up your emails off the server, from there you can delete spam and only download what you want in to your inbox.
This will not help if the file is huge as you will still need to download it anyway.
Good luck

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 1 month ago #269535 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Checking Emails
If you use Thunderbird (which I recommend you do) you can turn on a feature to download email headers only. This means that it is very quick, as it only downloads the information*about* the message (who it's from, date, subject) not the *content*. This means you get to see what email you have, but only download the messages you actually want to view.

In your particular case it is probably a good idea to log onto your ISP's webmail and delete it there.

A

More
13 years 1 month ago #269556 by Istrian
Replied by Istrian on topic Checking Emails
You may be interested in a utility - Popcorn - that I have been using for some 5 or 6 years. It's brilliant. It is only a small file and does not have to be installed. Just put the file/s in a folder or on on a pen drive etc. Enter your user name, password, pop3/smtp and you can check/delete your email from any computer anywhere in the world. Being "portable" makes it just such a fantastic utility. The program is no longer available on the net but if anyone is interested to have a copy, just send me a pm with your email address & I will send it to you (209k zip file). Oh yes, it was a free utility when I originally got it off the net.

More
13 years 1 month ago #269568 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Checking Emails
Istrian, you're not talking about Roxio's Popcorn, are you?! Not available any more?! Wow.

More
13 years 1 month ago #269569 by Istrian
No it's not from Roxio. The program I am referring to is ultrafunk email client.

More
13 years 1 month ago #269574 by ame

Istrian;249524 wrote: You may be interested in a utility - Popcorn ... The program is no longer available on the net...

Oh, really?

http://ultrafunk.com/products/popcorn/

More
13 years 1 month ago #269576 by ame
Getting back to the original problem, Thunderbird can help:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Download_only_certain_POP_messages

You could either limit which messages are downloaded, or set it up to never download from the sender who keeps sending you stuff you don't want.

A

More
13 years 1 month ago #269577 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Checking Emails
Thanks for the replies and tips. I'm far from being clever when dealing with anything off the beaten track with a computer so have never checked emails away from home because didn't know how. So I go on to my server website (in this case Xtra) and follow my nose to both access my email away from home and to weed out the rubbish I don't want?

As a matter of interest, this would be one of the rare times the email was worth waiting for. It was a heap of photos of a chap doing chainsaw sculpture and they were fantastic.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 1 month ago #269578 by Istrian
ame, they must have put that link back on. Last time I checked, some months ago they just said it was no longer available. Looks like they may have responded to public request. It is a brilliant little program.

More
13 years 1 month ago #269615 by Bunter
Replied by Bunter on topic Checking Emails

Ronney;249545 wrote: So I go on to my server website (in this case Xtra) and follow my nose to both access my email away from home and to weed out the rubbish I don't want?

Yes, I am on Xtra and use the website ( www.xtra.co.nz ) ...which then defaults to a yahoo thing that I can never remember ... then click on email. You probably have to sign up first time ? cant remember.

I used to use it a lot when on dial up to delete big things that wouldnt download but now use to check emails from work and also to check my spam folder and store the odd email that I dont want to keep in outlook express.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds