Insurances......

More
13 years 1 month ago #18118 by ronnie
Insurances...... was created by ronnie
Rang our insurance company this morning to see why one of my instalments didn't come out last night. All our insurances come out fortnightly.
All was going well until I tried to check on OH's car. The young upstart refused to talk to me about it as I didn't have "Authority". To this, I saw red and calmly explained that we have been with them for nearly 10 years and yes, I do have authority. When he insisted, I sort of lost the plot a bit [:I]and he ended up hanging up on me - how DARE he
So I rang back. Got a different operator who couldn't have been more helpful.
Went thru all the same as with the previous operator. She didn't seem to need authority for me to talk about his car [:0]
Suggested that I am going to do a full review of our insurances as I am sure we are paying far too much and another company would probably be able to do it much cheaper. She went thru all our policies and managed to find all sorts of discounts [:0] :D we are entitled to. So the upshot is, I am now paying a bit less for the same amount of insurance.

Perhaps you should also check with your company to make sure you are not being charged too much? A yearly review does no harm at all, and may even surprise you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #269198 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Insurances......
Ronnie -having been in insurance, I do understand the "authority" situation but what has gone wrong is that now everything is done over 0800 numbers, there is no personal contact so you just become yet another pleb in the system.

I worked frontline (physically) and there were definitely times when you were grateful to have the ability to use that "out" in situations of relationships breakups etc. The problem is that the Privacy Act is a piece of garbage legislation that allows people, businesses, corporations, Government Departments, Banks etc to duck for cover when they don't want to do any work to sort the issue out. How hard is it to take two minutes to ring the partner or Policy Holder and ask if they are Ok to do this. 90% of the time you will get "Well she does it all so no problem".

We still have a hangover from the 60's in our company business that has allowed the male to be listed as the Policy Holder and the female as the hanger on without authority - so that is how it works. I am not even a femanist knowing that I can do whatever I want whenever I want and deal big time to these issues that still confront me after a 28 year marriage - but it is possible. Best line of all " Cancel it!" How dumb is that? They won't take ex off the policy but they will let me cancel it - i.e. Visa card.

You know how dumb this all is? You could get your son, your new partner, your brother in law or a random guy you met in the Pub to ring up and make changes to the account as they have no way of knowing that that male voice (as long as you are standing on their shoulder to give personal information) is that of the male on the account. I always had issues with that situation!

More
13 years 1 month ago #269200 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Insurances......
We never have that problem as my wife does it all :) don't think I would get far if it was me who rang and I'm a male so there :D LOL

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 1 month ago #269202 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Insurances......
My point with the "authority" is that we have been thru that business on several occasions when we first merged our policies - about 8 years ago. But they mysteriously have nothing on file to note this - which is the bit I got so riled up by. Every other company we have joint names on things with have me listed as an authorised person - the insurance company should have this as well because it has been done several times. But after 8 years, seems the insurance company has "changed systems" in that time and has lost, or have no mention of, my authority to deal with all the policies. When I offered to go and awaken sleeping partner to give the damn authority, yet again, I got hung up on [:0]

I also understand its necessity, but how many times do we have to go through this rubbish - surely once is enough. They should note it on the file and that should be the end of the matter - not cause me grief 8 years down the track. Am seriously considering changing insurance companies based on this response this morning, it is just not good enough.

Rant over, for now [8D]

More
13 years 1 month ago #269207 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Insurances......
Jan understand what you mean she checks ours every year or less if we change anything. I thought if you both signed then both had same power so we do

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 1 month ago #269214 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Insurances......
Ronnie - now that I have said what I have said - tomorrow - make a formal complaint. Seriously! Ring them back and ask for the procedure to do so.

Every call to an Insurance Company is recorded and that tape is kept and can be retrieved. The Insurance Company record and file the tape as evidence in case a client has told porkies when insuring but it can also be used to clarify issues such as this. It is a verbal legal document in a sense.

Put this another way - no matter how abusive a client is, you have to deal with that. If you can't, you shouldn't be in the job and no Insurance Company will accept their frontline people "hanging up" on a client. It is just not done - so make a complaint and get an apology and your authorisation "tagged" so this cr#ap does not happen agina. If it doesn't happen - change insurance companies as with the recession, many people are cancelling their policies (stupid but they are) and it is more competitive than ever.

More
13 years 1 month ago #269236 by organicltd
Replied by organicltd on topic Insurances......
Thats why all my insurance is done through a broker. Any thing goes wrong, they are the first to know.

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds