For your interest Safety

More
15 years 1 month ago #18117 by Dream Weaver
Subject: For your interest ... and safety.

WARNING!

Just last weekend on Friday night we parked in a public parking area. As we drove away I noticed a sticker on the rear window of the car. When I took it off after I got home, it was a receipt for gas. Luckily my friend told me not to stop as it could be someone waiting for me to get out of the car.
Then we received this email yesterday: (Monday 30 March 2009)

WARNING FROM POLICE - THIS APPLIES TO BOTH WOMEN AND MEN

BEWARE OF PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE - NEW WAY TO DO CARJACKINGS (NOT A JOKE)

Heads up everyone! Please, keep this circulating..... You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside. You start the engine and shift into reverse. When you look into the rearview mirror to back out of your parking space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you shift into Park, unlock your doors, and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view. When you reach the back of your car, that is when the carjackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off. They practically mow you down as they speed off in your car. And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car. So now the carjacker has your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are now compromised!

BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED...

If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, just drive away. Remove the paper later. And be thankful that you read this e-mail. I hope you will forward this to friends and family, especially to women. A purse contains all kinds of personal information and identification documents, and you certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.

Please keep this going and tell all your friends

http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/cid:3325094512_5881411

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #269047 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic For your interest Safety
Hey smilie, looks like its a hoax that's been doing the rounds internationally since 2004:

www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp

Having said that...would be a effective method if someone did use it! :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 1 month ago #269050 by Dream Weaver
Wow, so many its hard to tell nowdays whats real or a Hoax.
Oh well its good anyway to know what could happen.

More
15 years 1 month ago #269056 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic For your interest Safety
Which public parking area did you park in?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
14 years 5 months ago #313239 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic For your interest Safety
Brought this forward as I have just noticed the following on the NZ Police website:

15 December, 2009 - 14:36
Police are urging people who receive an email about tactics used in supposed 'carjackings' to delete it rather than forwarding it to friends and family, as it is an urban myth. The email has been around for some time and appears to be experiencing another circulation surge at the moment. It gained momentum earlier this year as it contains the name of a Police employee and the NZ Police logo - lending it credibility. The email was passed on, albeit with the best of intentions, by the employee, gaining the staff member's details and Police logo in the process. The email warns recipients to be on the lookout for a piece of paper stuck to the rear window of their vehicle, seen only as they back out of parking spaces. The scenario suggests people then get out of their vehicle to remove the piece of paper, leaving keys in the ignition, the engine running and their bags/purses and other valuables in the car. When the vehicle owner gets out of their car, waiting 'offenders' then take the car and its contents. Police say it is easy for people to be taken in by such stories, evidenced by the fact a Police employee saw fit to forward the email on. Police say it's simply not good practice to exit a vehicle with keys in the ignition, the engine running and valuables inside. Media contact: Debbie Corney Police National Headquarters 04 463 4439

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
14 years 5 months ago #313241 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic For your interest Safety

smilie;248969 wrote: Wow, so many its hard to tell nowdays whats real or a Hoax.
Oh well its good anyway to know what could happen.

www.hoax-slayer.com/

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 5 months ago #313246 by sod
Replied by sod on topic For your interest Safety
thanks Organix

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 5 months ago #313277 by jerry leadbetter
if it's a warning of a scam by email, or a story about a guy who I know...or that you need to log into your internet banking system via this link (got that one again today) or that you have won some money in a foreign lottery (another received today - I should really claim these millions I keep winning!) or a host of other things that you must avoid doing or clicking on a link for...then it's usually a hoax, or worse it could be a virus.
If you're a facebook user there's one doing the rounds where one of you're friends sends you a link to something that "you have to see - you'll love it!" which if you click on the link will infect your system and then email all of your facebook friends with the same message - and you won't be popular. You have to think that the people who set these things up have waaaay too much time on their hands!

delete, delete, delete...

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

More
14 years 5 months ago #313299 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic For your interest Safety
Personally, scam or not - it is a damn good message. Just as locking your car at the petrol station when you go to pay for your petrol - assuming you have left anything valuable (besides your wallet!) in the car. I know I always JUST take my wallet and would lose plenty if someone stole my purse - or my dog!

More
14 years 5 months ago #313314 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic For your interest Safety
Generally when I go to pay for petrol I use my wallet[}:)][}:)][}:)]

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
14 years 5 months ago #313322 by sod
Replied by sod on topic For your interest Safety
To steal my ute then its funny as they have to get pastTeddy Bear who will have eaten them he he :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 5 months ago #313341 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic For your interest Safety
The local police- informing -the -public -person fell for the sniff the perfume out in the supermarket car park story and sent that around.. not realising it was just a story..
Id like to see someone get into my car, not that the dog could get to them but her bark is sooooo loud and deep they would be out in miniseconds. [}:)]

More
14 years 5 months ago #313402 by Westie
Replied by Westie on topic For your interest Safety

sod;298183 wrote: To steal my ute then its funny as they have to get pastTeddy Bear who will have eaten them he he :D

Same, if you see blood splattered over the rear window of the ute, do not get out, drive away carefully and dispose of any remaining evidence in privacy.

What's that I just stepped in?

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds