Food intolerances

More
13 years 1 month ago #18094 by moggy
Food intolerances was created by moggy
Has anyone been through the process of working out what food is making them ill? Something is giving me chronic pancreatitis to the point that I ended up in hospital this new year. Doing some reasearch on the net people seem to be saying that it is likely to be a food intollerance of some sort. I know I don't have coeliac disease, so it isn't that.
So how did you go through the process of working out what was making you ill?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #268662 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Food intolerances
Friend of mine went through a process based on something called the 'caveman diet' - back to basics then adding one thing at a time in. Just googled it and found this:

http://www.drcranton.com/elimination_diet.htm

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 1 month ago #268669 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Food intolerances
Its a matter of elimination and being very strict with yourself.
Over time I have worked out that I cannot tolerate Onions ,anything spicey,careful with cabbage and brussel sprouts ,just about all dairy food,cold boiled eggs especially in sandwhiches and rolls,cooking oil even rice bran oil.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
13 years 1 month ago #268671 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Food intolerances
I hope it is not the same with me kalnetta, you have just listed pretty well everything that I adore.
The only thing I have noticed is that it comes on either if I go out to a friends to eat, or if I have friends over here. Now the food is obviously not going to be the same, but I am guessing as if you have guests over you tend to cook richer foods, so I am wondering if that is part of it.

More
13 years 1 month ago #268687 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Food intolerances
If you can get your GP to order an ELISA test for you, you'll find out what's eating you, so to speak, in the time it takes for them to process the blood test and print out the results. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELISA

If you do an elimination test, you have to stay off a particular food or group of foods (like if wheat isn't specific enough, gluten-containing grains are rye, barley, wheat and oats, though recently I think I read oats may actually be OK even for people with celiac, but don't take my word for it!), or oranges (which then extends to citrus fruits). You get the idea. Anyway, I cut myself off! You have to stay of the food for a minimum of 4 days to allow all traces of it to get through your system. So, it can take a while to work out what's bothering you unless you get an immediate allergic reaction. And by immediate I mean something more tangible than pancreatitis which comes on slowly, as opposed to a rash, gut-ache, headache, etc which can come on up to 24 hours after eating an offending food.

Andrea
Oxford

More
13 years 1 month ago #268691 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Food intolerances
Would another possibility be working out what are the most common intolerances, and then trying to eliminate each one?

For example, my Aunt has coeliac disease but was still showing signs of an intolerance. Her Dr suggested dairy as the next most common culprit.

Hey presto, no dairy and she feels great. What I have noticed is it has to be all or nothing.. as in even a tiny amount of an offending product is enough to really set her back.

I'm fairly sure I have a dairy intolerance, but I love dairy products so I will live with it. And it doesn't affect me as much as it does my Aunt, ie it's not so painful that it puts me off. She, on the other hand, really suffers terrible pain/discomfort.

More
13 years 1 month ago #268694 by LittleLSB
Replied by LittleLSB on topic Food intolerances
I have a dog with chronic pancreatitis and the vet "prescribed" a very low fat, relatively low protein diet of a low fat/low protein meat source plus boiled rice. Its the fat that sets it all off.

After a bit of resarch I also found that a low GI carbohydrate source is best so she's on raw minced rabbit and basmati rice (lowest GI - lower than brown) or raw chicken necks and basmati rice.

Also small frequent meals are best. The dog is on 3 meals a day.

I'm not suggesting that you want to eat raw minced rabbit and rice [:0] [xx(] but a low fat/low protein/low GI carb diet of small and frequent meals might help.

Basically you're looking for foods that don't put a strain on the digestive system and are absorbed slowly.

Also, some medications (e.g. steroids) set of pancreatic episodes.

More
13 years 1 month ago #268695 by moggy
It definately isn't coeliac, I had the test for that.
Although I think I have had it since early 20s, it has got a lot worse since moving to NZ, so my suspicion is that it is something I have started eating since moving here, or had started to eat a lot more of. It seems to be worse in the summer months.
Things I know it can't be:
milk - don't drink it, only use it very occasionally in cooking
chocolate - don't eat it
caffeine, - have cut down caffeine intake to about once a week
cigarettes - never smoked

Possible
Cheese - love the stuff
pies - bad habit of not making sandwiches and just grabbing a pie (high fat content which can cause pancreatis)
I do love spicy food and onions
alcohol - it does not trigger it, but it does make it worse.

Andrea, unfortunately I do not get any allergic reaction to food, so pinpointing it is difficult. I have read that for pancreatis, it takes about 2 days from eating the trigger ingredient.

More
13 years 1 month ago #268707 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Food intolerances
moggy - this would be rare but I am allergic to fish (that swim!) but not to shellfish. As a result of a high cholestrol test, my doctor suggested I start on Fish Oil capsules and see how I go. Well that lasted four days. From Day 1 I had stomach pains getting more severe each day. Stopped the capsules - no pain. Now what to do about the cholestrol? Darn! I do make mussel fritters and would eat any shellfish except oysters (snot) but obviously not enough.

The question is - have you started any supplements that you didn't take earlier? Obviously a very random thought but you just never know.

More
13 years 1 month ago #268709 by moggy
Didi, not a bad suggestion, but the only supplement i started taking was glucosamine and after a couple of months i discontinued it as it made my ankles swell up, so it cant be the culprit. I had thought it was related to a build up of a prescribed drug that I was taking, but discounted that as it has continued since I stopped it around 7 months ago.
I had wondered if it was our bore water and got a filter fitted, but it wasn't that.

More
13 years 1 month ago #268717 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Food intolerances
Didi, I vaguely remember a nurse discussing with my mum bran muffins for decreasing cholesterol - only a vague memory as many years ago, but it was something about comparing those who eat high bran bran muffins vs those who try other dietary changes and the muffins won hands down.

Just found this, but sure there would be more if you did a good search...they are actually really yummy warm :)

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 1 month ago #268721 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Food intolerances
Cut out the red meat, and the routine high fats/dairy/gluten..

the problem with bran or having too much is that it soaks up the calcium that you eat so osteo, can result.. so remember moderate amounts

More
13 years 1 month ago #268722 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Food intolerances
Walnuts, Didi, for high cholesterol. I think google for some more information.

More
13 years 1 month ago #268724 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Food intolerances
BeeDee - I am sure you are right and you too tigger that I could change my diet but to be honest - I'm just not into doing that. I get really confused when we see these obesity programmes and how if they just did this and that all would be well. My doctor also says I am pre diabetic!

I asked my doctor about the latter and she said you could lose weight. We looked at each other and burst out laughing! I am certainly not even within cooee of obesity, I am active but I am a meat and three vegie girl from way back. Tonight I am having a Scotch fillet steak, potatoes, brocolli and grilled tomatoes for dinner - oh and the steak is topped with onions. God forbid - cooked in butter!

I gave up sugar for Lent when I was a practising Catholic at about 10 years of age - not a sweet eater - hate 70%+ chocolate - love my wine (which accounts for the sugar intake!) and hate chicken (tasteless) with a passion. Can't eat fish.

You know what - there is life out there and I just want to enjoy the one I am living. It doesn't last that long (as you discover the older you get) so to hell with it all - live the one you love!

More
13 years 1 month ago #268742 by moggy

DiDi;248619 wrote: BeeDee - I am sure you are right and you too tigger that I could change my diet but to be honest - I'm just not into doing that. I get really confused when we see these obesity programmes and how if they just did this and that all would be well. My doctor also says I am pre diabetic!

I asked my doctor about the latter and she said you could lose weight. We looked at each other and burst out laughing! I am certainly not even within cooee of obesity,

Didi it is a myth that purely being overweight causes diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is a genetic predisposition. If you have the gene, being overweight will increase the likelihood of being diabetic, but you can easily be diabetic and not be over weight if you have the gene for it.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds