Any fitness experts out there? - update

More
14 years 9 months ago #268976 by Prim
So, have you been to the pool and done some aquajogging whilst the knee was bust? It really does make you feel a bit like a girl's blouse, but in situations like this (when you need to keep training, but can't really) it is worth it's weight in gold. Also means you have resistance to that whole leg movement, so when you're out of the water and fighting fit you're strides can tick over faster.

I'm sure this isn't going to be a biggie for you - mind over matter! Do you do the test by yourself, or in a group? If it's by yourself, can you wear your iPod whilst you do the test? (Just wondering - how much work you need to do in your head. Ie, where is the test held? On a track - ok, so you know how many times around - but is there a clock you can see? Are you going to have a friend time you? How are you going to know if you're going 'fast enough'? Etc, etc)

For this situation (only, really) I would suggest you count your current strides per minute, then using something like Podrunner find something with those BPM and take it for a run. Too easy/slow - take it up the next day. Just right? Do it again. Increase BPM every 3rd or so run. Increase say by 3-5bpm and see how it is. Make a conscious effort to NOT SHORTEN your stride whilst running, especially when you start getting out of your comfort zone and really working.

Do you have someone you can ask to even bike beside you? Ask them not to talk to you, to just work you until you're done. Longer runs ought to be slower (stamina - which really, it doesn't sound like you'll have a problem with), shorter faster runs for speed. Don't do short fast runs every day, you'll get depressed at how slow you're getting. So, either cross-train (pool work - work those legs, get them moving QUICKLY) with a short fast run every other day, or play hockey! Downhill work (which probably won't be flash for your knee) does help with lengthening your stride.

Officially (!), you ought to of course be doing decent interval training. Your goal in doing intervals is to train above race pace (ie faster than you need to do your timed run in) so that when you do your timed run, it feels easy and natural. Uh-ha, I can hear ya laughin'. For a 2.4k 'race', really your intervals only need to be say 200m (alth if that is too easy, kick it up to 400m occasionally). Reps should only comprise say 15% of your total weekly workout but gradually decrease your recovery periods (so run 200m in (say) 40 sec (or whatever), rest for 20 sec then repeat (200m in 40 sec). Decrease your recover periods to 15 sec, then down to 10 sec. Work it! Live the pain ;) Don't forget to mix it up - run, as fast as you freaken well can for 1k. Call it quits. Another run, do your reps. Next run, nice, longer, slower (don't shorten your strides!). Then, more reps - but less recovery. Etc, etc. And, don't forget to 'taper' for your timed run (don't go insane and try and 'do it' the day before; trust that your training will let you 'do it' when you need too!).

Hope something in there helps! Seriously, you'll be fine. I am sure that the adrenaline will kick in you'll run like the wind. Or, like a cop chasing a bad bugger, as the case may be. Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #277379 by FencerMan
Well, this morning took 30 seconds off my time and did 10:16, so one second, but im not worried about that!! Can pick up on that no problems next week.

I ended up keeping my training reasonably similar to what it has always been, but a week ago completely change my diet. Im lucky to have a scientist friend who wrote out a specific diet for me, based on my age, weight and height, and what im trying to achieve in mind, so another week or two staying on the diet and i should be nailing it!

Now just need to work on the pressups...lol

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
14 years 8 months ago #277413 by DiDi
That's great news Shaun. Remember those dumb bells are in my carport if you want them! Just grab them if I am not here.

More
14 years 8 months ago #277417 by jeannielea
Great stuff. All the best for next week. since you want it badly I know you'll do it - after all you passed all that intellectual stuff!!!!

More
14 years 8 months ago #277427 by kate
Well done :D :D :D Good luck for next week...

Web Goddess

More
14 years 8 months ago #277434 by sod
Good on you we just know you'll do it we need cops like you (dark glasses beard long coat) lol

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 8 months ago #277481 by FencerMan

DiDi;258154 wrote: That's great news Shaun. Remember those dumb bells are in my carport if you want them! Just grab them if I am not here.

Cheers Didi, I had completely forgotten about them to be honest! I will drop in sometime :p

Good on you we just know you'll do it we need cops like you (dark glasses beard long coat) lol

Haha, that was actually a dress up thing, where we were FBI agents...Dont think the NZ police would allow that dress code lol

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds