i am so P***D off right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More
15 years 1 week ago #268397 by Andrea1
I don't know how we managed it (maybe because I can't be bothered with make-up?), but 12-yr-old daughter (soon to be 13!!!!) announced the other day that most women don't know how to put make up on properly and look like clowns (!!). Don't know when she arrived at that conclusion, but it's fine with me. (She and her best friend at a bit on the tomboyish side, so they might have cooked that one up together.)

We home school her, so there are no rules other than the house ones. And she knows when in someone else's house, both our family rules AND their family rules apply. But I would have to say that while some rules may seem arbitrary, rules are rules and at that age they need to learn to follow, and if they don't like them, then use the proper channels (school government, if there is such a thing there?) to get them changed or removed. Could be a useful lesson in there somewhere?

Andrea
Oxford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #268426 by GloPony
What I want to know is when do kids get to be kids these days? It seems to me they're all in far too much of a hurry to be "mini adults" & this attitude seems to be encouraged by a lot of parents.

To me, a 14 year old girl wearing make up is jail bait! It amazes me how many kids I see with coloured or permed hair (both genders). Who pays for that?! I don't see anything wrong with a bit of eye make up & lippy for a big "do" but I don't see the point in wearing make up all the time unless you have to & can pay for it yourself. Do these girls know how bad it is for teenage skin?

I don't think I'm prudish at all but honestly, the make up, clothes & dancing at some of my son's school concerts were...err...rather liberal & not what I would consider acceptable conduct for teenage girls. With all the gyrating & lewd movements, I half expected audience members to start getting up & putting dollars in their waist bands!!!

I always made the message very clear to my son that some things are appropriate for children while other things should remain the domain of adults. What's left to look forward to otherwise? All these young girls with their grown up looks makes it very hard for teenage boys to determine the age of these girls too. I'm not surprised they get into trouble!

Seems to me that parents these day are too concerned with being mates with their kids rather than being parents & ensuring age appropriate behaviour.

More
15 years 1 week ago #268471 by sod
Glopony Thats why guys pick up girl all done up like that have sex and then get into trouble, if it goes to court she turns up in school uniform no make up and looks years younger :(

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
15 years 1 week ago #268477 by GloPony
Yep sod, that's my point & as the mother of a 19 year old son, I want these "girls" to look like girls rather than mature women so that he's never "surprised" like that. [;)]

A little bit of make up might seem harmless enough but it's all the connotations & what it can lead to...maybe THAT'S why the school (just like every other school I've ever come across) has adopted this stance?

More
15 years 1 week ago #268489 by moggy
GloPony you might think that NZ kids are bad in wanting to look/act older, but the UK is way worse, you have 10yr olds wearing makeup and knowing abnout sex. Here at least kids get to be kids a lot longer.

More
15 years 1 week ago #268519 by GloPony
Yeah but just 'cause it's worse somewhere else, does that make it right at all? We're always a little bit behind the rest of the world. Give it another 5 years & we'll have the ten year olds too. From what I've seen, our kids aren't staying kids for that much longer. I've seen some 13 year old girls with talk & mannerisms that made me blush! [:I] Combine that with what they were wearing & the hair & make up & you would have sworn they were nearly twice their age!

Heck here we are dressing 3 & 4 year olds in midrift tops, short skirts & tights & then wondering why there are all these sickos in the world that abuse children. If society is going to send such mixed messages it can't really complain when some simpleton misreads them, can it?

This has probably all gone a bit off topic now. [:I]

More
15 years 1 week ago #268537 by sod
Agree with you glopoly this is a good chance to get ahead of the rest by not letting it get worse here

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds