i am so P***D off right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #267923 by DiDi
Fencerman...and your proposed career is what???????? [;)]

Can someone enlighten me - what does NDMAH stand for? I won't sleep tonight until I know. Showing my age? :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #267925 by stacey
Lol - Didi that was just me taking the piss on the first page.

It stands for "Never Did Me Any Harm" - a phrase I've seen about, usually used by a person to support their opinion that they were brought up the "correct" way..... :p

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #267928 by FencerMan
Exactly Didi...lol. If its a good rule which has sensible reasoning behind it, fine by me! Also if i think its a stupid rule, but the majority think its good, then ill live happily enough with it aswell and accept it. If its neither, then thats a different story! As i said earlier though, NZ'rs in general really dont seem to group together in mass protest as populations in other parts of the world seem to do. The truckies protest last year was refreshing to see though!

The anti smacking bill is the classic example, which i was thinking about while typing my original post, but was going to leave it out as its a different argument which has already been hashed out, but a perfect example of the majority who believe in something, but not getting together to stop it from going through.

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #267943 by sod
A lot of people tried to stop smacking bill but we know best for you govt. of the day pushed through any way

some rules are there at school to make all equal and this one of those I think

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #267945 by stacey

FencerMan;247635 wrote: The thing in this instance though, and i welcome people to challange me on this, is that makeup is acceptable in all other parts of society, including, (and possibly especially), in the workplace. Brightly coloured hair, visible tattoos, and excessive piercings however are not.

Nah, I disagree - not all makeup is acceptable in all other parts of society. Gothic look makeup and very brightly coloured makeup or caked on make up is in the same league to some people as the brightly coloured hair, visible tattoos, and excessive piercings.

If you mean just a certain look of makeup - how do you police that? Get teachers to measure the depth of the foundation the person has on? You can have brightly coloured eyes or brightly coloured lips but not both at the same time? You can only wear makeup that FencerMan approves of?

So much easier to have it just one way or the other. Much better for all students to just have a no makeup rule.

Seminars on how to dress (and perhaps apply makeup if they wanted it) for job interviews and working environments are great for preparing students for the workplace. But I don't think people need to dress and make up themselves as if they would for their chosen workplace every day at school. What if a student wanted to come to school classes everyday dressed in overalls and gumboots because they wanted to be a farmer, or wear high fashion and crazy makeup because they wanted to be a catwalk model? - that would be preparing them for the workplace......

I go back to my original reason for supporting the no makeup rule though - it sucks to be the kids in school who can't afford the "cool" stuff. Rules like this make it a little fairer. I like that reason better than the points I've tried to make above. Argh it's late - I'm going to bed. :P

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #267950 by moggy
I went to an all girls catholic school and no makeup was allowed. If you turned up wearing it you had a choice, stand in front of the class and wipe it off with a tissue or be sent home and probably in detention.
For me it was a good thing. I was brought up by a mother with zero fashion sense, tbh she had a serious psychological problem about a daughter possibly being more attractive (even if it was just due to age). She would never have let me wear make up. The no make up rule at school was a godsend as I did not feel stigmatised by not being allowed to wear it.

Also enforced was strict uniform. It made all the students equal, so no one could show off their new expensive clothes.

I think let children be children, do not sexualise them too early. In the UK, 10 year olds are already getting eating disorders as they attempt to emulate their model heros. Kids search the net, looking for sexual contact. I do not think making them not wear makeup to school is a huge price to pay for keeping children as children.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #267968 by BillyTheTractor
I went to an all girls school, we had to wear a uniform bought from one specific shop, we had to wear brown or black outdoor shoes with heels not over a certain height, no makeup...the list of rules was endless.
And we followed them. Simple as that. It doesnt matter that we thought half of them were silly and of absolutely no relevance. This was the school we went to and these were the rules. Just as in life there are rules/laws we follow and if we don't there are consequences. I reckon that's what the school rules are teaching us.

I used to get into bother as I have very dark eyelashes and remember being told to stand in front of the class to wash off my mascara with a tissue!

Wear makeup at the weekend and after school.
or if it really is that much of a problem send children to a school that doesn't have a no makeup policy!

Wee Farm

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #267971 by MikeCollett
if you stack silly rules on kids when young, they will learn that there are some rules that are stupid and will learn to treat them with disdain. that will follow thru in latrer life. how about teaching them to think and act in an appropriate manner, that way less rules are needed.
i have no problem with uniforms at work, especially if they pay. these are the sorts of things that are in your contract and you make the choice to sign that contract at the beginning of employment. however, if they turned around right now and added another rule that said all employees must wear gstrings under thier uniforms then i would tell them to go and jump.

I don't mind fishing in the rain, fish are already wet...

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #267974 by Birman Babe
Eyelashes can be tinted professionally or around $12 these days so theres no need for mascara :-)

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #267994 by Simkin
OUr kids attend co-ed state schools and at time of enrollment we were given a booklet which, among other things, contained the school rules. No make-up, long hair tied back, ear studs are the only allowed jewellry. When we sent them there we agreed to those rules.

The zero tolerance just is a sign that the make-up issue went out of hand because - where do you draw the line? Quite possibly some parent complained about other children's make-up.

I think it's not what you think is right - it's what you agreed to accept when you enrolled your kids.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #267998 by Rustie
I agree with Billy, the school i went to had a no makeup policy but did nothing to enforce it so most of the girls wore it until we got a new deputy head who enforced it if you wore too much. We grumbled at the time but did what was asked to avoid a detention.

There are lots of rules, regulations and even laws out there that may be 'silly', but they either need to be changed by going through the correct lines (officially through the school and committee's, etc. or even organised protest).

Talking of silly school rules, the one that got my goat when i was at school was that girls weren't allowed to wear trousers! :(

A good friend will bale you out of jail.
A real friend will be sat in there with you!

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #268011 by The Kats Place
I think if you get the girls eyelashes tinted then you are just encouraging them to find a way to break the rules. If the rules at that school are not the way you want the girls raised, then change schools. You have the problem not the school so it is you that needs to change.

Now ducking for cover:(:o[:I]

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #268036 by digby
I haven't read all the posts but I am with the school. We have 2 teenage boys at an all boys school that is pretty strict.
I think that the rules that they set is one less battle that i have to deal with.

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #268078 by oskatd
Good call, Digby!

I reckon parents have a lot to answer for these days. I have friends who are high school teachers and they get no end of grief from parents for enforcing the school rules. Rules like no mobiles at school etc etc.

I have to say I never see any of the Girls High girls with slap on. Mind you once they get out of school they slap enough slap on to make them look like tarts anyway. Why young girls want to look and dress like common whores is beyond me.... Probably just as well I don't have a daughter!

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #268389 by scooter
Our daughter goes to an all girl's Catholic School....she's started to recently wear make up to school as well...how do I know (i don't get to see them off as I'm either already at work or asleep from working lates)...she's started wearing mine!!!!!

I've told her she will be pulled up at school about it. [B)]

Mind you...they have more serious things to sort out at school at the moment, due to an incident with 2 girls from another school coming onto the school grounds with weapons!

Now that's what I would call more serious than a bit of foundation and mascara. :(

And BTW the foundation probably has a SPF in it so all good.

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds