devils Claw .....any knowledge..for horse.?

More
15 years 2 months ago #18015 by witheze
One of my oldies is arthritic, and nearly 30. Pat Kennedy recommended Devils Claw when I was in her shop the other day. Brookby Farm?? Devils Claw. Has/Is anyone used/using it and does it make a noticeable difference? Thanks for any feed back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #267503 by devan
I used it on my old pony for the same reason and yeah i reckon it helped :) It took a while to kick in, about 2 weeks i think but it certainly seemed to free him up a bit, give it a go...its not that expensive and doesn't do any harm (like bute)

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
15 years 2 months ago #267538 by GloPony
I've had my oldies & another younger cripple on glucosamine & devil's claw & while it helped, it wasn't brilliant.

I stopped feeding these & just left with Equilibrium in their feed & OMG! what a difference to my Clydie X! Admittedly, the ground was very soft last winter & I think that helped him too but he was cantering around the place when the best he'd managed in the last 6 years was a hobbly trot.

I've kept up the Equilibrium but noticed that it wasn't working quite so well since the ground got hard so I've now started him on the Palamountains poduct to see if that suits him better & that's made a HUGE difference already! He is now rideable & even cantered (of his own accord) when I was on him the other day!!

The others have all been fine just on Equilibrium. I know it's not designed to free up joints & stop pain but it seems to have helped my lot.

As Devan says, devil's claw is cheap so no harm in trying it. Just make sure you give the full loading dose before dropping back to a maintenance dose.

It's just my blimmin' luck that the expensive product is the one that works for this particular horse. I haven't tried it with the others yet & I'm too scared to at the price!

More
15 years 2 months ago #267560 by NZ Appaloosas
If you're competing, be careful. Devil's Claw is swabbable, IIRC.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 2 months ago #267572 by witheze
I'm already feeding Equilibrium ......what is the active ingredient in there?? Perhaps I'd better look.:rolleyes: None of the Devils Claw brews I looked at today were cheap! One was liquid form [D.C. Flex] and the other a mix with mussell extract....a powder. Need something palatable too!

More
15 years 2 months ago #267635 by wino
I'm still wondering whether devils claw works or not. Have the old biddy here on glucosamine and MSM constantly and last winter was giving her a dose of devils claw on days that she looked a bit stiff. She's in the early stages of arthritic changes according to the vet, a bit creaky but sound. I am not sure if it worked or not she tends to show no pain, more she doesn't step up behind very well some days.

More recently I had a rescue mini mare on it as she was sore in the back and later her foal who had badly twisted legs had a few weeks on Devils Claw until we had her assessed, it was decided that there was nothing to be done and we had her put down. I think that the mare was better on Devils claw but don't think the foal was. Difficult to tell.

After contemplating I have ended up getting some bute for the occasional days in winter that the old girl looks stiff rather than going for the devils claw this year. Will see if that has any different results. She isn't bad enough often enough to be concerned about stomach ulcers or other effects of bute at this point.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
15 years 2 months ago #267731 by devan
I think that with the devils claw you have to feed it every day, its not like bute where you feed it as its needed

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
15 years 2 months ago #267781 by wino
I was told that as long as the dose was big enough it will work Devan.

The foal got twice daily dosing and it didn't seem to have much effect.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
15 years 2 months ago #267802 by sundaysbest
Hi Witheze
I will try to keep this short and sweet...
My horse was fed the recommended dose of DC herbs (by Brookby) for a number of years and ended up being high in selenium (as 5 of the 6 herbs in DC are selenium accumulator plants). After 6 months or more of research we were able to pin point it to the DC blend.
Also, in my horse there was NO noticable difference in his movement etc or in his joints where is arthritus was... so I am questioned on where it did anything or not.
I've seen the same in a number of other horses when put on DC and taken off it after a number of months.
In order for DC to "work" (which I'm not sure it does)... it needs to be fed daily...
And in conjunction with ACV, as the vinegar helps to "lube up" the herbs and get them into the body... if that makes sense.

I am certainly not a fan, as a spike in Sel is extremely bad for a horse...
I tended to opt for more natural methods, and still do, but not without an extreme amount of research.

Also, dealing with the crowd at Brookby left ALOT to be desired... seems they don't even do research on their own blends.. (grr)

Anyhoo...
You have to try what might work for you.... and goodluck!!
Sundays

More
15 years 2 months ago #267803 by sundaysbest
Also just want to add I've also taken my lad of Gluco and MSM... and have noticed no changes in his joints... he's actually doing better now at age 20, than he was doing at age 18 with all those potions in his feed.

More
15 years 2 months ago #267814 by GloPony

witheze;247256 wrote: I'm already feeding Equilibrium ......what is the active ingredient in there?? Perhaps I'd better look.:rolleyes: None of the Devils Claw brews I looked at today were cheap! One was liquid form [D.C. Flex] and the other a mix with mussell extract....a powder. Need something palatable too!

It's just minerals so there's nothing that you'd think would actively help joint pain but maybe just having a well balanced diet helped?

I was getting the devil's claw from Naturally Equine www.naturallyequine.com/ They're brilliant to deal with! Just deposit the money in their account & they courier to you. I was getting the powder but I've heard the liquid is supposed to be better absorbed.

To be honest, I think I'll just bite the bullet & spend the xtra on the Palamountains. My guy is off Equilibrium altogether while he's on Palamountains as it also contains vitamins & minerals & I'm paranoid about doubling up.

He trotted up for his feed yesterday morning & he cantered up today so I could be happier! He's also got his long strided, active walk back. I almost have to run to keep up with him, he's 17hh & that's a l-o-n-g stride! :D

For what you're spending on the Equilibrium, I'd suggest trying the Palamountains. It cost me $129.00 for 2 litres & he's on 60ml a day loading dose for 21 days & then will be 60ml every 3rd day. So worth it when you see them able to move pain free! [:0] :D

More
15 years 2 months ago #267852 by kalnetta
We have our old fellow on Devils Claw 2 teaspoons in the morning and 1 at night.He is 33 and is doing Quite well. He cantered up the paddock this morning when I called him for his feed.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds