The Battle of the Bulge!

More
14 years 7 months ago #299374 by ruralkeeper
I don't post often, or get to check the site often, but I seem to remember this subject from some time ago. But then it is one of those issues isn't it. I've got issues - 90kg of it, or maybe 95kg........ I recently attended a workshop about losing weight without diets. It had some very good ideas in it. The main ones were visualising yourself as you want to be -but you have to do it consistently. The other big ones were eat whatever you want - denying doesn't work. Put your fork down between bites, chew thoroughly and even wear a blindfold a few times. All of this to enable you to really focus on the fullness of your stomach. I know for myself I am constantly eating when I am not even hungry.

So my challenge is to work out why I am eating and divert my focus away from the food. I did this for the first week after the course and then it disappeared again. Never did do the blindfold. Would love to know what people think of all this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #300491 by The Kats Place
Yah! 800 this week, I'm sure its being able to get outside and be more active.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #300493 by kate
Replied by kate on topic The Battle of the Bulge!
Well done :D :D :D

I think I may have gained 800 though :(

Web Goddess

More
14 years 7 months ago #300500 by The Kats Place
What have you been up to to do that Kate?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #300510 by kate
Nothing...sitting in front of my laptop mostly...and eating [:I][:I]

Web Goddess

More
14 years 7 months ago #300517 by The Kats Place
that will do it!

kats

More
14 years 7 months ago #301059 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic The Battle of the Bulge!
I watched an interesting doco the other week about weight gain and loss. The theory was that your body has an optimum size it thinks you should be.
They took a number of mid 20 somethings and got them to eat a huge amount of food/calories and no exercise over a 6 week period. Some of them gained quite a bit others not much, one built muscle!! and 2 of them could not physically eat that much food without vomiting.
It took less than 2 weeks for all of them to return to their original size when they returned to their normal diets and activity.
I suspect that this changes as you get older, I know when I was a 20 something, I could put on 10kgs and loose it again over a year without much thought, recently however it took 2 years to slowly work off the extra 5 kgs that I put on while on medication for high cholesterol. [;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 7 months ago #301697 by The Kats Place
another 400 gone. god this is slow.

kats

More
14 years 7 months ago #301727 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic The Battle of the Bulge!
When we went on our Round-the-World trip recently, I got a bit rotund. For the first time in my life, my gut was starting to hang out above my belt, and it was difficult to get into my favourite jeans.

Stepping on the scales told the story: 80.3kg vs. 73kg I had been before the trip [:I]

My sister had a similar problem a while back, so I asked her for advice. She suggested all the usual stuff about avoiding snacks between meals but also said that if I really couldn't avoid eating something, try Roasted Almonds because they are very low in fat, and stave off the worst of the hunger pangs.

During all of October while I have been busy cleaning the house, I have eaten smaller meals in general, and had a handful or two of almonds sometimes, if I couldn't help it.

And it has worked: 76.9kg on the scales yesterday, so I am almost half-way to my goal of getting back to 73kg [^]

73kg puts me at a BMI of 24.7 which is in the normal range according to my doctor :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 7 months ago #301778 by The Kats Place
Well done GrantK - its not easy! Well done you!!

kats

More
14 years 7 months ago #301790 by kate
We got a rowing machine today so I'm hoping I'll be joining the 'lighter' team soon :D

Web Goddess

More
14 years 7 months ago #301867 by Westermans
Replied by Westermans on topic The Battle of the Bulge!
I have been away and spending lots of ME time on just that ME :)

I now have 2 running partners and we run over the logging tracks, some pretty tough hills out there ;) we are gone for just over a hour and we do that 4 times a week, we guestimate is 10 -12k, we have built up to that over the past 5 months and i have lost in total 7.8kg and i can pull on my size 14's without undoing the button and zips :)

I am in a much happier head space and my health and fintess level are just fantstic..i have lots more fat to shift but it is shrinking :)

My mates 5 year old hadnt seen me for a month and she said 'oh dawn you have shrunk'...bless her little heart she made my day/week/year :)

I am not built for speed and this has been a tough challenge but one i really enjoy now...i dont sit on the PC all day anymore as i have so much energy i use that energy in a possitive way...cleaning up the mess of teens mainly or animals....but for the first time in a very long i am happy with me and that it showing in my everyday life..

Had to share, missed you guys :)

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

More
14 years 7 months ago #301928 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic The Battle of the Bulge!

Kate;285277 wrote: We got a rowing machine today so I'm hoping I'll be joining the 'lighter' team soon :D

I had one of those but sold it once we bought the farm.

Out of all the exercise machines in our local gym, the rowing machine was my favourite because you could see how many metres you had rowed, and in what time. It was very motivating watching those metres tick by and I had a target to beat, which got more difficult as my fitness level improved. The rowing machine gives just about every muscle in your body a good workout, unlike most of the other machines.

My next favourite was the stair climber, but the price of those is out of this world, whereas the rowing machine was reasonably affordable. With our $ being so strong, they are probably dirt cheap now. The best brand if you can afford it is the Concept 2.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 7 months ago #301930 by kate
Thanks Grant, we're leasing for a while until we know whether we'll use it or not. I thought it would be good for my knee and is meant to improve core body strength which I really need. I used to work out but since the surgery on my knee haven't felt my knee is stable enough for some of the moves....

The other good thing about the rowing machine is that it doesn't need electricity as as we'll be off grid that a real bonus :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 6 months ago #302415 by ruralkeeper
Has anyone tried the blindfold?

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds