Average power bills - monthly

More
13 years 2 months ago #17891 by reggit
We've got our power bill this month and it works out at about $100 per month for the last two.

Is this ballpark for most households? I am out of touch, as we did Evenpay at our last place for the last few years, so the same amount dollarwise went out per month. We were also partially on gas.

What do most folk pay for a month of electricity this time of year? Most interested in those of you who are on electricity for everything so I can see if our solar is making much difference...[:I]

I'm also aware we have had a heap of power use for contractors etc too...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #265659 by Birman Babe
Ours is around $120 for summer and up to $200 month for winter.
We do run 2 fridges and 3 freezers though !

More
13 years 2 months ago #265662 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Average power bills - monthly
We seem to sit at around $120/mth for two of us, being reasonably careful. I'm not sure where it all goes and have been attempting to track down the biggest power eaters, particularly over the summer when most of the hot water is solar heated. I suspect we have an old user on the premises, in the shape of a dodgy freezer. Since it's full of dead rabbits, battery hens, weasels, cats, stoats, a possum, a bit of a duck and various other unmentionables, I don't really want to unload it into the main freezer and turn it off.

More
13 years 2 months ago #265665 by Pumpkingirl
I asked the same question of my brother and he told me the power bill for him and SIL went from $120 in summer to about $180 in winter, and they use gas to cook. However, this year he has got a lot better firewood and it's very dry, so he's hoping it won't be that bad. That said, they're now powering a baby so power bills are now through the roof[:0] :D

With my solar panels, and wetback my useage for the year was 5100Kw, meaning I qualified for low user rates. My bill varies from about $50-$60 in summer, up to $120 in winter but then last year was an odd winter - not enough sun to really get the panels hot, not cold enough to really justify a fire every night, so I ended up using more power to heat my HWC than I thought.

More
13 years 2 months ago #265667 by ronnie
We also have 2 old freezers, which I suspect chew up the power as our bill is around $156 per month for 2 of us. And that is with unplugging everything possible at night time. It is fairly constant throughout the year as the only heating (apart from hot water) is my electric blanket.

More
13 years 2 months ago #265670 by reggit
I am picking that next months one will be about the same, with the loss of contractors use being balanced by the novelty factor of having lights we can switch on and off at a whim :D and a real stove to cook on [;)]

Never had so many lights on at once in my life!!!

I'm sure we'll get over it soon...:rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 2 months ago #265681 by Telly
Replied by Telly on topic Average power bills - monthly
We found that our power bills in our new house are slightly higher than in the older rental houses - despite the insulation (we have a fire/wetback but have a heater in the kids' room). We've figured out it's the lights. We have a lot more lights in this house - lots of downlights and wall mounted lights - compared to the older style rental houses.

Goats: 4 boers + 4 kids (all does[:D]), 1 saanen + 2 kids, 1 toggenburg.
Chickens: Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Araucana, pekins
Pigs now in the freezer

More
13 years 2 months ago #265683 by Bunter
About $120 in summer and up to $200 in winter. Gas hot water, only electric heating is nightstore (about $40 / month) & electric blanket. 2 fridges, 2 water pumps.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

More
13 years 2 months ago #265685 by wino
Replied by wino on topic Average power bills - monthly
Okay we do run a spa - but we couldn't get our power bills under $200 a month winter or summer for three or four years, in two houses. Had the wiring and meter checked in the current house - found nothing wrong. Only two of us in the house most of the time.

Then in November last year we got the hot water cylinder changed from a 240 litre, two year old mains pressure without a wetback to a 180 litre low pressure with wetback. Without using the fire the power bill immediately dropped to under $160 a month. Still have trouble believing a near new hot water cylinder could be obviously so uneconomical but there you go.

Have only just started lighting the fire and meter reader was here today so will be interesting to see what next months bill is.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 2 months ago #265690 by Pumpkingirl
I read my own meter each month and ring it in, to give me an instant total.

I've had to make myself do it, but now I do it's really interesting to see the fluctuations in power. The difference between the March bill (solar panels still heating water alone) and April (cylinder turned on in Week 2) was quite eye-watering. Possibly shocking (sorry, punny me).

More
13 years 2 months ago #265694 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Average power bills - monthly
just me and 2 dogs here ... genisis used to try and charge me $98-$110 a month ... switched to energy direct .. is now round $60 a month ... and exactly the same stuff used as much as befor ... so i have to ask ... where do genisis think they are comming from :(

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 2 months ago #265698 by The Kats Place
I read my own each week and put it in on line, instant total and pay it on line there and then, Not nearly so scarey in weekly amounts. About 45 a week. two freezers, two fridge freezers, one fridge and a spa pool also lighting/heating/ dehumidifier in the cattery and two dehumidifiers in the house always running so thats not too bad I think.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 2 months ago #265724 by Kiwi303
No idea of what is is here... I don't pay the bills, Last time I paid a bill, it was a 1/7th share of $400 a month.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 2 months ago #265726 by Ronney
Interesting. I think we are fairly high users of power and possibly need to look at cleaning up our act a bit in some things. However, I do forget at times that the cowshed probably sucks up it's share of power with a hot water cylinder, machine and radio all of which go for an average of several hours a day. We also run three freezers, two of which are getting on in age, and probably they could be cleaned out and everything put into one for at least some of the time.

The house is overburdened with lights because of the size of the rooms and the size of the house itself means too many lights need to be going to get downstairs, out to the garage and back again without breaking ones neck.

The average power bill would be in the vicinity of $220.00 a month dropping back over the winter when the wetback takes over.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 2 months ago #265753 by beedee
Gosh I allow one light bulb switch per person here, and mine drops during winter using the wetback.. my power consumption goes up in summer due to need ing a fan.. I have a poorly insulated house but do go up to 5 layers of clothing during winter.. think Im about $80/month

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds