Aussie horse hardwear

More
13 years 2 months ago #17851 by oskatd
Aussie horse hardwear was created by oskatd
Now I know the aussies have done very well at our expense this season, winning the HOY title, and Kihikihi. But yesterday I got the H&P and was reading all about it. I have to say I was somewhat taken aback by the hardwear on these winning naggies. Perhaps if we started putting those bits and the like on our horses, we might be back in the game?[}:)]:rolleyes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #265491 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Aussie horse hardwear
I seriously hope you're joking! [:0]

The standard of riding in this country has me cringeing now without adding that sort of thing as well. Uuuggghhhh!!! [B)][xx(]

More
13 years 1 month ago #265586 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Aussie horse hardwear
yes, yes, very tongue in cheek.... Did you see the pictures?

NZ certainly needs a good kick in the pants if it ever wants to be successful at an international level again. We are so far behind the rest of the world it's not funny. The typical kiwi aversion to flat work seems to finally be showing us up!

More
13 years 1 month ago #265644 by GloPony
No, haven't seen them yet. I'm waiting for the mag to come in to the local shop.

I SO agree with you! The sad part about it is, there are many who would probably be thinking what you originally posted, for real!

WHEN are 'the powers that be' here finally going to wake up to what everyone from overseas keeps telling us & STOP teaching people to jam their horses heads down & work hollow?! Kiwis are so obsessed with where their horse's head is rather than how THEY are riding. In my experience, fix the rider & the horse's problems largely disappear.

More
13 years 1 month ago #265664 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Aussie horse hardwear
Firstly, the FEI has to take a stand. They've just said it's ok to pull a horse's head down between its knees. So, until that's policed, there'll be no change.

It would also take a long time to change here; there's a whole culture around it and a lot of people don't even realise they are doing it. I'm a showjumper & I constantly hear dressage riders running down showjumpers for using draw reins when they themselves are doing exactly the same thing (sometimes worse!) but without the draw reins. And they wonder why they spook, rear, buck, blow up in tests etc.

Any instructor who teaches the soft method is run down for teaching people to ride on a loose rein!

I've probably ignited WWIII so I'm off to bed.

There's a great read on the subject called Tug of War. It's available here. Excellent photo's & explains about incorrrect actions which get a wow from the crowd and a high mark over correct work. Book is available in NZ but I got mine through Amazon.

I'm about to put a remit through our area for a rule change to disallow crank nosebands in show hunter. Probably won't get far, but worth a try!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
13 years 1 month ago #265859 by GloPony
Good on ya Toast! You'll get no WWIII from me! [;)]

I can't understand it...one of the most basic fundamentals is "straight line from your elbow to the bit". It's in the damn PC Manual!!!! WHY then do these PC instructors insist on teaching kids to ride with their hands down around their knees, dragging their horse's head down?! :confused::confused:[}:)][}:)][:(!][:(!]

I'm not sure I teach any "method" as such, I just teach people to ride in balance with their horse so that he can use his body effectively underneath them. I constantly have to tell my students to ask LOTS of questions of their instructors rather than just blindly doing what they're told. If your instructor can't tell you why you're doing something (other than, 'cause so & so said' or 'it's in the manual'), find another instructor!

More
13 years 1 month ago #266100 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Aussie horse hardwear
Yay, one of my favourite topics... I so agree, there are people teaching out there who have no right to teach, and others who teach 'my way or the highway'. I am lucky to have a dressage instructor who is in the first instance out competing and winning, and next actually thinks about my lessons. I turn up and she has obviously thought about the next step for my horse and explains how and why we do it and the positive outcomes I can expect to gain. As opposed to being yelled at to use my legs to shove the horse forward into his bridle til he has nowhere to go.

I have found the articles that Bill Noble has been writing in the H&P to be very thought provoking, especially about the German influence on the FEI.

I have found my horse tries so much harder for me when he is in a soft outline and is comfortable in his work, and is asked to do things in a consistent manner that is clear to him. And consequently his early career has been very successful indeed.

Toast I have to say that I have seen some appalling treatment of horses out SJ - yanking reins, riders going hell for leather and yelling and screaming at their horses when they stop or whatever. Alarming indeed. I have friends who refuse to compete because of the treatment they see. I think going out with a well schooled soft horse is the best example to set.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds