Natural fertilisers and how to start using them

More
14 years 10 months ago #17812 by celt
Is there a one-stop shop where I could go in upper north island to find out what my soil is lacking in and what natural fertilisers to use, what seeds to plant to improve it, when and how. Friend of mind got a soil test done and was told to put some lime on and that was it. I know my soil needs lime as all soils in this are are deficient but I really want to have a pasture that is rich with numerous species not just one or two. Is this possible starting with clay soil and kikiyu. Am I dreaming. Got 8 acres of pasture.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #264679 by kindajojo
just read an article in the lifestyle farmer about pigs being natural cultivators as they dig up the soil, fertilise it and eat all the roots of weed particularly good for couch and clay soils. Yhis can be used after planting a green crop such as kale, swedes,etc
I had three unringed pigs last year that turned over a paddock totally, they were very efficient. I then I topdressed with lime (dicalcic) and spead a mix of clover,plantain and chicory from the local seed merchant and a couple of packets of grazing animals ley mix from Kings seeds. It worked well with a lot of chicory and mixed plants coming up but the natural grasses also returned and I think next spring the grass will have taken over. In hindsite I should have left the paddock after the pigs to sprout and the sprayed to reduce the grass seeds. However it will be interesting to see what comes up next spring

More
14 years 10 months ago #264720 by betenoir
Celt, as you're fairly close I would suggest going to Koanga gardens and getting some advice on where to start from there. They have all sorts of herbal ley and pasture renewal mixtures and I always found them happy to share their experience and knowledge

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 10 months ago #264749 by Organix
I Agree with approaching Koanga as Kay & Co are well versed in what you're wanting. Have also PMed you with another approach that may suit :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 10 months ago #264752 by stripey
Organix, if you have a good recommendation who to approach with regards to soiltest and natural fertilizers to suit I would love to get a PM as well. So far, all I can find is the chemical people who mix something to suit my soil test, but thats not what I want, or the natural people who sell the same product to anyone regardless of the soil test specifics.

(Oh, and Kay is not at Koanga Gardens anymore as far as I am aware.)

More
14 years 10 months ago #264813 by celt
Stripey that is what I found, just a bunch of people trying to sell you their products and didn't ask about my particular grass species which will be one of my biggest problems as kikiyu is unbelievably successful as a coloniser. Do you have kikiyu?

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

More
14 years 10 months ago #264826 by Organix

stripey;244220 wrote: Organix, if you have a good recommendation who to approach with regards to soiltest and natural fertilizers to suit I would love to get a PM as well. ....

Done, cheers :D

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 10 months ago #264942 by stripey
Thank you Organix, received and stored for future use... :) .

Celt, no I don't have kikuyu, I've got predominantly reygrass/clover/plantain with far too much buttercup and pennyroyal. The grass- and weed species I am not too concerned about at the moment, for starters I would like to get my soil balance right and then take it from there. Easier said than done!

More
14 years 10 months ago #266586 by Organix

stripey;244427 wrote: Thank you Organix, received and stored for future use... :) .

Celt, no I don't have kikuyu, I've got predominantly reygrass/clover/plantain with far too much buttercup and pennyroyal. The grass- and weed species I am not too concerned about at the moment, for starters I would like to get my soil balance right and then take it from there. Easier said than done!

For what it's worth, your predominant 'weeds' are an indication of moisture holding factors, soil pH and mineral availability so as you get your soil sorted the plant species will change to some degree as conditions fail to suit some and become better for others.

I'm out of NZ on holiday at present so won't go into specifics but the contact I gave you can explain fully I'm sure :)

More
14 years 10 months ago #266747 by max2

stripey;244220 wrote: Organix, if you have a good recommendation who to approach with regards to soiltest and natural fertilizers to suit I would love to get a PM as well. So far, all I can find is the chemical people who mix something to suit my soil test, but thats not what I want, or the natural people who sell the same product to anyone regardless of the soil test specifics.

(Oh, and Kay is not at Koanga Gardens anymore as far as I am aware.)

Ditto, may I have the link/contact too please? We have just had our volcanic soils tested, and I would like to consider further options than what the local fertilizer is offering to SOH.

More
14 years 10 months ago #266904 by Organix

swaggie;246366 wrote: Ditto, may I have the link/contact too please? We have just had our volcanic soils tested, and I would like to consider further options than what the local fertilizer is offering to SOH.

Done, PM sent :)

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds